Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A few questions

Figured i'd put all my latest q's in one thread to save space and time.
1. Which extractors are the better choice for my i6, pacemaker 4499's or 4490's (i've got a redback 2.5" catback exhaust)?
2. Will a hi-flow cat make any difference performance and sound wise?
3. I want a c2r front grille, now I can get one for the low profile or high profile bonnet. Does a Falcon (non-xr) look better with the high or low profile bonnet? Take into consideration this will be with a c2r grill too. I'm after a meaner/sportier look if that means anything. Pics would help.

That's about it for now :P. Thanks for any answers.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
LPGUTE

hm...
1.4499 is for AU and 4490 is for BA
2.performance wise... little and sound i dont know.

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was 4490's, maybe it's 4480's? I'm sure there are 2 types for the au 6.

EDIT: My bad it was 4480s.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

4499s are better for stockish I6s, 4480s for cammed/chipped I6s. The 4480s work better mid-high rev range, the 4499s are more low to mid.

High flow cat will make marginal difference.

IMO, the series 2 bonnet with the high C2R grille looks better than low series bonnet with squashed C2R grille.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You won't notice a big difference in power from a hi-flow cat man, i just got one put on a couple of weeks ago..there is a slight difference but not too much and no it doesn't change the sound of the exhaust note or anything.
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
4499s are better for stockish I6s, 4480s for cammed/chipped I6s. The 4480s work better mid-high rev range, the 4499s are more low to mid.
4480's for low-mid / 4499's for mid-high.

RTSW, I have 4499's on my AU which is not stock. 4499's were chosen for mine to give mid-high as low-mid was going to be covered by the hi-stall. Had I not gone with a stally, G&D would have chosen 4480's to help pick me up low-mid, especially being cammed. Hope that makes sense lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Originally Posted by JC
4499s are better for stockish I6s, 4480s for cammed/chipped I6s. The 4480s work better mid-high rev range, the 4499s are more low to mid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
4480's for low-mid / 4499's for mid-high.

RTSW, I have 4499's on my AU which is not stock. 4499's were chosen for mine to give mid-high as low-mid was going to be covered by the hi-stall. Had I not gone with a stally, G&D would have chosen 4480's to help pick me up low-mid, especially being cammed. Hope that makes sense lol.
seems to be a difference of opinion here on witch will give you low to mid & mid to high I tend to think JC is right but I'm happy for somebody who KNOWS to tell me otherwise
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR
Originally Posted by JC
4499s are better for stockish I6s, 4480s for cammed/chipped I6s. The 4480s work better mid-high rev range, the 4499s are more low to mid

seems to be a difference of opinion here on witch will give you low to mid & mid to high I tend to think JC is right but I'm happy for somebody who KNOWS to tell me otherwise
Specs from Pacemaker site (www.pacemaker.com.au)

PH 4499
FALCON | EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU | XG-XH-AU UTES
FAIRLANE | NA-NC-NF-NL
3.9-4.0 LITRE | Manual & Automatic | TRI-Y Design
P/Steering: Yes
Gasket: DSF 61
Air Con: Yes
Primary Pipe: 1 ⅝" (41mm)
Oxy Sen: Yes
Secondary Pipe: 1 ⅞" (48mm)
E.G.R: N/A
Outlet (flanged): 2 ½" (63mm)
Y Branch: N/A
Fitting Time: 1 ½ Hrs
Note: Will fit AU column change auto.

PH 4480 - COMPETITION HEADER
FALCON | EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU | XH-AU UTES
FAIRLANE | NA-NC-NF-NL
Secondary Pipe: 1 ¾" (44mm)
Y Branch: N/A
Fitting Time: 1 ½ Hrs
Note: Will not fit with Factory LPG. Refer PH4499.
Will not fit XG ute.

It looks like the design of the 4480s has changed somewhat - they used to use a larger primary, so given the smaller secondary of the 4480s, these may in fact produce better torque down low, which means Krissy is correct.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR
If everybody agreed on everything, we'd be living in a very boring world lol. I stand by what I posted as will JC. My info comes from a reputable place that built my car with the best (and tested) setup in mind. Although, you can walk into one place and be given info, then walk into another and be told the total opposite. I guess it really boils down to try & test and the knowledge or even personal opinion of who you deal with.

The 4480's seem to be the most popular but I was speaking personally about my car. With cam and stall, the 4499's are what was needed for my car as we knew the stall would take care of the low down lag caused by the cam. But then what works on mine may work very differently on others.

