Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2023, 10:37 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default School holidays - be wary of the opportunist thief.

Had my territory broken in to today. It was in the carport but roller door was up. I was out with my daughter but my wife was home.

Brazen scum.!!

After I got home my daughter went out to my car to get a book she'd left in there earlier in the week. She came back in to say both passenger side doors were open (ajar) and the console lid was up and my tool wallet, which is usually in the back was open on the rear seat.

After going to investigate, despite there being more expensive things in the car all they took was my 4th gen ipod out of the console. All tools seemed to be accounted for and thankfully no damage done.

I filed a police report but hardly worth getting insurance involved. A claim will cost me more than an ipod is worth.

Still, it's left us all feeling a bit uncomfortable knowing someone was on our property while someone was home.

I'm guessing it was kids and just knicking stuff they can fit in their pocket.

Theiving scum.
Old 31-12-2023, 10:50 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: School holidays - be wary of the opportunist thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Had my territory broken in to today. It was in the carport but roller door was up. I was out with my daughter but my wife was home.

Brazen scum.!!

After I got home my daughter went out to my car to get a book she'd left in there earlier in the week. She came back in to say both passenger side doors were open (ajar) and the console lid was up and my tool wallet, which is usually in the back was open on the rear seat.

After going to investigate, despite there being more expensive things in the car all they took was my 4th gen ipod out of the console. All tools seemed to be accounted for and thankfully no damage done.

I filed a police report but hardly worth getting insurance involved. A claim will cost me more than an ipod is worth.

Still, it's left us all feeling a bit uncomfortable knowing someone was on our property while someone was home.

I'm guessing it was kids and just knicking stuff they can fit in their pocket.

Theiving scum.
Had my office at work broken into twice, and they tipped the whole office upside down looking for cash.

They missed our swear jar sitting in plain sight with over $100 in it, both times

Would come into work, windows smashed, doors reefed open, office tipped upside down.

They'd never take any stock, which I thought was strange - theres some real valuable stuff. CEO's expensive hand bag got stolen, that was about it.

Police would come, dust everything for finger prints, nothing would happen, no one found.

The second time I left their finger print dust stuff everywhere, ready for the third time.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Few year back my wife's Merc coupe and a Renault Koleos in the carport roller door down no other way into my yard but over the fence, same thing doors open on both cars, was nothing in the Merc to steal as it was up for sale, so it was OK, but the Koleos they took the GPS map card out of its slot in the console, wife's uni bag with all her uni stuff, a jacket and some small change, the GPS card cost $600 to replace as the car was 8 weeks old, insurance (SGIO) said its not part of the car so its not covered even though its factory fitted GPS, wife's uni stuff was irreplaceable Exam stuff, cars are now always locked even if we are only going inside for a minute, I also installed a decent camera system, have caught 2 thieves in 8 years with it since, 1 was a young neighbour his dad sorted it for me when I showed hm the footage.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 05:14 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's very unsettling knowing someone has been so close to home and violated personal space, How did they gain access to inside the car Rob ?.
Did they force their way in with damage ?.

I know it's more then likely everywhere these days, but I read the new's every day, like most of us probably do, and more and more violent happenings or reports, I've noticed have been coming out of South Australia, Adelaide recently.

There's always the gangland shootings in Sydney etc which people probably expect now, but when it comes to individual violent matters, there seems to be more and more reports these days that they are from over there.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2024, 05:18 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Talking Re: School holidays - be wary of the opportunist thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

They missed our swear jar sitting in plain sight with over $100 in it, both times

So you had just emptied the Jar 30 mins prior to locking up for the day!!.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 06:54 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
So you had just emptied the Jar 30 mins prior to locking up for the day!!.
I was the biggest contributor to it, I put around $85 worth of 20 cent coins into that thing, biggest scam ever.

I think we accidentally left it in the building when we moved, so we never did anything with the money
Old 01-01-2024, 07:02 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
It's very unsettling knowing someone has been so close to home and violated personal space, How did they gain access to inside the car Rob ?.
Did they force their way in with damage ?.
I rarely lock my car when it's in the carport. I often have at least 1 door up if I'm home. We live in a pretty good area on a quiet street opposite a reserve. Been here for 15 years and never had issues... Bit of a wake up call about being a bit blaze.

