Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #4171
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
It's 3:30am, cannot sleep, so what to do, well watch American Football, it amazes me that the commentators always get a yellow pen and amazingly circle the bad moves during play, oh he should of done this, and he could of gone here to block that play?.....I just have to laugh, it's in hindsight, not before the play but after it's concluded.
And the commentary is just so bad, but it makes me feel better than I am, it's just Yank bull****, but better than the news on Ch 24
Keep watching. It'll put you to sleep and that will make you feel good
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #4172
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Keep watching. It'll put you to sleep and that will make you feel good
Nah, am up for the day now, but will catch an hours nap later today, just getting fed up not sleeping properly, can't be good for my immune system eh!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #4173
slowsnake
Banned

Well today is supposed to be my last birthday on this big ( really ) planet of ours, or so the doctors tell me!....yeah right, so I bought a 6 pack of Bundy and Coke for later on, maybe that will kill me first, but I doubt it, i am not supposed to drink? says who?..so I share my birthdate with, Elvis, Bowie and Shirley Bassy, good company I suppose, but no matter what I am having a drink, I'm 69 years old and feel like I am 169 years old, but, I am very happy, pleased even, and 69 years is a good run in anyone's book!

I am happy, sated and relaxed........
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #4174
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy Birthday mate !!
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #4175
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

happy birthday Billy, I 'll have one tonite for you. you wont feel a thing.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #4176
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
happy birthday Billy, I 'll have one tonite for you. you wont feel a thing.
What!.....just the one?...ya letting the side down, lol

Thank you for the birthday greeting
Old 08-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #4177
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a good day Billy, enjoy the drinks, and remember, read the label on your meds, the bit about not mixing with alcohol, not drive machinery.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #4178
slowsnake
Banned

Well woke up at 3am, no overhang, feeling good, am watching a comedy on TV at present, it's called Hillsong, the comedian is Brian Huston, what a class act, wouldn't pay to see him myself but free to air is fine, just wonder if it's part of the Fringe Festival?

He's good, a magician too, shows you how to make your money vanish, makes you feel good about it too!.......

I love it, unarmed robbery on steroids, too 😎
Old 09-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #4179
slowsnake
Banned

Just sent my brother John a birthday greeting, he's 70 yrs old today, we were born almost a year apart, dad dident even give mum time to catch her breath, maybe he was descended from Brer Rabbit!
Got to laugh about it,
Old 10-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #4180
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Cheers, was working before being on a boat for a week, hoping something simple. I will open it up and post a pic tomorow and see if you can spot something.
Did you end up getting a pic, Ross 1?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #4181
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I have been trying to find the key but will put up a pic this afternoon.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #4182
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My neighbor across the road has been frail for years with trouble breathing and neuralgia. A lifetime of smoking has consequences. Living alone, she can no longer drive and even has trouble walking to the kitchen and making a cup of tea. Jan ​was taken to hospital last September at the start of another Victorian lock-down, then taken to Melbourne to live with her daughter. I have not seen her since but do speak on the phone regularly. It's a difficult situation for both her and her daughter to manage.

I have been mowing the grass, watering the garden and feeding her cats since September while also collecting and forwarding mail. All of this has been done through the kindness of my heart, we all need help from time to time and this is my way of helping. Jan has become a friend over the years, always up for a chat and really helped me during some dark times.

I don't know whether this makes me feel good, bad or embarrassed. Yesterday her daughter was in town to check on the house and catch up with other family. We text each other often as I pass on mail or check on things. We caught up in person for the first time since last September and I was given an envelope that Jan "wanted me to have". I opened it up later in the day to find a substantial sum of cash.

I didn't do any of this for a financial gain, I was just helping in the way I know how. I feel good to be recognized and appreciated but also embarrassed. I would hate for anyone to think I have taken advantage in any way. Jan is my friend and I feel odd about taking that envelope.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #4183
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

DFB I can imagine your feeling about that….
First off what a nice gesture of her in doing that - old school my friend old school she’s a good person feeling to give as such.
You might embarrass her giving it back putting yourself in her shoes.
In saying that if you feel better giving it back do so…….
Nice storey mate in these gloom times your a good bloke.
Wish you were my neighbour
We could detail together - what a gleaming fleet of loved ones - only negative I’d feel compelled to follow doing my garage floor - montage my walls more and the wife would be having head spins money I spend in the man cave lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 07:18 PM   #4184
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sometimes siblings get ratty on parents giving away money, But I think if daughter and you are still on good terms than its no one elses business what mum does.
Good deed mate.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #4185
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My neighbor across the road has been frail for years with trouble breathing and neuralgia. A lifetime of smoking has consequences. Living alone, she can no longer drive and even has trouble walking to the kitchen and making a cup of tea. Jan ​was taken to hospital last September at the start of another Victorian lock-down, then taken to Melbourne to live with her daughter. I have not seen her since but do speak on the phone regularly. It's a difficult situation for both her and her daughter to manage.

