Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Default Thermo Instalation Questions

Hey everyone, Im finally getting the last bits i need to put my thermo fans in, just a couple of questions tho,

1. Where have ppl mounted the relays? i dont really want to have then exposed, im thinking under the coolant tank. do people have them anywhere else?

2. What thickness/grade wire should i use, i bought the davies craig kit and they look pretty thin, after reading InitialD's thread of then drawing 30 amps, i would have imagined the wires should be faily substantial.

and finally

3. What rating fuses should i use in them, 30A? i cant find anywhere how much current they draw..

thanks, Bender

1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully

Last edited by EA_Bender; 14-08-2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
spivver

I measured the current draw of each fan on mine as 16 amps on startup, falling to 8 amps when they were up to speed, so a 30A fuse should be OK. I used two relays on mine, each at 20A.
As far as wire goes, I matched the gauge that went to the headlights. My data books show that 6mm sq cable can carry 20A, so anything above this will be OK. Jaycar has 25A auto cable for 75 cents metre. The other thing is to make sure the crimp is good. A poor crimp can overheat in short order
spivver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
snapnscooter

I have just finished the conversion in my EA S'pac CFI.
I put the thermo switch and relays in a sealed zippy box ($4) I got from DickSmith. I mounted it over on the passenger side on the mudguard, behind the headlight where the Air filter box would be on an EFI. If yours is EFI, I think there'd still be room.
I ran some very heavy wire from the battery to two seperate marine fuse holders (30a fuses) and then into the box. I connected the ignition wire to the washers using a 'scotch lock'.
The connection on the washers looks like a 'T', the vertical stroke of the 'T' is alive on 'Acc' and 'On', connect to that one.
The Davies Craig wiring is suitible but I went heavier anyway.
I also used some 'figure 8' to wire two pilot lights (1 for each fan) into the dash.
I've just gotta get some silicon to stop the rad hose from leaking where the probe goes in.
I hope this helps
snapnscooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post