At the end of the day, everyone will have an opinion. I posted mine

RTSW - Just go to a reputable place. Take their advice and fit what they recommend.
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
If everybody agreed on everything, we'd be living in a very boring world lol. I stand by what I posted as will JC. My info comes from a reputable place that built my car with the best (and tested) setup in mind. Although, you can walk into one place and be given info, then walk into another and be told the total opposite. I guess it really boils down to try & test and the knowledge or even personal opinion of who you deal with.

The 4480's seem to be the most popular but I was speaking personally about my car. With cam and stall, the 4499's are what was needed for my car as we knew the stall would take care of the low down lag caused by the cam. But then what works on mine may work very differently on others.

At the end of the day, everyone will have an opinion. I posted mine

RTSW - Just go to a reputable place. Take their advice and fit what they recommend.
Actually, I conceded 3 minutes before you posted.

What I will stand by though, is that if you have a VCT motor, you'd be mad not to fit the 4480s (just ask Casper). The 4499s are better suited to the intech version of the AU I6.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
What I will stand by though, is that if you have a VCT motor, you'd be mad not to fit the 4480s
I do agree with you on that. They work well on Intech though aswell and I just think it boils down to your car's setup. Whether it's stock, modded or planned mods. With the right system, it breathes that little bit better
Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the high profile with the C2R is the go www.aufalcon.com/au3xr6 here is my car if you want to have a look as for the extractors it depends on your engine / mods and where you want the power made the 4480 tends to make the power up higher and is more suited to a modified engine ( cam flash tune etc)
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Heres the High Series C2R Grill , Looks mean as

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

better pic ;)

Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, thanks for all the answers! (Nice pics ;))

I'll be definitely going with a high profile bonnet and c2r grille now. As for the extractors... Well i'm thinking the 4499's. My car is stock except for the exhaust, k&n and xr6t snorkle. If I can be convinced otherwise i'd be happy to. I'm more after torque and power in the low to mid range.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Meh , Im in the same boat as you are , after you do some exhaust work and put the Headers on , its like a different car. But the Laggy Shtuff from down low in the I6 can only be ridden with either a Stall and a Cam , or Supercharge it.

My Car was the same as yours , Pulled 108.4 stock , and now its making numbers just with a few minor things , Exhaust , Cat , Headers and all that CAI Jazz..

Cheers and hope this is a Guide to what your AU will do in the Future

Daniel

Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

I got the 4480's, didnt loose anything down low, in fact, I 60'd better with the 4480's then I did without them, but in comparison to the 4499's, I have no idea, never actually seen them tested side by side.
Just so you know, Intake, comps, 3 inch zorst, and a generic tune, 2.19ish 60ft's, stocko driveline (no LSD, 3.08's, no stall )
Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

did the 3" produce much Drone dude ?

Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

: : I hate to be the one to say it but use the search tool, thats what it there for.

Now i've said that, the pacey comp's are really good above 3000 rpm and then they really pickup at 3500 rpm. So you have to ask yourself what the car is being used for.

If you drive the car really hard or it see's heaps of track work then you are probably wanting the pacey comps. If its just a daily driver and your not going to have it operating above 3500 rpm a lot then go for the normal pacemakers and you also saves yourself some money to.

The cheapest way to get the paceys is to ring Magnum Exhaust in Dandenong VIC as they are the wholesaler and just tell them your going to fit them up yourself. Pick up the comps for $470 plus $100 ford your local exhaust shop to fit. Otherwise you will pay $700-800 even $1000 if you ring G&D Performance.

Normal Pacemakers wholesale for $350.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.

Last edited by sprjenkins; 08-11-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR

better pic ;)
what car????????
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

I dont think it gives too much drone at all, if any, although it is loud, and sounds almost like a Saloon car. Bear in mind I have no res, and a single 3 inch straight through muffler, and 3 inch cat.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

same as mine then , mines only 2.5 inch but with a 3 inch hiflow cat

Old 28-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #23
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Re: A few questions - 4480 design x2

Quote:
PH 4480 - COMPETITION HEADER
FALCON | EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU | XH-AU UTES
FAIRLANE | NA-NC-NF-NL
Secondary Pipe: 1 ¾" (44mm)

...It looks like the design of the 4480s has changed somewhat - they used to use a larger primary, so given the smaller secondary of the 4480s, these may in fact produce better torque down low, which means Krissy is correct.
Pardon the threadmine...but it is exactly what I was looking for...thanks to all
I just had one follow up question if anyone knows.
Given there are (at least) 2 designs of pacemaker comp 4480 going around.
And given that the later one is what I am looking for.
And that I was trying to buy 2nd hand to save some money.
Is there any way I can identify an earlier from a later design?
Apart from a caliper to check those external measurements?

Or is it just going to be safer paying $600 for a new set?
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post