I have been mowing the grass, watering the garden and feeding her cats since September while also collecting and forwarding mail. All of this has been done through the kindness of my heart, we all need help from time to time and this is my way of helping. Jan has become a friend over the years, always up for a chat and really helped me during some dark times.

I don't know whether this makes me feel good, bad or embarrassed. Yesterday her daughter was in town to check on the house and catch up with other family. We text each other often as I pass on mail or check on things. We caught up in person for the first time since last September and I was given an envelope that Jan "wanted me to have". I opened it up later in the day to find a substantial sum of cash.

I didn't do any of this for a financial gain, I was just helping in the way I know how. I feel good to be recognized and appreciated but also embarrassed. I would hate for anyone to think I have taken advantage in any way. Jan is my friend and I feel odd about taking that envelope.
Yes, I can understand why you're feeling uncomfortable. As others have said, the first thing to acknowledge is your kind heart. This situation only came to be because you are such a kind person to begin with.

If it was me recognising your efforts over the last few months, I would have given you a box of chocolates or a tatts pack. Something to recognise your efforts but not substantial enough to make you feel uncomfortable for the recognition.

Also like FTE said, now you're in a sticky situation. Hand it back and you could offend those who gave it to you. Given that you talk to both of them regularly, politely say thanks to them for the recognition, reinforce that their way of recognising your efforts was way too much and that you wouldn't expect anything like that again. Suggest something else that might be suitable: a simple thanks or some other 'token' gift that gives them the sense of thanking you, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #4186
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DFB, it's nice to see that people do appreciate what you do.
I do the odd job for some old ducks, they need a powerpoint fixed or a bulb changed. I'm only in there for 10 mins so I don't charge them anything as I'm usually passing by anyway. Next time I see them they have baked me a chocolate cake or bikkies as a thanks, that means much more to me than $$$ (not that I expect the cake).

It's the simple things you do that, in real terms, are so simple and insignificant but to those people who can't do it themselves, you are a lifesaver!!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 10:10 PM   #4187
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Reading posts like this makes me feel good knowing there are still many good people out there helping fellow neighbours, you sir are one of the best.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #4188
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
sometimes siblings get ratty on parents giving away money, But I think if daughter and you are still on good terms than its no one elses business what mum does.
Good deed mate.
It's fair, just feeding and caring for the cat is a big deal, and costs me $25 bucks a fortnight for just basic food, that's probably what she appreciates, I would just accept it and feel good about it, you dident ask for it but she knows what you are doing is costly, not time, that's free, but cat food and worrying about it is stress city, accept it with a smile
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:39 PM   #4189
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Good on you. I would send her a nice bunch of flowers with a thank you card letting her know that you were doing this for her as a great neighbour and friend and you appreciate her kind thoughts.................

We just drove 900ks with a sentimental cactus for a recently widowed long term next door neighbour.......
Old 11-01-2022, 09:43 AM   #4190
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I have a Sessions clock that belonged to my grandparents . They were married in 1920 and it was a wedding present . I guess it's about 100 years old.. Cannot locate the winder key and the mechanism only ran for a few minutes . One day I'd love to get it fixed . It'd be awesome ..
Hey roddy, sorry I haven't got back to you on this earlier post. Generally, there are only about a half dozen different winding keys. The gent who has been helping me out has a small stash of them in his workshop, ready for any such occasion. If you can find someone in your area that is in to repairing clocks, they may just have the right key for you to use. Then you know what to look for to find another one. That same resource may even have a spare one that you could have. Would be great to be able to get that clock running again, too, as it sounds like a key may just be all that is needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #4191
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Hey roddy, sorry I haven't got back to you on this earlier post. Generally, there are only about a half dozen different winding keys. The gent who has been helping me out has a small stash of them in his workshop, ready for any such occasion. If you can find someone in your area that is in to repairing clocks, they may just have the right key for you to use. Then you know what to look for to find another one. That same resource may even have a spare one that you could have. Would be great to be able to get that clock running again, too, as it sounds like a key may just be all that is needed.
If you look at the movement it should have a model number, the Sessions clocks are not rare and you can still buy keys, just need design number from movement

https://www.clockshop.com.au/parts/winding-keys/
Old 11-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #4192
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rode bicycle to get a newspaper etc this morning and apart from the usual rubbish I pick up I found an 8mm socket thing (to drive hex head screws in/out) and on the way back, a slightly different way, I found a nice-looking Kincrome 8mm ring/open-ended spanner with some sort of ratchet in the ring-end.

A couple of months ago someone put some tools out on the footpath, including two large Sidchrome double-ended ring spanners: 1 1/8" - 1 1/4"; the other 15/16" - 1". Might never find any need for them. They would have been expensive to buy. (I saw an article about collecting Sidchrome spanners in a club newsletter ... must read it.)
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #4193
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Rode bicycle to get a newspaper etc this morning and apart from the usual rubbish I pick up I found an 8mm socket thing (to drive hex head screws in/out) and on the way back, a slightly different way, I found a nice-looking Kincrome 8mm ring/open-ended spanner with some sort of ratchet in the ring-end.