So thankfully no damage done to the actual car. Thankfully I also had my sunglasses with me as the sunglasses holder was open.

As for crime in Adelaide I don't think it's any more prevalent than every other city.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:43 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
I rarely lock my car when it's in the carport. I often have at least 1 door up if I'm home. We live in a pretty good area on a quiet street opposite a reserve. Been here for 15 years and never had issues... Bit of a wake up call about being a bit blaze.

So thankfully no damage done to the actual car. Thankfully I also had my sunglasses with me as the sunglasses holder was open.

As for crime in Adelaide I don't think it's any more prevalent than every other city.
Phone up Policelink to make a report, the operator sees a vehicle is involved, Oh! We have to notify Forensics! Forensics read the report... owner didn't lock the vehicle? Offender opened an unlocked door to see what's inside. It's frustrating.

We are on 2 acres, but all cars in the front yard are locked. All cars in the back yard need massive restoration, or big car parts moved to get them out.

The other theory I suggest is the school teachers are bored, and causing trouble while on holiday.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:21 AM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but just don't leave valuables in your car.

There was a period when the streets in our area were getting hit. It all started when someone left a wallet in their car. They came back again and again for about 1-2 weeks, but after they found nothing, they left. Neighbours have CCTV footage, but they aren't clear enough to identify the individuals, who were mainly hitting cars parked on the streets, rather than driveways.

My car got ransacked once, when my rear door actuator was broken (which I didn't know at the time). My dog went sick at 3am, I thought he was just having a crack at a possum, and wasn't until morning that I saw all the crap in my console spilled everywhere in the backseat. The most valuable thing I had in there was my SCT Flasher tuner . They didn't take it.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 10:59 AM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Opportunist theft has always been around, more so these days, I never leave my vehicles unlocked if my roller door is up, if any door is down most the time, what they cannot see cannot entice the thieving s****
Try installing a few security cameras, they do work to a degree, but not for hardcore thieves.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but just don't leave valuables in your car.
Nothing of value was visible. I don't think it matters much. You can analyse it to death but I think most times it's just bad luck.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:08 AM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer agreed prydey but expect the unexpected today.

I'm in a pretty secluded quiet area - unassuming culdasac that hardly sees any through traffic but for residents/relos/friends 99% of the time.
Low and behold there was a robbery for the 1st time in years and years caught intruder by a neighbours camera therefore calling the cops.
Were in a bush background area, he ran off knowing he got spotted having spotted the cops, ran off hid in the bush but thankfully they got him due to having brough a dog with them.
This was being reported on our street whatsapp group, found out he robbed 3 other homes of jewellery etc but as said they got him.
I bought cameras for the heck couple of years ago, got lazy hadn't put them up.
My wife and daughter got quite scared what occurred therefore I bought couple more now fitted 4 cameras around the house.
Cheap peace of mind even though we probably won't experience another robbery for years but who knows.
Kids on drugs and homeless is growing the cops said.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:37 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yer agreed prydey but expect the unexpected today.

I'm in a pretty secluded quiet area - unassuming culdasac that hardly sees any through traffic but for residents/relos/friends 99% of the time.
Low and behold there was a robbery for the 1st time in years and years caught intruder by a neighbours camera therefore calling the cops.
Were in a bush background area, he ran off knowing he got spotted having spotted the cops, ran off hid in the bush but thankfully they got him due to having brough a dog with them.
This was being reported on our street whatsapp group, found out he robbed 3 other homes of jewellery etc but as said they got him.
I bought cameras for the heck couple of years ago, got lazy hadn't put them up.
My wife and daughter got quite scared what occurred therefore I bought couple more now fitted 4 cameras around the house.
Cheap peace of mind even though we probably won't experience another robbery for years but who knows.
Kids on drugs and homeless is growing the cops said.
One of my work colleagues moved into the area and his house has cameras all over it, thought it was a bit strange but it seems to be the done thing these days.

It all helps I guess.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 01:44 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

My Mrs wants some form of security installed. She was the one at home and it's shook her a bit. Me as well, knowing someone was in the property with my wife home alone.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:52 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Just as a temp thing, swan make dummy cameras that look identical to the real thing. They take a battery to make the red light work. Bang up 1 or 2 of those whilst you investigate a real security solution.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 01:57 PM   #16
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
One of my work colleagues moved into the area and his house has cameras all over it, thought it was a bit strange but it seems to be the done thing these days.

