Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default passenger fined for using a mobile phone

I must admit I didn't know this, Can not believe Police, RMS NSW are fining front seat passengers now for using their mobile phones while I've heard other states are clamping down on distracting rear window stickers and fluffy dice. !

https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.co...ger-behaviour/

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: passenger fined for using a mobile phone

Quote:
This rule is contained in regulation 299 of the Road Rules 2014 (NSW) which states that:

(1) A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen:

is visible to the driver from the normal driving position, or
likely to distract another driver.
I notice the law says 'can't distract another driver'.

Many cars have dvd players in them, both fixed and portable, headrest mounted and/or roof mounted. I have them in my car when going on holiday. These are clearly visible to other road users. I've driven behind cars and beside cars watching their dvds.

I wonder if this is technically a breach of that rule also?
Old 23-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Its a weird one, was thinking of the implications of all the phone camera's being installed.

Old 23-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

It's not that obscure though. I was aware of that rule about the distraction to the driver.

Just the extra point about 'other drivers' seems a bit rough.
Old 23-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's not that obscure though. I was aware of that rule about the distraction to the driver.

Just the extra point about 'other drivers' seems a bit rough.
I really don't get the difference between using onboard touch screen stuff and a passenger using their own phone
(Obviously, as long as they are not asking you to look at what they are viewing.)

To me, there is no different to outside neon/LED advertising sign boards alongside hwys.

9 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Wow, I wondered about people watching YouTube in the front passenger seat, if the driver can see it they’re in violation of the road rules.......

roKWiz, I’m with you, modern displays are getting bigger but the regulators won’t call Carmakers on them being a source of distraction.

Ride a push bike and be on a phone, $1,000 fine where I am.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What the article probably won't mention is how the passenger was likely thrusting the phone in the drivers face screeching "omg look at Bella's Instagram story - saaaahhh cuuute".

However, I agree that the law could be open to interpretation.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

In my opinion distractions play a much bigger part in accidents than speed.

The rule about driver's not looking at screens, even those held by passengers has been reasonably well known since people started enquiring why their infotainment screens go blank when watching movies or television as soon as the vehicle moves forward.

With the new mobile phone rules I guess they are now going to jump on this issue as well.

We were walking though our supermarket carpark over Christmas and a woman drove passed us with a phone to her ear and ran straight into a car reversing out of it's bay, no break lights she just slammed straight into it.

We could see the car reversing out long before she got near it.

Makes me wonder if using a phone instantly renders some people completely blind.

Disclaimer: I have a hatred of people driving while using mobile phones as I've had two cars damaged by people running into them while on the phone.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think this is the first time either - story sounds familiar.

Its when I also brought up the cars driving past with 2 DVD screens in headrests, illuminating everything behind the driver. That is distracting, as is the harsh neon signage in shopfront windows.
Hell, the intense light from a police cars warning lights is distracting.

We got a fine in the mail last week.....$547 for disobeying Red Arrow.
$547!

Photos show its genuine - borderline but yeah.

I cant be mad.
Unfortunately my wife has been travelling back and forth across town with her mum going palliative. Mum died 2 days after this offence, so I know the missus has had many things on her mind. I know it wasn't a deliberate act, she's decided she is far enough over the line and continued thru on the red.
But man thats a big number.

They need more money, us drivers are the target.
With everyone driving 10k's under the limit now, they'll make up for it other ways
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

A little bit of click bait here.

Its for Passengers using phones for video calling and watching video.

It's fine for the passenger to send SMS and make standard phone calls though ... and there is nothing stated in the articles regarding people being fined for that.

So yes ... it is covered under the law regarding distracting video within driver vision.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
What the article probably won't mention is how the passenger was likely thrusting the phone in the drivers face screeching "omg look at Bella's Instagram story - saaaahhh cuuute".
Spot on.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Wow, have to make up the revenue somehow if drivers are no longer speeding as much.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Wow, have to make up the revenue somehow if drivers are no longer speeding as much.
Yes and no. Anything that can be "policed" for "safety" using a camera can and will be implemented. Nothing more than untapped revenue streams.

I can be at the lights looking at my UBD paper road map and motorbike ****er cops will just keep riding by. If I look at maps on my phone, I get slammed with a big fine. Hardly just and logical at all. As a result, I have no respect for them. Theyre simply there to raise revenue.

