Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Default "Quiet" Tyres

I have just purchased a new TDCi (new 6sp auto) and find that there is quite a bit of road noise. The reviews I have read all seem to mention this and suggest different tyres might reduce the level of noise.
Does any know or can recomend some tyres that produce less road noise? What makes them quieter - softer compound or a particular tread pattern?
Although this is my first Focus (and diesel) it is apparent that these cars handle extremely well and are a lot of fun to drive so I think they also need tyes that are up to the job.

jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Conquest_Tsi

I have Bridgestone ER 300 on my LS in 215/45/17 and they are real quiet.

Get some good tyres and make sure u get them rotated/aligned every so often
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I've been told that 'non-directional' tread patterns are quieter. Don't know how much truth is in that.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to have a focus with Kumho Ecsta Spt 215/45ZR17 on it. really quiet tyres
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Perhaps the $800+ that you'd spend on tyres would be better invested in sound deadening the boot floor, under the rear seats and doors/hatch - where most the road noise tends to come in. Dynamats the go.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Any tyre that's non directional is the best for low noise. However, you've got to remember to rotate them to stop them getting lumpy. Otherwise it's a waste of time
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
wizamc

Yup, the NCT5's on the Focus are noiiisssyyyyyy. They last a hell of a long time though. I put on a set of Bridgestone Adrenaline's on my TDCi, and the lower noise level is glorious!!!!!
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Perhaps the $800+ that you'd spend on tyres would be better invested in sound deadening the boot floor, under the rear seats and doors/hatch - where most the road noise tends to come in. Dynamats the go.
Depends how much more weight u wanna add...
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
alky89

you wouldnt need too much i think. you'd want to cover the wheel well area first and see how that goes. if noise is still unacceptable then as blackls suggested, start going under the rear seats and boot floor.

for a quiet tyre, you should look towards a touring/luxury car tyre rather than the sports ones. they still grip well but will be more comfortable and less noisy. i know on the kumho website they give each of their tyres a score out of 5 for things like noise, wear, dry and wet grip.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizamc
Yup, the NCT5's on the Focus are noiiisssyyyyyy. They last a hell of a long time though. I put on a set of Bridgestone Adrenaline's on my TDCi, and the lower noise level is glorious!!!!!
No way! I just fitted a set of RE001's on my LX last week and they are quite a bit noisier new than my very worn NCT5's. They're also alot bumpier but the grip and handling is outstanding. Do they get quieter as they wear?

The new brakes & pads are quieter and make a big difference too.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Stugots, are you running 16s atm?

Old 26-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky89
you wouldnt need too much i think. you'd want to cover the wheel well area first and see how that goes. if noise is still unacceptable then as blackls suggested, start going under the rear seats and boot floor.

for a quiet tyre, you should look towards a touring/luxury car tyre rather than the sports ones. they still grip well but will be more comfortable and less noisy. i know on the kumho website they give each of their tyres a score out of 5 for things like noise, wear, dry and wet grip.

You could put 6 feet thick sound deadner round the whole car and still get tyre noise.

The 2nd part of the answer is the better of it all
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #13
Mullett
Badly Focused

Michelin Pilots. Awesome tyre, sticky and quiet. On the cheaper end, khumos aren't bad either.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

There is always that big knob in the middle of the dash. Works for me. :sm_headba

Cheap too!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Thanks for the the input guys. Much appreciated.
Will see how the stock tyres go. It's really only on rough surfaces that they get annoying which doesn't happen that often. Lets just hope they wear out fast so I can justify to the other half the need for some new tyres :-)
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Stugots, are you running 16s atm?
Yes I am, I got the rubber from Bridgestone, $776 fitted & balanced + $65 full wheel alignment.

They're also doing a promotion where you get 1 free night accomodation at some cheap hotel when you buy a set of Potenzas. Just gotta decide which skank to take.
Old 28-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #17
BrisVegas
Noobie

that Potenza promotion ended last week unfortunately. Has anyone gotten a decent price in Brisbane for Potenza Adrenalin's for Focus Zetec? ie. 205/50/R17?

As an alternative, how do the Yokohama C.Drives compare?
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
wizamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
No way! I just fitted a set of RE001's on my LX last week and they are quite a bit noisier new than my very worn NCT5's. They're also alot bumpier but the grip and handling is outstanding. Do they get quieter as they wear?

The new brakes & pads are quieter and make a big difference too.
I do over 1000kms a week, so wear in for me took no time at all. All I can say is they made a difference for me, particularly with all the freeway driving I do

Still havn't had to replace brakes yet, and I hit 100,000kms next week :(
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

:O I think we need to make you an award right there! 100,000kms on original brakes!

Old 28-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Yes I am, I got the rubber from Bridgestone, $776 fitted & balanced + $65 full wheel alignment.

They're also doing a promotion where you get 1 free night accomodation at some cheap hotel when you buy a set of Potenzas. Just gotta decide which skank to take.
Does the skank come with the tyres?

Old 28-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #21
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Nah, gotta find my own. I'll have to buy extra rubber for that too :P
Old 28-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
alky89

776 + 65 is a bit much in my opinion but im cheap (and it does include hotel + skank) but the adrenalins are a great tyre from what i've heard. if you look around or wait for specials, you can get some very good deals. i got a set of goodyear eagle f1's 205/50/16 a few months ago for 620 or 630 fitted and balanced with a wheel alignment at my local discount tyre place.

i also just bought a set of kumho ku36 (215/46/16 which should fit ok) for 126 each!! absolute steal, i couldnt resist. they dont look to be a quiet tyre by any means or a very practical daily driver / wet weather tyre but are a good compromise if you visit the track occasionally but dont want to drive around on semi-slicks. i found 2 places that have them on special for those who are interested. option1garage in queensland and fsport in sydney but prices are higher now than what i got them for. once i get them on the car and out onto wakefield park, i'll write a proper review of them and comparo with the eagle f1's.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #23
Mullett
Badly Focused

776 is damn good! That's under $200 a tyre, that's exceptionally good for ANY 205/50/17 (if that's what you've got), especially for such a good tyre.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
rand0mn00b

he's running 16s I think he said above
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky89
776 + 65 is a bit much in my opinion but im cheap (and it does include hotel + skank) but the adrenalins are a great tyre from what i've heard. if you look around or wait for specials, you can get some very good deals.
Normally when my tyres are bald and it's raining every other day, I don't care about cheap or waiting around :P

Last edited by Stugots; 29-05-2009 at 12:19 PM.