Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #31
kendallRTV

Does any one have a reconmendation of how close you would set up a 4 poster to a wall, ie the front and one side, got to put one in a unit corner but not sure how much room I need to leave to work around.

My thinking is that the front can be put up close to the wall, as if you want to work on that end of the car, you would just turn the car around.

IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter (I Will Change My Own Gears Thankyou Very Much)

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
kendallRTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #32
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallRTV
Does any one have a reconmendation of how close you would set up a 4 poster to a wall, ie the front and one side, got to put one in a unit corner but not sure how much room I need to leave to work around.

My thinking is that the front can be put up close to the wall, as if you want to work on that end of the car, you would just turn the car around.

(900mm from the sides, 2.5 - 3.5 mtrs to the front depending if you want a workbench in front or not.

Ive got both in my shed, a two poster rated at 4.5 tonne asymmetric, and a four post 6.3 tonne with jacking beams. I use the two post for most work, supension etc, the four post for inspections, services etc, I install, service and repair vehicle hoists for a living.

My advice would be buy the best hoist you can afford, if buying new sometimes spending a few hundred dollars more will reward you in the future.

if any one needs advise dont hesitate to p.m. me as im terrible at not returning for days sometimes weeks and the thread is long gone.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #33
kendallRTV

This is the one Im looking at http://www.carhoists.com.au/hoist.html

I am 188cm so the lift height of 1820mm sounded good.

Would it work with the work benchers being on wheels and off to the side, I don’t have much depth in the unit to work with, once the hoist is in it only leaves me with 4.7 m between the hoist and the roller door, Too short for a second car plus it will be an area for large steel fabing jobs.

IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter (I Will Change My Own Gears Thankyou Very Much)

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
kendallRTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #34
Bobman
Regulator

I often used a 4 post hoist at work and there was about 1-2 metres between it and both walls.

As others said, it has jacking platforms so you can take the wheels off, e.t.c. Sure it's not as "versatile" as a 2 post hoist but you feel much safer using one. It's also great for lowered cars compared to the 2 posters where you have to basically lift the guards and hope the pads catch the sill.

If space is an issue, then the 2 post would probably be better. We used Molnar and Tecalemit hoists.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #35
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am also looking a hoist for the garage. Primary reason is my acute lack of space, so I want to be able to put any project car up on the hoist and park the daily driver underneath. Naturally I can also use the hoist to work on the car and others.
I am considering a 4 post hoist with rolling jacks:
• Very stable.
• Half the pressure on the concrete.
• No cables or frames on the floor
• Can place drip trays etc to protect the car underneath from drips and debris.
• Posts won’t obstruct doors on the car underneath.

My Garage ceiling is 36 courses, which is about 3.5m.
Typical 4 poster lifts about 1.7m, but some models designed especially for storage will lift upto 2m.
So I’m hoping that provided neither my daily driver nor project are Discos I should be able to fit two cars vertically.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are going to use it for long term parking, perhaps 4 post is the way to go.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #37
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate of mine is getting a removable 2 post hoist for around $3.5K, looks like a very stable little unit. I agree with others on here, the 2 post give more work room but the 4 post would be better if you want peace of mind.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I got my 2 post 2nd hand for $1300 cost about another $200 for a single phase motor and some wiring to install it. Mines mounted against the wall of the shed, and it still gives plenty of room down the left hand side for pretty much every bit of work you would need.

As the hoist is alot wider than the car itself the wheels are a distance from the wall allowing wheels and suspension work to be done easily. If you really need the room on one side, simply reverse the car into position.

Heres my setup.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #39
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2n I L8
Heres my setup.
How high is your garage "ceiling"?
Looks about 31~32 courses?
Can you get another car under the one on your hoist? What is the lifting height of your hoist?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #40
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

My ceiling isn't as high as I would like, My wagons prob got another 10cm to go up there. I can fit my ED under the EF if I take the wheels off.

I cant stand up straight under mine due to ceiling but and I'm 6 foot. So we got old computer chairs and removed the backs, so we just roll around at a comfy height.

If you put up little cars eg Nissan Exa you can walk under it without hassle, as it goes up to full height. Falcon roof turret is problem with my beams on roof.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
damoose

nice setup and a very clever way of utilizing space
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #42
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
One thing to remember about 2 post hoist is that you need to have an extra high roof, they are a lot taller than a 4 poster. A 2 post hoist deosn't have stability issues, they can be used without bolting them down, although it's not recommended.
why is a 2 poster a lot taller?

I've been dreaming of putting a 4 poster outside for years. One of my pet hates with 2 posters is trying to get out of the car.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I have both 2 and 4 post hoists at work and I do the majority of work on the 4 poster.

The 4 poster has jacking beams. The beams are perfect to use, especially with gearbox changes, as you can rest the gearbox on the jacking beam/s and move it towards the motor.

I have no issues doing suspension work, or even simple oil changes with the 4 poster. The only downfall with a 4 poster is room. Otherwise, it's perfect for everything to do with undercar work.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #44
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
why is a 2 poster a lot taller?

I've been dreaming of putting a 4 poster outside for years. One of my pet hates with 2 posters is trying to get out of the car.
2 posters are joined, either at the bottom or the top. I imagine the bottom connection is a pain and gets in the way which is why many prefer the top beam.
But that means the top beam has to be very high to allow for tall cars at maximum lift.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #45
FgNewbie
Australia

Thanks Dazz, I never think of 2 posters with a top beam.

That reminds me of a corny makeshift ladder. A mate put me up on his hoist, I opened my sunroof and replaced a couple of fluros for him.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #46
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

we've been looking into hoists ourselves for our shed. we are going with MOLNAR hoists as they are australian made and are the best on the market. a 3 phase 2 post is $5,200 before installation and it can lift 3.3 tonnes

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #47
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Molnar are great hoists, there was an old molnar in Dads shop when he brought it 15 years ago, and it was his every day hoist up until the government inventmant alowance saw a cabel repalcment and new pads costing only $200 less than a new Peak clear floor with higher capasity and 4WD attachments fully installed.

The Peak hoist has been great and hasnt gien any issues in the time he has owned it but you can garontee it wont last as long as the Molnar

Coincedently he sold the Molnar on ebay as is (busted) for $1200 so that sort of tells ya how good they are when a new one is $5200

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post