Don't get me wrong, It makes me angry when people are on their phones at the lights wasting time when the light goes green. If its that important that you must operate it for anything other than maps or OBD data streaming (okay maybe music streaming too) then go away and park somewhere.
Doing anything but quick selections for maps, music and obd is no different to doing a quick selection on the cars infotainment system (provided it is windscreen/dash mounted)

Speeding fines are definitely decreasing, only because people have become scared. As a result speed limits are dropping to help make up for it. WA and QLD are super slow to drive in, its exciting when you actually get to sit at the speed limit. Places like NSW its normal to be 10 to 20 over depending where you are. The police are much nicer and make more rash decisions aswell, perhaps less pressure from powers above to raise revenue. Always love coming home to Sydney as you feel freedom behind the wheel. Cant comment on SA and NT as I don't spend enough time in either state. But that's a topic for another day.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

On a less serious note. Is it ok to be distracted driving past a full glass shopfront, and thinking ‘ that looks good’.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcodezd View Post
On a less serious note. Is it ok to be distracted driving past a full glass shopfront, and thinking ‘ that looks good’.
Or the beach in summer...
Old 23-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcodezd View Post
On a less serious note. Is it ok to be distracted driving past through a full glass shopfront, and thinking ‘ that looks good’.
....is more than likely the outcome

https://metermaids.com/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #17
irvinnie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a headline without substance. Doesn’t give the full background story. It has to be a distraction to the driver, making a FaceTime call from the passenger seat and not including the driver isn’t going to fulfil the criteria to satisfy a court but having the driver participate in the call would. Obviously the police have seen this take place to issue the fine. It has been around for years but not enforced/found often.

2014 FGX G6E Turbo Tuned by Walter@Oztek performance 504rwkw on e85/420rwkw on 98 with a PCMTec flex fuel tune

Previous rides
- 2010 FG GT (335 build #152) 437rwkw
- 2012 XR6 turbo Ute 345rwkw
- 2007 Force 6 (build #91) 330 rwkw
- 2010 GTE (build #2) 425rwkw
- 2010 50th anniversary turbo ute 365 rwkw
irvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I must admit I didn't know this, Can not believe Police, RMS NSW are fining front seat passengers now
No, they're not.

They're fining drivers, for breaking the law.

It's really not that difficult to understand.
Breaking the law doesn't suddenly become permissible just because you have a passenger to share the blame.

I would wager that in each case the driver has done something to attract the attention of police, and when pinged, has attempted to escape blame by saying that the distracting device was being operated by the passenger.

One of our cars has a head unit that is capable of playing a DVD. It is obviously illegal to do so whilst driving,
nomatter who else may be watching
Old 23-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I really don't get the difference between using onboard touch screen stuff and a passenger using their own phone
(Obviously, as long as they are not asking you to look at what they are viewing.)
I'd argue using your phone as the driver is safer than using the built in screen which is legal. At least on your phone you could hold it up to the windscreen and still see a little bit in your peripheral vision.
You can't see anything when you tilt your head down.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #20
jimbo51
Starter Motor

To further explore the issue of distraction - at the beginning of the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne just past 3 lanes merging in from Hoddle Street and at the transition from 60 to 100kph we have a screen spanning 4 lanes with colour & moving advertisements.

Seems to be a conflict of interest here - VicRoads getting revenue from leasing the space versus safety?

And there's plenty more examples around the country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled1.jpg (108.1 KB, 25 views)
jimbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #21
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No, they're not.

They're fining drivers, for breaking the law.

It's really not that difficult to understand.
Breaking the law doesn't suddenly become permissible just because you have a passenger to share the blame.

I would wager that in each case the driver has done something to attract the attention of police, and when pinged, has attempted to escape blame by saying that the distracting device was being operated by the passenger.

One of our cars has a head unit that is capable of playing a DVD. It is obviously illegal to do so whilst driving,
nomatter who else may be watching
I'm only the messenger on what I've been told.

https://www.wsfm.com.au/newsroom/syd...-mobile-phone/

Old 24-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo51 View Post
To further explore the issue of distraction - at the beginning of the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne just past 3 lanes merging in from Hoddle Street and at the transition from 60 to 100kph we have a screen spanning 4 lanes with colour & moving advertisements.

Seems to be a conflict of interest here - VicRoads getting revenue from leasing the space versus safety?

Seeing these more and more.
Bright and animated. (And normally advertising rubbish TV)
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #23
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo51 View Post

We had one go up on the right side of a left hand merge. It had the Bonds girls dancing in their underwear for the first couple of weeks
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: