Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #871
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Was going to go to Fraser Island next year - it will be interpreting

This has been going on for 7 weeks, WTF has the fire services been doing? NOW, they are getting serious with it
Old 08-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #872
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
So I guess you hear the ferry is up and running again. Hope you're hungry because you've got some words to eat

So for those who think the west coast is too far from Adelaide; which im inclined to agree with, there is a ferry between Wallaroo and Lucky Bay (Cowell) which still puts you 1.5 hours drive to Lincoln. I think the initiative of the ferry was to help reduce the amount of trucks on the road. The time youd save driving and fuel costs are sucked up by the cost to use it and its waiting time to get on so the biggest upside is less fatigue and an experience.

spencer gulf sea road/
That is a lot more expensive than what it was about 15yrs ago when I went on it. You'd have to be sh!tting cash like a sewer to think this is worth it.

I think I will be taking the long way around next time, stay in Whyalla overnight with family then continue my journey to Pt Lincoln from there.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #873
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
That is a lot more expensive than what it was about 15yrs ago when I went on it. You'd have to be sh!tting cash like a sewer to think this is worth it.

I think I will be taking the long way around next time, stay in Whyalla overnight with family then continue my journey to Pt Lincoln from there.

gaah its an 8 hour drive, whats your problem? ahh yes kids of course, with plenty of vegetation roos on the road are lower than I have ever seen, do it at night time.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #874
prydey
Rob

Thumbs down Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
gaah its an 8 hour drive, whats your problem? ahh yes kids of course, with plenty of vegetation roos on the road are lower than I have ever seen, do it at night time.
8hrs is just over half a days travel, even with kids.
Old 17-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #875
Trevor 57
is now there

Planned 2 holiday next year, each for 2 weeks. We did the same last year and hardly went anywhere, I hope 2021 treats us better
Old 17-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #876
prydey
Rob

Impromptu weekend away for us starting tomorrow. 3 nights down on the fleurieu peninsula at a family owned caravan park called Wirrina. Been there quite a few times. Youngest likes it a they have some farm animals you can feed (goats and horses). I was going to be working but now I have next week off. Weather is forecast to be low to mid 20's, so grabbed the opportunity to get away for a few nights.
Old 17-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #877
Trevor 57
is now there

It is nice to be able to make a decisions about trips away now that COVID is mostly under control - although we will NOT be going to any big capital cities for a while

We are only taking the minimum off over Xmas new year

We will take 2 weeks in late April / May, then another 2 weeks in late October / November (Fraser Island)
Old 17-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #878
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Impromptu weekend away for us starting tomorrow. 3 nights down on the fleurieu peninsula at a family owned caravan park called Wirrina. Been there quite a few times. Youngest likes it a they have some farm animals you can feed (goats and horses). I was going to be working but now I have next week off. Weather is forecast to be low to mid 20's, so grabbed the opportunity to get away for a few nights.
were you around when Wirrina first opened, big fanfare, big hooharr. the marina was going to be for international yachts etc etc. fart I even did an amway conference there one time
Old 17-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #879
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
were you around when Wirrina first opened, big fanfare, big hooharr. the marina was going to be for international yachts etc etc. fart I even did an amway conference there one time
I went there about 20 years ago when it was like a resort, with a conference centre, mini golf I think, main golf course, indoor pool, hotel style accommodation, restaurant etc. We stayed in two storey apartments that were separate to the main complex (I think they might still be there). It was all quite fancy. It lasted only a few years from memory and changed names a couple of times. Not sure what's left of that place.

The caravan park we stay at is not connected. Just has the same name. I think it's a converted sports club as it still has the main oval. Club rooms are now reception and showers and toilets.

There are these weird looking chalet things you can book as well and I have a feeling they may have been something to do with the original Wirrina as well.
Old 17-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #880
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats it, yikes that brings back memories
Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #881
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stayed at Wirrina Cove last new years. Great family friendly place.
Were camping Yorke Peninsula National Park 18th/19th at Shell Beach.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #882
prydey
Rob

I'll put some pics up when I get a chance of our stay at Wirrina. We had the place to ourselves basically. Was a great weekend (Dec 18 - 22).
Old 27-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #883
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camped 2 nights at Shell Beach campground Innes National Park. Great beach although word got out and was packed on our second day. Good sand, rock pools and good water when we were there. There is clean enough public long drops.

Stayed 3 nights at Point Turton at family's shack. Went fishing with family friend and bagged out on king George. Heap of Rat Kings around the marina and jetty but I had no luck with them.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 27-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #884
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Camped 2 nights at Shell Beach campground Innes National Park. Great beach although word got out and was packed on our second day. Good sand, rock pools and good water when we were there. There is clean enough public long drops.

Stayed 3 nights at Point Turton at family's shack. Went fishing with family friend and bagged out on king George. Heap of Rat Kings around the marina and jetty but I had no luck with them.
I think with the uncertainty of borders opening/closing, a lot of people are opting for the local haunts now. What once was occasional visits by city folk are now being bombarded by those who dont really get into camping and looking for their next holiday fix. Just means seldom visited areas will now be over flowing with cashed up people who previously couldn't care less about Yorkes or anything much in SA.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #885
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I think with the uncertainty of borders opening/closing, a lot of people are opting for the local haunts now. What once was occasional visits by city folk are now being bombarded by those who dont really get into camping and looking for their next holiday fix. Just means seldom visited areas will now be over flowing with cashed up people who previously couldn't care less about Yorkes or anything much in SA.
while i do agree with what you say, I'm a bit more cautious in tarring all with the same brush. Yes, people are forced to holiday locally rather than travel, but they aren't all the types you portray.

