Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Panda11
Starter Motor

Default 2011 Focus Hatch head unit replacement

As a solution to get dash cam, reverse camera and sat nav installed, I am looking for replacement of headunit for my 2011 hatch. I believe current factory unit is 1din. Can anybody recommend the brand or where to get the replacement done?
Panda11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2011 Focus Hatch head unit replacement

watch out for the cheap chinese units they may not be compatible wiring and not work with steering wheel controls
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a “cheap” ($400) unit. All wiring works and steering wheel controls. I have a 3+ year old unit so the new ones are obviously better. I replaced the boot handle with one that has an integrated camera to keep it looking stock.

I update the maps myself which isn’t very difficult. Comes with iGO for navigation which is actually decent.

Ask me any questions.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
vfmarky
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
I have a “cheap” ($400) unit. All wiring works and steering wheel controls. I have a 3+ year old unit so the new ones are obviously better. I replaced the boot handle with one that has an integrated camera to keep it looking stock.

I update the maps myself which isn’t very difficult. Comes with iGO for navigation which is actually decent.

Ask me any questions.
Hi, based your experience would it be possible to replace the head unit in my 2012 LW 1.6 Ambient hatch with the later Sony unit? What I’m after achieving is the bigger screen with its reverse camera facility and Navi. I’ve looked at some of the Chinese units and decided no, partly because of having to drop the media player...
vfmarky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfmarky View Post
Hi, based your experience would it be possible to replace the head unit in my 2012 LW 1.6 Ambient hatch with the later Sony unit? What I’m after achieving is the bigger screen with its reverse camera facility and Navi. I’ve looked at some of the Chinese units and decided no, partly because of having to drop the media player...
I don’t think you can upgrade as you will need the Ford loom if you want a reverse camera to work. Not sure if the Ambiente has the GPS antenna installed, I think mine did even though it was a Trend, I still had to install my own antenna as Ford uses their own connectors.
For example, the standard Ford loom has one large connector but the Sony loom uses two so not sure even if it does work if everything will work.

What do you mean drop the media player? They can play CDs, DVDs, play music from USB, wireless CarPlay, media players if they are an Android app.
The only thing I lost was iPod support but wireless CarPlay makes up for that for me.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
vfmarky
Starter Motor

Thanks for the response, so I would be better off with a third party unit. Who supplied your unit if may ask. All of the Android units I’ve found so far have no CD player...
Old 19-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
vfmarky
Starter Motor

Another question on this topic is what’s the difference between 1 Din and 2 Din?
Old 19-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

size of the hole in the dash that the unit goes into
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #9
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought form this store https://www.aliexpress.com/store/136738
They don't sell the same one as I bought since that was over 4 years ago but this is probably the closest thing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001196862190.html and it plays CDs/DVDs.
There are many sellers that still sell a CD playing unit but not so much anymore.

Installation is pretty much plug and play although I did have to route a new mic and GPS antenna, not a big deal considering all the benefits.

1DIN and 2DIN is pretty much not a thing anymore on new cars since the radio sits in a proprietary holder, not like the old days unfortunately.
If you want to buy a frame that let's you put a 1DIN or 2DIN radio you're looking at half the cost of a whole new unit anyway so what's the point?
Old 19-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
vfmarky
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=stefcio007;6493066]I bought form this store https://www.aliexpress.com/store/136738
They don't sell the same one as I bought since that was over 4 years ago but this is probably the closest thing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001196862190.html and it plays CDs/DVDs.[QUOTE]

I think this might do the job stefcio007! Thanks for the heads up (pun intended)...
Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just upgraded so selling my current one for cheap. I’m located in VIC.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
vfmarky
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
I just upgraded so selling my current one for cheap. I’m located in VIC.
Which one did you upgrade to Stefcio007? I’m torn between XTRONS with no CD player and Seicane with CD...
What are you selling btw? ��
Old 19-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I accidentally softbricked my new unit trying to customise it so I'm keeping my old one for now.

Upgraded to the one with a UiSC7862 CPU and 9" 1280x720 IPS QLED screen, looks like the same screen used in Sync 3 cars?

Anyway, lots of work to be done after I unbrick it and as it's just been released the XDA and 4pda community don't know much compared to older units.