Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #31
T MAN

Default Re: AU i6 & V8 engine oil, what are you using & are you happy with it?

mine are 60 psi cold start at idle with both oils and normal driving at operating temp is around 40-45psi, in extreme conditions as in hard running on hot days the hpr10 does drop into the low 30s sometimes high 20s at idle.. the hpr 15 seems to stay in the high 30s low 40s psi when hot...
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #32
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

When engine is hot, 2000 RPM oil pressure should be 275-413 kPA = 39-60 PSI

Just check your values against this as to whats best, but either or should do, if the thinner one meets these specs then go with that if not as you were
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #33
zdenko
2002 XR6 VCT Owner

I have mainly used Shell HX7 10W40. Some Penrite and Castrol Semi Syn 10W-40's as well depending on Supercheap specials.
Xr6 VCT on LPG.
Been running it since I bought the car with 130000kms and it now has 240000kms.
Doesn't burn a drop and it comes out pretty clean every 10000kms.
Air Hog Air Filter + 2.5 Inch Sterling Mandrel Bent Exhaust + Supercheap Oval Tip.
Carbon Fibre Style Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Boot
zdenko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #34
Fairlane Al

I hope I'm not the only one here who will admit to just running whatever 15w40 oil is on cheap special at Repco or Supercheap. Admittedly changed every 5 to 7000 km and mainly doing fairly easy highway cruising, it comes out somewhat darker and dirtier than when it went in but not particularly so. Right now it is running Nulon oil, before that Shell HX5.

I have considered if I should upgrade to a nicer semi synthetic or synthetic oil but I can't see the point when it still holds good oil pressure nicely at 260,000 km, at least according to the gauge, it doesn't make noises, and I haven't blown the motor up yet. At least I'm changing the oil, I don't think the previous owner knew or cared to know that oil is best changed on a regular basis.
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #35
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al View Post
I hope I'm not the only one here who will admit to just running whatever 15w40 oil is on cheap special at Repco or Supercheap. Admittedly changed every 5 to 7000 km and mainly doing fairly easy highway cruising, it comes out somewhat darker and dirtier than when it went in but not particularly so. Right now it is running Nulon oil, before that Shell HX5.

I have considered if I should upgrade to a nicer semi synthetic or synthetic oil but I can't see the point when it still holds good oil pressure nicely at 260,000 km, at least according to the gauge, it doesn't make noises, and I haven't blown the motor up yet. At least I'm changing the oil, I don't think the previous owner knew or cared to know that oil is best changed on a regular basis.
Hi Fairlane Al, thanks for your reply mate! Imo if your happy with how its running, I wouldn't change anything either. Keep up the good work mate, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdenko View Post
I have mainly used Shell HX7 10W40. Some Penrite and Castrol Semi Syn 10W-40's as well depending on Supercheap specials.
Xr6 VCT on LPG.
Been running it since I bought the car with 130000kms and it now has 240000kms.
Doesn't burn a drop and it comes out pretty clean every 10000kms.
Hi zdenko, sounds like your happy with the way your vct is running atm, if it ain't broke don't fix it hey lol! Keep up the good work mate, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 23-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #37
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi guys, the 5/40 has been in for a few days now & the hot day / cold engine startup tac noise is a lot better now, will give it a few more days to see if the noise disappears completely. My motor is getting on a little now so some noise is to be expected on startup tbh, will see how it goes & go from there.

The Nulon that come out was pretty dirty, glad to change it out for sure!

cheer's, Maka

Old 23-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #38
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I'm scratching my head a little bit, when i first bought my wagon ( just a six dual fuel), i changed the oil and put synthetic 15W40 (shell i think), but shortly after (maybe a month) i found half the oil was gone (car has zero leaks), so i put in some Nulon Mineral 20W50 and on checking the oil yesterday I found the level has also dropped a fair bit, this things burns oil which is strange because the spark plugs have no oil on them.

Being dual fuel, it might cost the same in regular oil top ups as the LPG.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #39
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Oh and I use Penrite 10W40 in the XR8 ute.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #40
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi Sam, my hunch is check your pvc valve, the oil maybe getting burnt with the air-fuel mixture? You can pull the black breather pipe off the t/b & see if its wettish with oil. Good luck mate, hope its a nice simple fix hey!

cheer's, Maka

Old 23-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #41
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al View Post

Up to 200000 I used castrol gtx 15w40 changed every 150000km, city driving.

I did about a year on penrite 15w60 and penrite gas after that to see if there was any difference. Car felt slightly "heavier" on acceleration, but other than that, no difference. I even had it tested and at 15000km and the oil was as new - run mainly on LPG. The main issue was that the dirt was beginning to build up in the oil. If it was worthwhile to run a bypass filter, I wouldn't bother
changing the oil!! Stretch the change out to 40k to 50k.

Back on the supercheap specials now. I was planning on doing another test, but the oil testing company I was using wasn't taking samples at the time. I will post up next time I get a result.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #42
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi Sam, my hunch is check your pvc valve, the oil maybe getting burnt with the air-fuel mixture? You can pull the black breather pipe off the t/b & see if its wettish with oil. Good luck mate, hope its a nice simple fix hey!

cheer's, Maka

Hey Maka, the PVC valve was replaced about a month ago as it was busted in pieces and causing a vacuum leak. I'll check the breather pipe anyway just to make sure that's not the cause.
Old 24-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #43
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

My oil pressure never moves regardless of driving conditions and over the different oil i have used stated above

I saw mcfly94 using 15w60?
Can anyone comment on this
Old 13-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #44
1TUFGQ

Hi, apologies for the grave dig
We just bought an AU VCT XR6T ute with 296,150km on the clock.

Runs well and seems to have been well maintained, i'm going to change thge oil and filter this weekend as a matter of course (don't know when the last change was done).

I did a search and came up with this thread, am going to put a Ryco Z9 on and have got some Penrite Vantage 10W/30 Semi Synthetic. I hope that was a good choice of oil?.

Will keep an ear out for tappet chatter, we don't get thge hot temps you guys do over there so may even drop back to 5W/30 if need be.

Cheers from NZ.
1TUFGQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #45
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Using Penrite 10w/30 premium mineral in my I6, travelled 215K ,change oil and filter every 10k. Does notrattle or burn oil and stays relatively clean. Cheers
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post