On the positive, I think its very good for the well being of these communities. Tourism is what these places live on a lot of the time and this period will eventually pass, but at least these places are having an increase in patronage for a while. Its good from their perspective.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #886
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
while i do agree with what you say, I'm a bit more cautious in tarring all with the same brush. Yes, people are forced to holiday locally rather than travel, but they aren't all the types you portray.

On the positive, I think its very good for the well being of these communities. Tourism is what these places live on a lot of the time and this period will eventually pass, but at least these places are having an increase in patronage for a while. Its good from their perspective.
I completely agree with this part. These communities do need the help and I am happy that they are receiving it.

I guess I am more disappointed that state locals weren't supporting these regional communities better pre-covid, rather than being 'pushed' towards it now because they have no other choice. Just feels like artificial support to me. Once the international borders open, I dare say this honeymoon period will be over to a certain extent.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #887
hayseed

Quote:
Very True, We had a week away Camping recently. Spent 2 nights in the caravan Park at Jindabyne. The couple next to us said that they were supposed to be Touring Europe for the Month of January. But Instead had bought a caravan & went on a road Trip.
they had been pleasantly surprised at the sights & attraction Australia has.. Wife & I got the distinct impression that they were going to do More caravanning & less international Travel, in future.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #888
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:

Yes and Yes. Port Lincoln was packed out with tourists both within and interstate over the past few weeks. Unfortunately, it is the dirty dozen that ruins it for the majority. One of our coastlines was smashed over the period with people driving over the scrub that holds it all together rather than using tracks, camping in spots not dedicated to camping and leaving rubbish behind - meanwhile its a small cohort of volunteers that look after this large area.

Current
Previous

3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #889
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes and Yes. Port Lincoln was packed out with tourists both within and interstate over the past few weeks. Unfortunately, it is the dirty dozen that ruins it for the majority. One of our coastlines was smashed over the period with people driving over the scrub that holds it all together rather than using tracks, camping in spots not dedicated to camping and leaving rubbish behind - meanwhile its a small cohort of volunteers that look after this large area.
packed ! it was stupid crazy for those not involved with tourism. There are some prize drongos around that I would gladly not see here again.
Old 27-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #890
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I think this will be the sadder side to an otherwise flourishing regional tourism sector. You will see more and more of these city folk who care not or are supremely ignorant of the care and respect needed for these communities.

I don't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. But I know of some people who are avid country hoppers (pre-covid) that wouldn't set foot in a camp site or visit some of our awesome regional areas, but now using their cash surplus to put on the grey nomad lifestyle with their sub 150-200k car/van setups all of a sudden, and are completely unaware/uneducated in respecting some of the camp spots and grounds around SA. Not all I will point out. But you would expect them to know better.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #891
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

You can pick the new money campers a mile away, 80k 4wd, 80k caravan and no idea how to manouvre it.
Had to laugh the week before christmas, standing in the check in queue at West beach listening to some random whinging because their site wasnt drive through and they had to reverse the home on wheels into position..lol

Van yards cant keep up with demand, many big brands have such long wait times on new builds(8mths) that they've decided to give the caravan show a miss this year.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #892
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
It'll only get worse until the council starts restricting access, then when all the bogans sell up and **** off back to Bali next year the legacy left behind will be to have stuffed it up for the seasoned camper.
Its already happening around the hills and riverland, places which were once open have been closed or restricted.
Old 27-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #893
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the spot I was talking about above

Current
Previous

Old 27-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #894
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
This is the spot I was talking about above
So much for 'take only photo's, leave only footprints'
Old 27-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #895
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thats just disgusting.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #896
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bush camp and have carted my rubbish 100's of klm's until i find a empty bin sadly this usually includes a bag of other peoples rubbish picked up off the ground at the campsite
Old 28-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #897
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Geeze, newbies trashing the countryside. No different to what's been happening in other states.

At least the OS backpackers won't get blamed for it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #898
prydey
Rob

Red face Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Geeze, newbies trashing the countryside....

At least the OS backpackers won't get blamed for it.
No, just the 'newbies' this time. Unfortunately my observations is it's not those new to camping. These types of things have been happening long before covid.
Old 28-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #899
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
No, just the 'newbies' this time. Unfortunately my observations is it's not those new to camping. These types of things have been happening long before covid.
Yes but not to the current extent, its due to the huge influx of people holidaying at home that the amounts of rubbish and excrement has come to attention, hence the media interest.
This inturn will draw the wrath of the do gooders and soon after the easy fix of restriction.

12 months ago i could free camp anywhere around lake Bonney, now due to ferals and 4wds theyve reduced access to many of the good spots and will no doubt start charging for the few spots, it'll only get worse.

Its hard enough finding a bush camp setting at the moment, with many of them going to online bookings and when you can its packed solid and the facilities are filth.
I can get that in a caravan park on any long weekend or holiday period.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #900
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Yes but not to the current extent, its due to the huge influx of people holidaying at home that the amounts of rubbish and excrement has come to attention, hence the media interest.
This inturn will draw the wrath of the do gooders and soon after the easy fix of restriction.

12 months ago i could free camp anywhere around lake Bonney, now due to ferals and 4wds theyve reduced access to many of the good spots and will no doubt start charging for the few spots, it'll only get worse.

Its hard enough finding a bush camp setting at the moment, with many of them going to online bookings and when you can its packed solid and the facilities are filth.
I can get that in a caravan park on any long weekend or holiday period.
Spot on. Even going to Chookaloo in Kuitpo Forest is almost impossible no matter the time of year last year. Ive tried going mid week, non school holiday, non long weekend and can never ever get a spot. Cannot prebook. Its first in best dressed. Makes me wonder if these 'campers' are actually permanent residents there or not. I've given up trying to get in there, its hopeless.

I have a mates with land in Myponga and Mt Compass which I have been welcome to stay at. So I will probably do that again in future.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont