Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Angry customer' takes BMW receptionist hostage

'Angry customer' takes BMW receptionist hostage
November 9, 2010 - 6:27AM
A man enraged by problems with his BMW car grabbed a shotgun and took an employee hostage at the automaker's French headquarters on Monday, an official said.

The man fired twice in the air with a pump-action shotgun without shooting anyone and took a receptionist hostage briefly before surrendering to police at the German manufacturer's offices west of Paris, officials said.

"It's an average customer who complains that his vehicle has mechanical problems and that BMW is unable to repair them," state prosecutor Luc-Andre Lenormand said, adding the man had targeted BMW several times before.

"It was premeditated," Lenormand said.

"He will be charged with arson, armed threats and illegal detention" and will be examined by a psychiatrist, he added.

The receptionist was receiving psychological counselling.

The man was already facing charges for assaulting an employee at a BMW dealership and was suspected to have plotted in 2006 to hire accomplices to break into a BMW dealer's home and kill him and his family, Lenormand said.

In 2003 the suspect had tried to set himself on fire in front of the BMW dealership where he had bought his car.

Earlier media reports had said the man was a former BMW employee and that a salesman had also been taken hostage.

Police said the man lit a fire in the headquarters which did not cause much damage and no one was hurt during the incident.

An employee raised the alarm by text message.

A BMW spokesman, Patrick Lucas, said there were about 80 employees present and "they evacuated when they learned there was an intruder downstairs".

The head of communications at the site, Jean-Michel Juchet, said the employees fled to the canteen and police soon arrived, adding he was "happy this incident ended up as just a minor story".

Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That will teach them to not void warranty after a flash tune.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

It is standard for your diff bushes to make clunking sounds under acceleration monsieur!

Put the weapon down
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

This kind of thing crossed my mind last week when Ford told me my diff bush isn't covered under warranty. I still might go through with it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Oh dear......

Is that a gun in your pocket sir, or are you just glad to see us again ........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
This kind of thing crossed my mind last week when Ford told me my diff bush isn't covered under warranty. I still might go through with it.
Interesting seeing as mine was done under warranty.

As for the hold up, must be all that good BMW service people keep telling me about.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it isn't just confined to Australian Ford dealers that car owners get fed up with.

Sometimes you just feel the same way as the French guy.

The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Interesting seeing as mine was done under warranty.
Ford are going to pay for it whether they like it or not, I don't care if I have to take staff members hostage. If it's not fixed by tomorrow arvo I'm going in there with a bazooka.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Ford are going to pay for it whether they like it or not, I don't care if I have to take staff members hostage. If it's not fixed by tomorrow arvo I'm going in there with a bazooka.
BUBBA the parts storemen will be waiting for you
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
So it isn't just confined to Australian Ford dealers that car owners get fed up with.

Sometimes you just feel the same way as the French guy.

Absolutely brilliant!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Service the bazooka first or it may misfire and they will tell you they all do it
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
seduced_xr
BF XR6

if i wasted $100 000 on a car that had the same features as my neighbours $45 000 falcon id go mad to
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
x series

At least the problem is fix now !
x series is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Corzza

haha this is classic

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Ringo
I see you....

Who says that the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys? This guy was never going to give up...against Germans what’s more!

At the prestige german car brand dealership I used to work at in 90’s there was a Customer who was a bit agro who was known by sight and by name and car. He used to get very hot under the collar about such petty things and was a bit intimidating. He ended up physically grabbing a service advisor by the upper arm while ranting away and we wondered if there was going to be fisty cuffs next. Swearing and gesturing the customer ended up leaving, only to come back the next day with a bottle of something and an apology for his behaviour. Service advisor suggested he visit another dealership in future but customer refused and kept coming back. The Service Manager who (was not easily intimidated by anyone) dealt with him personally from then on.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel sorry for the people in those situations...

I'm sure the goal of most service advisors is to have happy customers, obviously this guy wasn't one of them.

Another thing many people may not realize is that the person you see at the desk (the service advisor) isn't the one who makes the decision about whether something will or wont be warranty either....
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post