Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
sampsonite
Starter Motor

Default Insurance

Hey i am just new here but have a few questions to ask and i will try and put them in the right topics... but this question is asking who do people insure their car with considering they are doing mods etc... my insurance company told me they wont insure me if i do any performance mods. any help would be appreciated thanks

sampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I personally go through NRMA up here in Queensland. They stipulate that as long as it complies with Department of Transport they don't care
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'm with RACV and they accept mods. Same as stipulation as NRMA.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
sampsonite
Starter Motor

yeah i was looking into shannons...they just add 10% onto your priemium
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What car is it your looking to insure? I've got a ba xr6 turbo with a bit of work Bd am only 21, they insures me for 145 a month and 28000 cover
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Mz Revvv Head

I did alot of searching for this also,
I had some very helpful reply's from memebers here & rang every place
till I was happy ...

I went with AAMI, for my GT-P ...

Ryno is very good & doesn't matter how much you mods you do to the car ...
Has to be garaged tho ...

Also depends on what state you are in ...
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
sampsonite
Starter Motor

i am in south australia... i am also 21 and its just a n/a xr6 ba... i was with allianz and they said they cant insure if anything has been done to it... shannons said i could do what i like and it only costs a little extra than what i am paying now... but they dont like insuring everyday cars
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think shannons is probs your best bet, not sure why the rejected you on the daily driving basis. have you done any work to the car yet? shannons do prefer to insure cars with a bit of work so they arent just a car driven but also cared for if you get me.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
nfury8

aami are gr8 to go thru, very accommodating to mods. Even sent me a Chauffeured car to pick up mine after a claim.
nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aami can be good depending on the people at your local branch... Canberra is pathetic I got screwed by them multiple times and finally had enough of the bully tactics they use in repairers to get the job done as cheap as possible which in turn the work quaility suffers... Hence I'm now with shannons and instead of a 3000 excess I not have a 500 excess with the car insured for a higher value
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been with AAMI for over 15 years. They do accept mods whether cosmetic/performance/both. Got my 2 Xr8's and EL GT with them and personally, i reckon there about the best on the market for price/service/agreed value. All i can suggest, who ever you go with just make sure whatever mods you have done or do make sure your insurance provider has the same list on their data base as you do. At the end of the day insurance company's are there to make money, and will reject a claim if they havnt got all the correct information on file, if you make a claim. I've seen it happen before and i'm sure members know of horror stories also?
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
sampsonite
Starter Motor

thanks guys for your help. i have been thinking and ringing people up and have narrowed it down to shannons and aami... thanks again
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
XR8BFMkII
CLOWNZ

Just took out a policy with Shannon's around 6 months ago. For me, the price difference between them and my old insurer was very minimal and my car was now insured with simple mod's (CAI, exhaust, rims e.t.c.). Had a claim (first ever) and had absolutley no hassels with approval over the phone and work was done quickly......Would highly recommend!
They told me that they now insure an everyday driver, but i think the comfort for me was that i know my car is insured with all the mod's with no hassels if i ever need to claim them.
XR8BFMkII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post