Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
chizzy86

Default Question about gripes over Falcon front seating position

I'm considering replacing the stock front seats in my GU Patrol with seats from a wrecked Falcon (the later the better), which seems to be a common mod from what I can see on various forums.

My question, is the gripe about the seating position in the Falcon (sit too high/steering column too low) likely to be repeated in my Patrol? What about the design of the seat makes people not like the positioning?

I like sitting up high and close to the wheel so I'm not too concerned but just want to make sure. The stock Nissan seats are not supportive at all. On long drive I keep sliding down.
chizzy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Question about gripes over Falcon front seating position

the steering wheel sits too low in your lap. So the seats themselves should be fine.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is the seat is too high for a "Sedan" (the issue is not the seat it is thew rails on which you mount the seat). I'd say if you bolt the seats into a patrol you will be using the patrol seat rails or the seat will be way too low.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzy86 View Post
I'm considering replacing the stock front seats in my GU Patrol with seats from a wrecked Falcon (the later the better), which seems to be a common mod from what I can see on various forums.

My question, is the gripe about the seating position in the Falcon (sit too high/steering column too low) likely to be repeated in my Patrol? What about the design of the seat makes people not like the positioning?

I like sitting up high and close to the wheel so I'm not too concerned but just want to make sure. The stock Nissan seats are not supportive at all. On long drive I keep sliding down.
Don't forget to take into account the engineering cost as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I replaced the mounting bolts threw in a stack of washers and my seat position is wonderful.....
Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the dash, there is an structural bar behind that stops the steering going up any further, even though they design the dash and column to allow for more movement than it has. Bit if a stuff up I think. However the seat base is really no higher off the ground than any other car, it's just that the belt line or bottom of the window frame is lower than other cars, which gives the riding high feeling. A lot cars have high belt lines which gives you more of a cocoon feeling. All of these contribute in my opinion but shouldn't have any effect on what you are doing.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #7
xr8cam

Anybody know for sure if BA/BF seats bolt straight into AU please? I have looked but no luck. If not, I will buy a top cond drivers or pass seat if anyone has a AU XRII or III seat.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Anybody know for sure if BA/BF seats bolt straight into AU please? I have looked but no luck. If not, I will buy a top cond drivers or pass seat if anyone has a AU XRII or III seat.
Nope. They don't. I briefly had some BA XR seats in my AU, but they had modified rails. It was a bit of a hack job and they didn't really fit that well so i removed them and put an AU Ghia interior in.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

AU seats are better than BA seats anyway. The absolute best AU seats I've sat in are the ones in my Sportsman, they are the AU LTD seats, most comfortable seats ever, go find some and they'll bolt straight in, you'll love them.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
AU seats are better than BA seats anyway. The absolute best AU seats I've sat in are the ones in my Sportsman, they are the AU LTD seats, most comfortable seats ever, go find some and they'll bolt straight in, you'll love them.
Thing with seats is - they are personal preference depending on your height , weight , torso/leg ratio , body shape , flexibility ,driving position and you can go on. Basically if someone says that seats are great it means that they are great for them not necessarily for you.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
My question, is the gripe about the seating position in the Falcon (sit too high/steering column too low) likely to be repeated in my Patrol?
They should be fine in a Patrol, as they are in a Territory. There is more space.

The Falcon restriction is the high floor and a low dash (essentially being an ongoing evolution of a 60's chassis) compared to more contemporary designs.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

I put VY SS seats into my GQ and it was the best mod i ever did. Took a day to sort out mounting but was totally worth it!
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #13
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have never understood this criticism?

No 2 people like the seat in the same place from my experience, we are all different sizes...thats why they (and the steering wheel and seat belt and in some cases pedals) are adjustable...

It goes from 3 inches from the steering wheel, to 3 inches of space in the rear seat, from hitting the wheel to nearly flat and from floor to 3 inches higher and people still complain.

If you cant get it somewhere you like buy another car...and find the same problem.

They are better seats than the old HQ bench!
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

The utes do seem better than the sedans for some reason, but for someone 6"4' like myself, it would be nice if the steering wheel went that bit higher. I'm fairly comfortable, in fact I've got heaps more legroom and do actually feel I can sit a lot lower in my FG ute than I ever did in my EA or AU. My brother's BA ute feels even roomier than mine, but my parent's BFII Ghia has seats that don't go down or back anywhere near as far.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #15
xr8cam

Has anyone had experience with or known people who have put after market seats, like Recaro or Sparco? The Autosport.com.au site has good range of street & race seats which are heaps cheaper than the prices I have had for refurbishing my XR bucket seat, and some of them look really nice. I love my AU buckets but I am sick of the problems with them.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , how long has the bitchin' on falcon seating position been going on , mostly via the media it seems ?
I know it's not exactly the topic..
On a personal level , my AU seats are comfortable and feel right to me and even better are my FG XR6's ones...I love the XR6 seats , especially the side bolsters..
I also had a BA Fairmont Ghia for 18 months with the leather seats , position was okay , adjustment was okay but I felt like I was slipping around on the leather too much..
I will never understand fully the Falcon 'high seating position' whinges but in total fairness I don't often travel in too many other cars these days..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EB XR6 had the best seats I have had the BF and FG G6E are not as good.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

IMO while the FG was a great car overall, I found the XR6 seats to be el cheapo (terrible bolstering with cheap foam) the seating position was then compromised by lack of adjustment on the steering wheel. I found however, that it helped to pull the wheel forwards a bit.

I don't think the OP will have issues with the seats themselves in a Patrol.

I'm a size and shape that fits comfortably into just about everything but FG was always a compromise unfortunately.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 02:02 AM   #19
xr8cam

My favourite XR seats of all time. Front pair of Recaro's from EB XR8S, $700 on ebay. If only they bolted in AU....
Old 13-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an EB2 Ghia recaro as my office chair.
Probably a bad move, as I find myself sitting for longer, as it's just so comfortable.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post