Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-01-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How "reliable" is our gas?

There are many advantages to Natural Gas. It is cheap, efficient, abundant, and the cleanest of all fossil fuels.

Not sure how it works in other cities, but in Perth reticulated gas is part of every residential subdivision.

In all my years, I can recall only one instance in which our domestic supply was interrupted.

My son is keen to connect a generator, for power in the event our supply is ever interrupted long-term.

The problem is that we'd then have to source diesel to run it. At best, that's a lot of phaffing about, and in the event of a disaster, diesel supply could be more problematic than power.

Kubota (and others I imagine) make NG powered generators, so I was wondering if that were a solution?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: How "reliable" is our gas?

So what would be the difference between storing natural gas and storing diesel in a tank for your scenario.
You can simply run diesel genset and heating on bio diesel.
Very safe to store used filtered vegie oil yourself and blend it with diesel.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive known of a few in perth where contractors have severed the gas line under ground
as inn what i do for a daily job has seen me delivering storm water pit darains n the such (concrete products) for our company to site to be installed and on a few occasions had to take it back some where to be off loaded due to them rupturing a line and halting work
heck even when they did the road works out side my place they had done the same here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The problem is that we'd then have to source diesel to run it. At best, that's a lot of phaffing about, and in the event of a disaster, diesel supply could be more problematic than power.
now in an event of a disaster big enough to cause problems for diesel supplies it'd have to be of a catastrophic scale and dare i say you'd have a lot of trouble finding a forklift gas bottle to change out
where as at least youd be able to syphon drain liquid fuel from any vehicle or other said engine
gas youd be looking at bottles and i think youd find theres a limit to the amount allowed stored on a residential property being under pressure and all and any bottle above a fork size if hard to man handle at the best of times
we use to have oil heated houses and storage tanks
i think your allowed at least 1000lts of diesel stored (an ibc) and mini tankers can come and fill for you and its the least volatile fuel and not stored under pressure
but if your really worried about a said earth shaking disaster and availability of fuels then maybe a genset that could run on home made bio fuels
or better said renewable's and storage with solar wind and even hydro from the water flowing in your downpipes to cover all bases

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 02-01-2021 at 11:32 AM.
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yes, diesel would be my choice over gas in this situation.

Of all the main fuels, it is the easiest to obtain / replicate.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
ive known of a few in perth where contractors have severed the gas line under ground
as inn what i do for a daily job has seen me delivering storm water pit darains n the such (concrete products) for our company to site to be installed and on a few occasions had to take it back some where to be off loaded due to them rupturing a line and halting work
heck even when they did the road works out side my place they had done the same here too

now in an event of a disaster big enough to cause problems for diesel supplies it'd have to be of a catastrophic scale and dare i say you'd have a lot of trouble finding a forklift gas bottle to change out
where as at least youd be able to syphon drain liquid fuel from any vehicle or other said engine
gas youd be looking at bottles and i think youd find theres a limit to the amount allowed stored on a residential property being under pressure and all and any bottle above a fork size if hard to man handle at the best of times
we use to have oil heated houses and storage tanks
i think your allowed at least 1000lts of diesel stored (an ibc) and mini tankers can come and fill for you and its the least volatile fuel and not stored under pressure
but if your really worried about a said earth shaking disaster and availability of fuels then maybe a genset that could run on home made bio fuels
or better said renewable's and storage with solar wind and even hydro from the water flowing in your downpipes to cover all bases
Think you be severely restricted in suburbs on what amount of fuel you can store but with rural properties would be entirely different, you would have to follow your local government & shire regulations as to your intended purposes eg/ farms or businesses.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Think you be severely restricted in suburbs on what amount of fuel you can store but with rural properties would be entirely different, you would have to follow your local government & shire regulations as to your intended purposes eg/ farms or businesses.
severely restricted in suburbs
yes , and im in the verbs of perth
id still be surprised if you couldnt keep 1000lts on your property
not like the farmers i know that have 10000 to 50000 lts stored
i know local houses that still have the oil heaters with storage tanks and im allowed to bring the prime mover home and that has 1000 cap in its tanks so
id be surprised if he couldnt keep 1000 buy like he'd need to for a gen set id prob keep a 44 gal drum

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A gennie running on NG would be the simplest way to protect against run of the mill blackouts. No mucking about with fuel tanks, etc.

But yes, the question is how robust the gas infrastructure is, in the event of a bigger issue.?
Hypothetically, if we were hit so hard by a pandemic that we struggled to keep our electricity supply operational, is the gas system easier to keep running??
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
A gennie running on NG would be the simplest way to protect against run of the mill blackouts. No mucking about with fuel tanks, etc.

But yes, the question is how robust the gas infrastructure is, in the event of a bigger issue.?
Hypothetically, if we were hit so hard by a pandemic that we struggled to keep our electricity supply operational, is the gas system easier to keep running??
Dazz, Am I correct in assuming that you already have Natural gas reticulated to your House ? & you want to run a NG generator from a barbeque Bayonet outlet outside of your House.. & you won't (or don't Need ) to store NG at Home ??
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post