It all helps I guess.
A mate has a heap of cameras and had a dispute with a courier company over a non delivery.
The company claimed the parcel had been delivered, my mate told the company they have cameras with footage and no one apart from family members entered and left the property on the day in question. The parcel turned up the next day.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Just as a temp thing, swan make dummy cameras that look identical to the real thing. They take a battery to make the red light work.
Moreover, there’s zero chance they have firmware with a backdoor to China.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 02:04 PM   #18
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Thieves will nick anything at anytime these days.
We once foiled a couple of tools trying to scramble over the top of a razor wired fence with a fellow sailors zodiac dinghy in the middle of the night during a wild storm.

They must have been on the wacky weed at the time cause it would have been easier to simply drop it in the water and row away.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 02:11 PM   #19
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes - thats what got me from my wifes pov.
I'm away a bit due to biz and that robbery rocked her and my daughter a bit for I was away then.
Easy fix - I got Uniden Solo's - all through your bluetooth, download their app and your away.
I needed a couple that were weather proof so 2 out in the elements 2 under cover.
Once set up in your mobile the wife downloaded the app and I could link her.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 02:19 PM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

In context of the original post, perhaps a dual channel dash camera with parking mode would be a good solution?
Old 02-01-2024, 02:29 PM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Moreover, there’s zero chance they have firmware with a backdoor to China.
What are you doing in your yard that you don't want the Chinese government knowing about, Mr Bender?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 02:32 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Minding my own business, something authoritarian regimes are incapable of.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:35 PM   #23
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
A mate has a heap of cameras and had a dispute with a courier company over a non delivery.
The company claimed the parcel had been delivered, my mate told the company they have cameras with footage and no one apart from family members entered and left the property on the day in question. The parcel turned up the next day.

we have had the same thing happen - and like you no item turned up. also had items turn up ....... at neighbours homes [x2] they even sent a pic of a neighbours front door .. i sent a pic back saying - this is our front door .... the 1st neighbour i went over & asked em n got it. 2nd eventually said we have an item of yours & dropped it off [don't get along with the old man but get along with the daughter]. missus also bought an item from tempo [?] & they twice said they sent it we said no footage of any delivery found. our cameras are on 24/7 and we have 4 for the front as we did have a drug dealer next door at one stage. we also have footage of a police raid & the swat team.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 04:10 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

What I like about my cameras is that you can check up on your house while you away, with some security cameras you can actually communicate with visitors such as couriers when not home, handy feature.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 04:14 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
What I like about my cameras is that you can check up on your house while you away, with some security cameras you can actually communicate with visitors such as couriers when not home, handy feature.
Think I prefer my bulldog (bordering Karen) next door neighbour, she never lets anything get past her without ringing me first.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 04:43 PM   #26
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or for me at my old rural property, sleeping/lying in bed and my German Shepherd who slept near the front door with wall height windows either side goes mental in the night.
Log onto the camera app and check all the cameras.
Usually the neighbours cat, or a random possum or rabbit.
I guess it be handy if the worst were to happen. Although unsure how I’d react.

Good excuse to always have a GSD.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 05:05 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Think I prefer my bulldog (bordering Karen) next door neighbour, she never lets anything get past her without ringing me first.
One of my neighbors is like that, he knows what I'm doing before I even do.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 06:01 PM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
yep whereever you are you can spy away.
Especially on the kids - they wave many times to the cam knowing sooner or later Dad is watching, more so we have lol's when I put the speaker on and say not to raid my bar fridge !
Heaps cheaper than feeding a K9 and no mess
Old 02-01-2024, 06:11 PM   #29
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My Mrs wants some form of security installed. She was the one at home and it's shook her a bit. Me as well, knowing someone was in the property with my wife home alone.
When she was single, my now wife was watching TV in the lounge and heard something from the adjacent kitchen.
Some dude trying to pull the micriwave out through the window to the driveway.
Was in the 80s and in ****sville north.

Sorry to hear about the invasion.
Hopefully no marks left on the car and you and the fam can put it down to little ****s getting some kicks and playing criminal, rather than a more serious concern.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #30
4stanger