A couple of months ago someone put some tools out on the footpath, including two large Sidchrome double-ended ring spanners: 1 1/8" - 1 1/4"; the other 15/16" - 1". Might never find any need for them. They would have been expensive to buy. (I saw an article about collecting Sidchrome spanners in a club newsletter ... must read it.)
The find was probably a lazy trademan. Leaving stuff on the rear bumber then driving off. Atleast it wasnt screws.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #4194
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that long ago I picked up 30 long, stainless steel screws at a roundabout after driving thru it. They would have slid off a ute's tray. I checked the car's tyres and they were OK. Nails and screws are all over the place.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #4195
Kicking back

Quote:
Not that long ago I picked up 30 long, stainless steel screws at a roundabout after driving thru it. They would have slid off a ute's tray. I checked the car's tyres and they were OK. Nails and screws are all over the place.
Its seriosly just poor house keeping. When i was on the tools i was anal about stuff like that. Regardless of if its a work car or not, picking up a screw ruins your day. I worked with one bloke who got casterated over not cleaning as he went and doing a half assed job cleaning after replacing light fittings in a car park as it was knock off time. He blamed the apprentice, but that excuse doesnt float as to a degree you have to keep an eye on apprentices. Bad habbits dont teach themselves. 3 tennant cars copped a flat, 1 copped 3 flats. Roller cases or screw boxs were invented for a reason. Drop a screw, pick it up. Its not that hard.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #4196
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Isn't it great what you find when riding a bike.
Once found a nice new expensive multimeter in a water catchment.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #4197
marty351
Shenanigans..............

While driving home one night, came across a near new 3D maglight torch, complete with energizer industrial batteries. Suspect it came from a cop after pulling someone over. It was in the middle of the left lane too, so must have been the first one to come across it.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #4198
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Read your other post about most keys being the same, so I am on the look out for a second hand key. Can't see too much from the photo but the pendulum had fallen off, the coil for the chime is really loose but other than that I don't know anything more till I can wind it up.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #4199
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Read your other post about most keys being the same, so I am on the look out for a second hand key. Can't see too much from the photo but the pendulum had fallen off, the coil for the chime is really loose but other than that I don't know anything more till I can wind it up.
That mechanism looks almost identical to the one in the clock of mine I posted a picture of earlier.

First, lets get the key out of the way. If your mechanism is the same as mine, my key has an 8 stamped into it.

Using this site as a reference, a No 8 key fits a 4.25mm square shaft. By my calculated eye, and a rough measure with a measuring tape (coz I couldn't find a ruler) that seems about right. If you can measure the shaft on your clock, you'll at least be able to match up your clock to the key size you need.

This site is an aussie one and has a No 8 key in stock for $5. They also offers star clock keys in even and odd sizes. A bit more expensive ($16.50) but at least a good chance that you'll find something that fits. And best bit is, they have them available.

Ok, on to getting your clock running. I can see the suspension spring is there and that the pendulum suspension spring rods are fitted. That is where the pendulum is suspended from. Following the shaft visible in the picture down, you have the pendulum guide (a bit hard to see in this pic as the chime (or gong) spring is in the way) where the pendulum sits and makes the mechanism run.

Once your clock is wound, encourage that guide to start. If everything is ok, it should run fairly strongly for a couple of minutes without the pendulum. If it doesn't that means there's an issue somewhere else, maybe things need a good lube, or perhaps one of the bearings is worn.

If everything runs ok up to this stage, it's time to suspend the pendulum. Hang it from the spring rods, ensuring the pendulum shaft sits inside the guide, but that it doesn't touch the front (clock face) side of the guide as this will cause it to sop quite quickly. Start the pendulum and see how it runs.

The next part is to listen to the clock mechanism: it should be a nice, even rhythm. It should be tick.....tock.....tick.....tock not tick..tock........tick..tock. If the rhythm is uneven, there should be arms from the face with screws that attach from the back that allow you to loosen the mechanism and rotate the face within the body of the clock. Incrementally adjust this until the rhythm is nice and even.

Having done all that, your clock should then work ok. The last thing to do is to adjust the length of the weight on the pendulum so that the clock keeps time. Run the weight down the shaft if it's running fast, and up the shaft if it's running slow. Very minor adjustments may be needed to get it spot on. Start off with visible changes to the location of the weight on the shaft so that a discernible difference in time keeping is evident. Then make finer adjustments as you go.

Hope that helps, Ross 1. Sing out and let us know how you go along the way. Hopefully it's just a case of the clock needing winding to get going again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #4200
Kicking back

I went from helping to taking over the job, but got the bushes, lowered leaf springs and new shocks in my brothers au ute today. Car looks good for a base au. Hes happy with it. The thing had already been lowered in the front, but the rear was the factory option hd leaf springs and the shocks were pretty much dead. So now it doesnt look goofy and deffinately isnt bouncy in the rear.