Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Dr Frankenstein's chop shop Fairlane Grille experiments :)

Warning, graphic content!!

Test fit of trimmed AU2 Forte grille and bonnet garnish

grille removed from Forte surround and temporary shot of plastidip.
There is a small gap where the surround meets the bonnet and head light that needs filling.

TL50 grille surround with AU 2 Forte bonnet garnish. (Temporary plastidip until the weather improves.)

TL 50 grille with Fairmont bonnet garnish for trial.

Another

Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.

Last edited by mif73; 31-07-2016 at 01:23 AM.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Dr Frankenstein's chop shop Fairlane Grille experiments :)

Vanquish sandwich!

Ps: I still need to come up with a nice badge design I can engrave on my CNC.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
Drecian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
Warning, graphic content!!

Test fit of trimmed AU2 Forte grille and bonnet garnish

I reckon this would look quite good (and factory) with the grille frame in body color.

Just a question, are the bonnet garnish trims interchangeable across the high series bonnets? I like how the non-Fairlane trims are smoother.

Last edited by Drecian; 01-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Drecian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Hi Jeff,
I agree, the Falcon garnish is a lot nicer and they are interchangeable, only problem is a gap that appears between the Falcon/Fairmont garnish and the Fairlane/LTD grille.
The TL50 surround has a slight arch at the top to contour the Falcon garnish.
If modding a Falcon or Fairmont grille, you would have to add the arch to it or mod the garnish.

The other issue is the gap where the Falcon grille meets the bonnet and headlight. This could be fixed by some plastic magic.

I kept the Falcon grille in case I get time to play with it in some parallel universe perhaps.

Cheers.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I like your work, very interesting! The LED running lights look great!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The strip on the bonnet needs to be colour coded, otherwise looks good mate.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I reckon the TL50 grille surround with AU 2 Forte bonnet garnish colour coded to the car.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #8
Drecian

So your thread has got me thinking about replacing my tired and busted grill, so I got to photoshopping...

A few bars blacked out. This one kinda speaks to me in a understated way. Unsure how the 'blacked out' painted bars would actually look though.

Badge delete. Really shows how big the grille is. Kinda reminds me of those tacky aftermarket chrome billet grilles. That and I'd have no idea how to re-chrome it after, so will probably just have a satin finish.

Anyone else have any inspiring photos of different grilles, or even variations of blacked out bars?

Last edited by Drecian; 07-08-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Drecian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
spooka
Starter Motor

Hi,
What brand or where did you get the chin spoilers mate.
Regards
SPOOKA
spooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post