Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: F-150 Sales Halt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Syn matey, the 113 is vfacts numbers to date whereas I expect this prob was detected bit before that 113.
Also re read the below statement not just the 3 mentioned in the last paragraph.:

"Ford Australia has instructed its dealer network to stop the sale and delivery of the remanufactured Ford F-150, after several vehicles presented with a turbocharger fault related to the remanufacturing process."

“Out of an abundance of caution Ford Australia has placed a temporary hold on F-150s that are on their way to dealers or in dealer stock, after three re-manufactured vehicles presented with a turbo-charger related concern.”
The key here is “turbocharger related concern”……that’s not necessarily a failed part.
This is big as it goes to faith in the whole complicated process while FOA is trying to have proof of concept
to do more vehicle conversions…….makes me wonder what sort of learning curve other brands like Ram and
Silverado had that we never heard about…it’s the little things that bring you undone….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2024, 12:01 PM   #32
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: F-150 Sales Halt

I ended up buying the New F150 Powerboost Platinum Hybrid , Its impressive ! 9.2 L/100 , and power to burn, - coming out of a 2022 Ram limited and a Gen 1 2014 Raptor S/C . I didnt want to loose the V8 Sound , But i am Enjoying the silence
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #33
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I posted this on the other F150 thread.

I went to the dealership to check out the f150 given I have one on order. They have 4 but none can be driven as part of this stop sale. No test drives either. They have parts coming in the next week but they don't know what exactly they'll be fixing so dealers are in the dark about this.

I think I'll wait for a few more batches to go through for them to find more issues with the conversion.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2024, 03:16 PM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I posted this on the other F150 thread.

I went to the dealership to check out the f150 given I have one on order. They have 4 but none can be driven as part of this stop sale. No test drives either. They have parts coming in the next week but they don't know what exactly they'll be fixing so dealers are in the dark about this.

I think I'll wait for a few more batches to go through for them to find more issues with the conversion.
Same old same old really, if you must of the first batch of anything then go for it but otherwise always wise to give new products a bit of time.

In saying that these days we should be better than that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2024, 03:18 PM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Same old same old really, if you must of the first batch of anything then go for it but otherwise always wise to give new products a bit of time.

In saying that these days we should be better than that.
Yep. I waited with a certain EV brand to iron out their kinks as well

New model released anyway so I'll just wait for the facelift version. Summer is almost done and I wanted it for summer anyway.
Old 15-01-2024, 05:44 PM   #36
DK30RB

Reading the F150 Australian Facebook pages brings up a new issues.

One owner was called twice in an hour on Saturday from Ford to get in touch about an inspection on the steering. Had tech sent to his house same day to check it!!!

Not sure i would early adopt and buy one from a new conversion outfit so easily.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 01:14 PM   #37
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
Reading the F150 Australian Facebook pages brings up a new issues.

One owner was called twice in an hour on Saturday from Ford to get in touch about an inspection on the steering. Had tech sent to his house same day to check it!!!

Not sure i would early adopt and buy one from a new conversion outfit so easily.
Has been recalled due to it

Quote:
“Due to a remanufacturing process issue, the steering intermediate shaft may separate from the steering rack resulting in a loss of steering control,” said the company in its recall notice.

“A loss of steering control could increase the risk of an accident causing injury or death to vehicle occupants and/or other road users.”
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...f-150-recalled
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #38
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d really like to know more about this issue; the technicality of it.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #39
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I'd just like to point out, that Ford engineers were not involved at all in this project All the engineering work was performed by RMA, so please blame them, not the Ford engineers (who if they had been asked would probably have known these issues and avoided them)

thanks.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 06:54 PM   #40
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I'd just like to point out, that Ford engineers were not involved at all in this project All the engineering work was performed by RMA, so please blame them, not the Ford engineers (who if they had been asked would probably have known these issues and avoided them)

thanks.
If Ford chose RMA to do this work, why didn't they have more say in the matter? Not being combative with that question, just curious why Ford let a sub-contractor have so much say in Ford's own product.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

thanks.
Yep the Chassis Steering team at Geelong RDC would have engineered and launched this correctly.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #42
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
If Ford chose RMA to do this work, why didn't they have more say in the matter? Not being combative with that question, just curious why Ford let a sub-contractor have so much say in Ford's own product.
very good question. there were non-disclosure agreements flying around all over the place. I used to manage the prototype fleet, and the first I even know someone had build prototypes, was when some rocked up at the PG and somebody asked us to register them.

