Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Default AU XR8, opinions?

I recently stumbled across an AU XR8 for private sale for $14,000 ono, it is white, has 17" AU2 Tickfords, LPG (is this a problem on the V8's?), auto, RWC and some rego. I am not sure on the k's as I am yet to call the owner, but the car looked to be in great condition, and I am seriously thinking about upgrading.
Are there any problems known in the AU XR8, and how many k's are too many? I am assuming it may have done a few given the price.
Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated, if it has done under 200,000 km I am considering throwing 12k at the owner and seeing what they say.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 30-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Your eb xr6 manual will be quicker than a Au1 xr8 on gas

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

The LPG will prolong the life of the Windsor by roughly another third. Odomater readings are not as important on LPG cars. Keep that in mind. I agree with Sylox, it will be a little bit of a slug in comparo to your 5 speed especially if the AU is auto

The price is right @ 12k

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Oh, I thought it would probably be about level with my car now. I have read that the AU V8 is the best starting point for modifications, rather than an earlier E-series V8, so with that in mind, is it possible to make the V8 go well with a budget of around 3k, while still allowing it to run duel fuel?
Old 30-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Just got off the phone to the bloke, he said it's stock as a rock except for the wheels and it's done 184,000 km, which isn't too bad.
Old 30-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

seems to me its a lot of car for taht kinda money
i'd be inclined to say it'll be faster then ur EB.. especially since there isnt exactly much done to the EB.

not sure on the mod side of things, but if it was annoying u enough, u could take the gas system off (temporarily perhaps) and see what the difference is.

seems like a cheap price though.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Roughly 30,000k' a year (98build) Which is on the higher side of things but still perfectly acceptable. Being on gas the engine wear would be equal to about 60-80k.
Being an XR8, anything under $18,000 is great. Doubt you'd get it for 12, barely see AU1XR6's for under 16k.
The EB XR6 may be quicker but uprgading to an 8, I somehow think you'll be much happier. I don't think i'll own a 6 again, even getting to used to the 8 i have now.
Definitely a great starting point for mods, as you probably know there seems to be a lot of things aimed at AU/BA on the market but this is where the money is.
Old 30-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Roughly 30,000k' a year (98build) Which is on the higher side of things but still perfectly acceptable. Being on gas the engine wear would be equal to about 60-80k.
Being an XR8, anything under $18,000 is great. Doubt you'd get it for 12, barely see AU1XR6's for under 16k.
The EB XR6 may be quicker but uprgading to an 8, I somehow think you'll be much happier. I don't think i'll own a 6 again, even getting to used to the 8 i have now.
Definitely a great starting point for mods, as you probably know there seems to be a lot of things aimed at AU/BA on the market but this is where the money is.
My thoughts exactly, there is more to driving pleasure than simply being fast in a straight line, and to me, the XR8 would give me more total driving pleasure. He wants 14k, so I can try and be silly and offer 12k and see how he goes, even if I end up paying around 14k it could be a good deal. Will drive it tomorrow and let you guys know.
Old 30-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Oh, I thought it would probably be about level with my car now. I have read that the AU V8 is the best starting point for modifications, rather than an earlier E-series V8, so with that in mind, is it possible to make the V8 go well with a budget of around 3k, while still allowing it to run duel fuel?
Yes an no if you want to get any real power out of them you'll be ripping the heads off both and the manifolds.

Pre - au has E7 heads (CRAP)
AU has GT40p heads (Reasonable)

That being said If I was buying my ute now i would of opted for an EL xr8 and worked the motor.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The eight will have the torque you want, there are a few cheap mod's you can do to totally change the way it drive's, exhaust, airfilter, chip if you wan't, all these will be better than your 6, I have an standard AU III XR8 exhaust for sale if you wan't it. I don't know if they are bigger than the 1st '98 AU's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=JADED6]Roughly 30,000k' a year (98build) Which is on the higher side of things but still perfectly acceptable. Being on gas the engine wear would be equal to about 60-80k.

Jaded6,

Are you saying that being on gas extends the engine life? If this is generally thought to be the case, why?

I thought that because gas burns hotter, it wears the engine quicker. I had to put a new head on my 99 futura due to valve seat recession at a mere 110,000 km's! Man was I hacked off. I installed a flash lube kit as well, but I suppose I'll have a flurry of blokes telling me that they're worth nothing!

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
StorminaTcup

Hi, We bought our AUII XR8 for around 20K, it had high k's for age (2000 mdl) our trusted mechanic inspected it thoroughly, drove it and said "you're mad if you don't buy it, it drives as good as my XR6 (AU ll) ute and it's only done 50k" it had a few minor things that needed doing which the car yard were more than happy to fix. Once you get one you will not look back!! p.s on country driving with a few squirts we have got just over 600k's to tank! hope this has swayed you!!
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
Pursuit250
Neglecting the P250

Just checked out www.redbook.com.au and it tells me that vehicle should have:

average kms: 120 000 to 150 000 kms
Trade in price guide: $12 800 to $15 800
National average price - private sale: $15 200 to $18 700

I find this website to be a pretty good guide. Other than that I can tell you much.
Pursuit250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #14
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I took it for a test drive today, I loved the smoothness and the quality of the IRS. I gave it a bit of a boot on LPG and it went pretty well, probably on par with my XR6, but much more effortless. Plus the sound was awesome. I like the car, just gotta convince the old man to give me some 'bridging' finance until I sell my car.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
I took it for a test drive today, I loved the smoothness and the quality of the IRS. I gave it a bit of a boot on LPG and it went pretty well, probably on par with my XR6, but much more effortless. Plus the sound was awesome. I like the car, just gotta convince the old man to give me some 'bridging' finance until I sell my car.

Hope you get the spondoolies together. Sounds like a nice car. MMMMM V8.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #16
EFFalcon
Last warning

GOod to hear MickyB, i would have assumed it'd go aswell as ur 6.
the AU 8's deffinately seem to go nicely.. and LPG will keep the running costs down
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
XR8GRL