Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default Number of IRS fitted cars

G'day All, a very long time since my last post

I was just talking with the bilstein and koni guys in Australia as I'm running bilsteins in the front of my AU1 XR6 VCT sedan and wanted rears and the koni guy I talked to at toperformance said IRS AU's are a rare bird compared to the live axle models but I wouldn't think it would be like super rare.

Does anyone have any possible idea on how many IRS fitted AU's there would be out there from S1-3?

Bilsteins have no shocks available for the rear of my car so hence I went to Koni

I was just very curious after he said that as to how many there might be
Old 25-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Number of IRS fitted cars

I suppose when compared to the live axle the IRS would be more "rare".

However, IRS was fitted standard across all series to XR6 VCT sedan, XR8 sedan, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, LTD and all T-Series not to mention any sedans optioned with it as a factory option.

So I wouldn't really call them "rare" as such.

Finding out how many IRS cars were made would involve tallying all of the above vehicles, a fair bit of research in that one.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not so much that the IRS rear ends that are rare, it's obtaining replacement parts is the problem and when you do locate a part or parts their ridiculous prices.
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU IRS is the most sophisticated falcon IRS imo, much more complex than ba-fg but lasts hell of a lot longer and rides better for it, weighs slightly more to.
Im on 185xxxkm and have only changed lower outer hyme joints and shocks, the rest is still good as gold and no issues.
There a few more bits that need to be changed in comparison hence the bigger repair bill, especially if you compare it to a live axle setup!

There not exactly rare, all t-series got it, all fairlane, all ghia and then some fairmont and xr6. There would be a **** ton out there, and there is clearly demand for parts as superpro have just released new strut top mounts for the rear. The only thing yet to be brought it diff cradle bushes, rest available on shelf now.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Not rare at all. A Forte or Futura with irs would be rare though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
BuuBox

Funny how quite a bit of IRS stuff has been released only recently, like the Superpro strut top mounts and even the Shockworks coil overs. Must be a bit of demand out there.

This thread suggests 235,990 total AUs built, with 11,742 XR models that would have come with IRS standard (except that includes utes). Add 746 FTEs, 12,439 Fairlanes and LTDs (according to Wikipedia), and that's at least 25,000 cars.

But you have to minus utes from the XR numbers and add Fairmont Ghias and any examples that got the optional IRS. So who knows.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: