Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #4411
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Another poor qualifying by Mercedes GP team.

Roll on Melbourne in two weeks!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 10:17 PM   #4412
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

In Bunnies tonight for a couple of sealant cartridges to do a rush job tomorrow. They were playing Human League’s Don’t You Want Me. I’d forgotten about the “his and hers” verses; amazing how the words started coming back as it played. Made me smile, almost wanted to sing along.

Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #4413
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to the WACA to watch the Sheffield Shield with my 30 year old son. Hamburger, couple of drinks, sitting in the shade of a stand, nice and overcast, gentle breeze, bludy perfect.

Had to laugh at a young girl about 18 sitting behind me, took a phone call, "Hi,...boring...they all look the same...there's some sort of score board but I can't figure it out,... has all these names on it...all I understand is 7 for 321".
6 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #4414
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a chat with management about my job today. I picked up some $$$ for a couple of months, but more importantly I laid all my cards on the table and that in itself was good.

While that is appreciated, it is a pattern they want to keep me so throw out some $$$ every now again but never address my concerns over years.

What's more important is that I didn't chase this at all, I fed the whinging breadcrumbs into the ears of influence and got a bite!

I made it clear that I will still keep looking elsewhere but got to take a win when you get one
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #4415
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

After 47 days at sea heading back to Darwin tomorrow, should be home in Bundy on the 5th and will probably sleep for a week.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #4416
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
After 47 days at sea heading back to Darwin tomorrow, should be home in Bundy on the 5th and will probably sleep for a week.....
After 47 days at sea, sleep wouldn't be my first priority
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #4417
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
After 47 days at sea, sleep wouldn't be my first priority
Trust me when i say nobody is thinking of that after this last trip

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #4418
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Spotted a full-grown Powerful Owl in a nearby tree, complete with McPossum takeaway snack. What a wonderful bird; huge and special.
8 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 09:16 PM   #4419
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Spotted a full-grown Powerful Owl in a nearby tree, complete with McPossum takeaway snack. What a wonderful bird; huge and special.
One day, I wish to be described as huge and special too.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #4420
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Anyone with a turbo diesel that has fly by wire throttle should just fit one of these, i cannot recommend them highly enough...

A lot of companies seem to be marketing this but it seems to be the same identical product just in different colours and packaging.

Every time i take my Merc out for a drive it makes me feel good now

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #4421
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Got back into Wangaratta this morning and spotted a beaut long nose Peterbilt, walk into town 20 mins later and see another short hood Peterbilt.
Seeing 1 is rare enough in Australia but spotting 2 in 20 mins on the same stretch of road is something. Made my day.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #4422
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Honestly? I had such a big dump that the pile was above the water level. And this in a 1970s toilet, not these new low water jobbies. Felt pretty good after that.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #4423
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

C,mon keep the forum clean
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2022, 11:28 PM   #4424
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Honestly? I had such a big dump that the pile was above the water level. And this in a 1970s toilet, not these new low water jobbies. Felt pretty good after that.
You built a castle, and for a short while, were the King!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #4425
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sit on your own nest egg.

you created it, you built it now destroy it.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:08 AM   #4426
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not stopping on Monday for a coffee at Blackheath cafe when I was driving to Wentworth Falls to do valley of the waters/slack ladder Wentworth walk. I drove past the cafe and decided to not waste 35 minutes odd there- as it was very busy.

I was some 35 minutes in front of that poor English family that was hit by the landslide. I actually heard the fall at about 1.30 pm odd when I was at the very top at the end of the walk walking back on the top edge cliff overland trail to Wentworth falls carpark area.

It made me feel good with realisation now if I had stopped for that coffee before going for the walk.....

Fate and chance is a strange thing.

Ironically, I am a rock climber and have experienced rockfall a few times, once had rockfall when I was 200 metres up a 455 metre cliff, huge rock falling above, crashing and bounding down towards me, melded my head against the cliff face underneath a slight overhanging ripple above, and kissed my **** and waited. Fate and chance-all I could do was relax and what would be would be.

When I did the walk I checked out the barricaded National pass track which was closed due to rockfall. National pass runs some 350 metres above the Valley of the Waters which runs along below it.

Somehow I could not figure out why if rocks threatened National pass, it would not cause an issue 350 metres below- I have worked out gravity has a habit of making objects of mass go down.

Anyway, I thought oh well, the parks have not shut down the Valley of Waters/slack ladder route.

So I proceeded down, and when walking along the Valley of Waters route, it was wet. A strange sense of dread about rockfall came over me, when I saw large slabs of rock above held in the embankment by damp earth, and the slabs of rock were tilted which meant they could be more prone to sliding.

I then decided to open my ears fully and listen to the mountain for any sounds of falling rock, and if I heard anything or felt tremors, my plan was to immediately look up, try locate direction of fall based on movement and sound, and based on the quick observation make a split decision to bolt left/right.

Just so strange I have this foreboding and some 35 minutes later a poor family suffered the scenario I was dreading....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 07-04-2022 at 02:20 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2022, 02:41 AM   #4427
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have thought about my post and this realisation did not make me feel good- it shocked me with the realisation this evening that not stopping for the coffee may have saved my life.

Nothing about what happened to that English family makes me feel good. They were on holiday and probably thought -this is a famous walk and is run by decent Australian institution.

But that is the rub- although the National Parks have done a great job on the trails and the work with standstone steps and guard rails etc can lull you into thinking you are walking in a totally safeproofed environment, you are still walking and scrambling in the mountains of mother nature.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:10 AM   #4428
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Agree very much with your last paragraph.

I was at Echo Point / Three Sisters about 3:30PM that day, there was no indication of anything awry in the locale, even then. (Was actually looking casually at the footings of some newer observation decking as we wandered, and trying to spot their reference points for checking movement.)

The only giveaway of an event was a huge rush of emergency vehicles on the return to Sydney, and we assumed just your usual messy home-time road crash.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:38 AM   #4429
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Being scammed by the cat; half past midnight he was bleating in my ear, it seemed the usual “I neeeed to goooo” (as kids sometimes say). Saddled him up with collar, harness and lead, we went walking / squelching in the park and backyard by phone torchlight.

Turned out, he just wanted a sniff around, a sit and a look about. After forty minutes he was happy to come in, and is now sleeping contentedly in his bed. There’s that childlike innocence to his self-interest; it’s endearing.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #4430
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your starting to sound like someone else who used to prattle on about his cat.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #4431
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Being scammed by the cat; half past midnight he was bleating in my ear, it seemed the usual “I neeeed to goooo” (as kids sometimes say). Saddled him up with collar, harness and lead, we went walking / squelching in the park and backyard by phone torchlight.

Turned out, he just wanted a sniff around, a sit and a look about. After forty minutes he was happy to come in, and is now sleeping contentedly in his bed. There’s that childlike innocence to his self-interest; it’s endearing.
Is that you slowsnake?
Old 08-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #4432
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Not stopping on Monday for a coffee at Blackheath cafe when I was driving to Wentworth Falls to do valley of the waters/slack ladder Wentworth walk. I drove past the cafe and decided to not waste 35 minutes odd there- as it was very busy.

I was some 35 minutes in front of that poor English family that was hit by the landslide. I actually heard the fall at about 1.30 pm odd when I was at the very top at the end of the walk walking back on the top edge cliff overland trail to Wentworth falls carpark area.

It made me feel good with realisation now if I had stopped for that coffee before going for the walk.....

Fate and chance is a strange thing.

Ironically, I am a rock climber and have experienced rockfall a few times, once had rockfall when I was 200 metres up a 455 metre cliff, huge rock falling above, crashing and bounding down towards me, melded my head against the cliff face underneath a slight overhanging ripple above, and kissed my **** and waited. Fate and chance-all I could do was relax and what would be would be.

When I did the walk I checked out the barricaded National pass track which was closed due to rockfall. National pass runs some 350 metres above the Valley of the Waters which runs along below it.

Somehow I could not figure out why if rocks threatened National pass, it would not cause an issue 350 metres below- I have worked out gravity has a habit of making objects of mass go down.

Anyway, I thought oh well, the parks have not shut down the Valley of Waters/slack ladder route.

So I proceeded down, and when walking along the Valley of Waters route, it was wet. A strange sense of dread about rockfall came over me, when I saw large slabs of rock above held in the embankment by damp earth, and the slabs of rock were tilted which meant they could be more prone to sliding.

I then decided to open my ears fully and listen to the mountain for any sounds of falling rock, and if I heard anything or felt tremors, my plan was to immediately look up, try locate direction of fall based on movement and sound, and based on the quick observation make a split decision to bolt left/right.

Just so strange I have this foreboding and some 35 minutes later a poor family suffered the scenario I was dreading....
Great story, asagaai. Thanks for sharing. These sorts of events can really help put your life into perspective.

It's pretty clear, to me at least, that your experience in these sorts of environments provided you with the skills to be able to identify the potential risk, and hence your senses were in overdrive. I'm sure the poor family didn't have that same skill set.

A friend of mine was over in New York when 9/11 occurred. She spent time at different schools during the week helping teachers to learn how to be teachers. She had travelled through the subway station less than an hour before the first plane hit. Very fortunate.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #4433
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Wow! jealous of that..... have found recently that we have a family of Frogmouths in the trees right alongside our house.

Betty the Magpie & the other 3 rejects have been " welcoming" me home, along with the dogs when i pull into the drive now.... ffs the dogs alone are annoying enough!
HIPO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #4434
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Having ordered a new seat and other parts for the little John Deere project, 2 days ago from the local dealer. Paying less than the quoted price and everything arriving today earlier than was told.
Good customer service JD happy with that. You listening Franco ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #4435
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Is that you slowsnake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
Your starting to sound like someone else who used to prattle on about his cat.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #4436
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recent changes have improved fuel economy to 6.7 litres per 100k. BA wagon 325,000 kms.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #4437
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not seeing Mercedes 1,2 and not seeing Hamilton on the podium for a change.
And how good was it seeing an Alfa Romeo competing.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #4438
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Replaced one of my own downpipes, because it had lost 100% of its ability to convey roof water. Makes a change from chasing the building problems of other people. Eight more downpipes to go.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #4439
.:4:.
Kicking back

So a bit of a random one. So yesterday i knocked over the grass thats a useless patch no one ever goes to. This arvo i went to grab the hose thats on that corner of the house and noticed what appeared to be a black plastic bag. But it looked at me. It was an injured tawny frogmouth. I didnt approach it, called wires. Told them i dunno what it is but i think. The lady on the other end of the phone said multiple times that theyre a volunteer based orginisation and gave no eta on when someone would arrive. Got a call 5 minutes later saying a volunteer is 15 minutes out. 5 minutes later a lady who would be in her 70s turns up with nothing more then a bedsheet. The ladpicks up the bird with its busted wing. She was happy with just the verbal appreciation, but i made a cash donation to wires. I get it, donation funded volunteer operated organisations often get taken advantage of. This lady reckoned this plastic bag looking bird, bar the busted wing, was otherwise a healthy bird. So not busted for too long and not hungry or malnutritioned.
It was surprising i even noticed it. It was on the tarp from my brothers ute that was around the side of my house and camouflaged pretty well being it was a black and grey bird on the tarp off a crappy au.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2022, 01:15 AM   #4440
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I learnt about factory five and in particular their 818 kit car , makes me feel good because of course a blokes got to dream.
OTOH if things go pear shaped in the world I can bail with a tray, canopy, slide out kitchen, pantry, drawers, roof top tent and solar because I'm working this store all alone anyway...
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post