Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 14-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Abb0
Starter Motor

Default 1990 Laser Auto Choke

Hey There,

Before this afternoon I thought that I could answer most questions regarding carbies. After all, they're basically a calibrated fuel leak, right?

Now, I've been having starting issues with my 1990 Laser in that the choke didn't appear to be working. I tried the "press the go pedal to the floor before cranking" with no joy. So today I took the aircleaner off only to find that the choke butterfly was indeed closed. Yet the engine was still only trying to idle at normal revs. As the engine warmed the choke butterfly slowly opened until it was verticle. What else needs to happen when the choke is on/engaged for the engine to rev higher?

Another issue that may or may not be related is that the vacuum controlled secondry throat doesn't appear to be opening. Should I be able to see it opening by manually manipulating the throttle while the engine is running? I was revving from idle (to try to load it up) but it never opened. It seems to be activated by a vacuum/diapragm arrangment. Has anyone had problems with this before.

And if you've read to the end of this, thanks for being patient

Cheers
Abb0

Abb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Is there power getting to the auto choke???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Abb0
Starter Motor

Power? :(

I didn't realise there was power applied to the carb.

I think this might be a case where a trip to the library to have a look at the manual might be in order.

Thanks for the help.
Abb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Chrisshu
Starter Motor

(1) Hi, the choke appears to be working if it opens when warming up. There are 3 screws on the side of the choke to allow adjustment of the plate with markings on the top cover of the choke. (2) The secondary butterfly is opened by a connected lever at about 3/4 throttle and vacuum when the primary is fully opened. If the choke is working correctly, then you have other problems. Chrisshu
Chrisshu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post