and to answer the question best I can - the rest of FoA were deep in the launch of next gen ranger so I don't think there was any spare resource.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 07:50 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
One of the last projects I worked on was their park release cable

With how finnicky RMA's engineers are over that I don't think there's going to be a problem with their conversions
This aged well I see
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 07:52 PM   #44
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
very good question. there were non-disclosure agreements flying around all over the place. I used to manage the prototype fleet, and the first I even know someone had build prototypes, was when some rocked up at the PG and somebody asked us to register them.

and to answer the question best I can - the rest of FoA were deep in the launch of next gen ranger so I don't think there was any spare resource.
They didn’t want extra work ie the F150 project interfering with their Aus engineering staff layoffs
Simple
Just subcontract the 150 programme out and we can reduce our FTE number
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2024, 08:04 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

So, that explains why every single product launch that's not a Ranger derivative has been screwed up over the last decade.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #46
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Yeah, I've cancelled my order for now. I'm going to wait till the update and give them enough time to iron out these issues.

Bugger this.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 09:44 PM   #47
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
They didn’t want extra work ie the F150 project interfering with their Aus engineering staff layoffs
nah, all the engineering work was done ages ago, well before the layoffs.
Old 18-01-2024, 11:24 PM   #48
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Either way.. sub contracted out or not.. it once again reflects poorly on Ford..
After all they can say its a subcontractors work.. but who is marketing the vehicle? Its on fords website true? In ford showrooms?
Someone at ford had to say.. yep.. to our standards... or maybe they did...
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #49
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do we know if it's an assembly of parts that hasn't been done correctly or the failure of parts which would require far more work/time to rectify?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 08:15 AM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I’m left wondering if similar has happened in the past at the other remanufacturers
and just buried as a teething problem. I justifying this, small teams find it hard
to cover everything and if Ford engineering had done this, the final price
would have been prohibitive.

I’m still surprised that the F150 project actually happened but not surprised at
the continuing “arms length” approach, it seems to be the only way we can have
other desirable Ford vehicles in this country. Buyers still pay a premium for RHD.

Last edited by jpd80; 19-01-2024 at 08:26 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 11:57 AM   #51
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess that's why Toyota Australia have done the Tundra the way they have.
300 pre-production on special leases, no reviews, no media, any issues reported back to head office only.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2024, 08:03 PM   #52
vbomber

Another recall :/ https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...PQ2o1DYJfNGEHk

Quote:
Specifically, the clock spring electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag, horn and electrical systems may not have been welded to specification and, as Ford admits in the notice published on the federal government’s Vehicle Recalls website, could possibly fail.

“If this occurs, it could result in a loss of steering wheel illumination, non-functioning steering wheel control switches, inoperative horn, and the airbag warning light will illuminate which may result in the driver’s airbag becoming inoperative,” the company said in the notice.
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2024, 08:04 PM   #53
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It affects 9 vehicles.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2024, 09:34 PM   #54
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I’m left wondering if similar has happened in the past at the other remanufacturers
and just buried as a teething problem. I justifying this, small teams find it hard
to cover everything and if Ford engineering had done this, the final price
would have been prohibitive.

I’m still surprised that the F150 project actually happened but not surprised at
the continuing “arms length” approach, it seems to be the only way we can have
other desirable Ford vehicles in this country. Buyers still pay a premium for RHD.
Ford only have themselves to blame,.....One Ford still even a thing? Such lack of care or vision.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-01-2024, 09:39 PM   #55
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Ford only have themselves to blame,.....One Ford still even a thing? Such lack of care or vision.
One Ford died a long time ago.

Last edited by kypez; 30-01-2024 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post
Old 30-01-2024, 09:55 PM   #56
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I saw an brand new F-150 Lariat towing a boat today, it looked fantastic
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2024, 10:14 PM   #57
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
One Ford died a long time ago.
And really never happened and here we are.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-01-2024, 10:28 PM   #58
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I saw an brand new F-150 Lariat towing a boat today, it looked fantastic
Each to their own; I’ve never found boats that fantastic.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2024, 10:30 PM   #59
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s about the F series not the boat. Ok ?
Old 30-01-2024, 11:03 PM   #60
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

https://youtu.be/8bQ2TPjb2lw?si=CKvm-Jra7cMf8-Oy

Last edited by kypez; 30-01-2024 at 11:11 PM.