Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Just purchased 2003 LR LX Focus Sedan

Hi guys, just purchased a Focus to use as the every day driver and as the shopping trolley, needed to stop driving the Sprint so much.

Any way have a couple of issues.

Firstly I noticed went I drove it for the first time at night the dash lights were really dim, I noticed a rotating switch next to the headlight switch but this doesnt make any difference, any thoughts??

Also I noticed the bonnet near the windscreen seems to 'flap' about a bit, is this normal - the bonnets on these do seem a bit flimsy compared to the old E-series.

Other than that, I loving it so far, the 1.8 seems to run on the smell of an oily rag, the seats are comfortable, the factory stereo seems pretty reasonable and the boot is HUGE!

Cheers

Richard

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just purchased 2003 LR LX Focus Sedan

welcome to the focus family, I came from an e-series to a focus aswell. one of the first thing I noticed aswell was that the focus has a supprisingly big boot. I know with my mums LR the dial near the steering wheel adjusts the headlight hight, used when towing so your lights dont blind on comming cars when you have extra weight on the back.

Id say the owners manual should tell you for sure if thats what its for.

As for the bonnet, I'd check to see that the bolts are tight on the bonnet hinge.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Welcome to the Focus.

A couple of hints.

There are TWO dials near the light switch. One goes up and down. That's the headlight level adjustment, so as Neale says, be careful you don't tilt them up in drivers eyes. The second one is below that and moves from side to side. That's the one that adjusts the brightness of the instrument lights. To the right for the brightest setting

Bonnet wobble. Believe it or not, that's standard. Mine has always done the same thing. I've tightened the bonnet hinge bolts and it makes no difference. But I've done over 100,000 km in mine now and it has never caused an issue.

Enjoy! No doubt other queries will pop up so don't be shy in asking. (ps I assume you've worked out how to open the bonnet? Keyhole behind badge?)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "Bonnet wobble, believe it or not that's standard".

Ah, well I must be lucky as mine's rock solid but one other problem (as it's been mentioned plenty before) watch out for the panel between the windscreen and bonnet that has the Pollen Filter. If it's not replaced correctly it'll allow water in to the footwell/s. It's happened to my '03 and the panel has been replaced and it's starting to warp AGAIN for the second time.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Id say the owners manual should tell you for sure if thats what its for.
Unfortunately that is missing, will have to ring Ford I think to get a replacement, not looking forward to hearing the price.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.

Last edited by GTENVY; 12-06-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Just purchased 2003 LR LX Focus Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
There are TWO dials near the light switch. One goes up and down. That's the headlight level adjustment, so as Neale says, be careful you don't tilt them up in drivers eyes. The second one is below that and moves from side to side. That's the one that adjusts the brightness of the instrument lights. To the right for the brightest setting?)
Cheers for that - will have a squizz in the morning :-)

Quote:
Bonnet wobble. Believe it or not, that's standard. Mine has always done the same thing. I've tightened the bonnet hinge bolts and it makes no difference. But I've done over 100,000 km in mine now and it has never caused an issue.?)
Ok cool, I just though it was me lol

Quote:
Enjoy! No doubt other queries will pop up so don't be shy in asking. (ps I assume you've worked out how to open the bonnet? Keyhole behind badge?)
Yeah Mum has a LS Focus, sorta span me out when I first saw that's what you had to do

Live, Love, RACE

Quote: