Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Vortex-98

Default AU1 fairmont ghia no steering radio controls

Hey guys when i bought my au v8 fairmont ghia it had an aftermarket radio installed (with bluetooth) KENWOOD KDC-u363 ..how do i reconnect it up to my steering wheel controls?

Last edited by Vortex-98; 29-12-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Vortex-98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: AU1 fairmont ghia no steering radio controls

you would need a connecting wire loom search ebay
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. First thing to do is to see if the radio now fitted has a remote control input wire or socket on the back of it and then get in touch with autobarn, supercheap, repco or car audio place about the following items from aerpro, a Steering Wheel Control primary harness (connects to car wiring loom and contains an interface for the steering wheel controls), a radio brand specific patch lead (programs the interface to suit your radio) and you may require a secondary harness (from iso plugs to your radio power/speaker plug to the steering wheel control harness). Make sure to check your build date as there was a change during the life of the AU and if it doesnt work make sure you can return it/swap it for the other one. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Tiger57

I've got one of these https://www.elite-electronics.com.au...e#caracc-wheel in my XR6 at moment. Works well. They also have this https://www.elite-electronics.com.au...e#caracc-wheel if your head unit doesn't have the wired remote option.
Tiger57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had a CAT10 in my AU. It also worked flawlessly.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Vortex-98

Thanks for your input,yes has a remote control an on the front has usb an aux plug input any good or do I need to pull it out an look for remote con wire?
Old 30-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Tiger57

Looking at the User Manual for the KDC-u363 it states that it has the facilities for the Wired Remote. So it looks like you could probably use either of those Interfaces. But you would need to confirm with the Seller to see if they are compatible with the Head Unit.
Tiger57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #8
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CAT 10 website doesn't seem to come up any more, so not sure whether you can still get them.
If all else fails, build your own. In the EL I ordered another remote, hooked up the functions I wanted from it's circuit board to a trashed TV remote, ran the LED through an AU clockspring - it points to the HU. Fair amount of work of course.
Still works well after many years.

Last edited by snap0964; 16-08-2017 at 09:16 PM.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 12:31 AM   #9
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Here is the link for the CAT 10

http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Stinge...terface/CAT10/
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hi Vortex 98,

Have a look at your wiring harness first.

I recently replaced audio unit in my au2 recently when CD died and the need for BT functionality became unbearable. Most expensive part is primary wiring harness.

Most wiring harnesses are made by Aerpro and available from different vendors in ebay / Supercheap etc.

As mentioned by others,installing an aftermarket head unit involves connecting three wiring harnesses between existing wiring and head unit as mentions in previous posts. ie – Primary harness which is car specific and make the connections ISO standard, a headunit specific secondary harness and a patch lead to connect steering wheel control bits from primary harness to headunit.

Have a look at Aerpro website: https://aerpro.com/vehicles/ford/for...s_i_ii_and_iii

There are two versions of car specific primary harnesses – one is with a box for steering wheel mounted remote controls (CHAU23C) and the other is without it (APP053), which is a much cheaper version.

If previous owner installed in the cheapest possible mode then they may have hard wired a ISO type primary harness with bare wires (AP1053) to the connector which came with the head unit. If that is the case then you will need a secondary harness too.

Please have a look at your wiring and check what primary harness version you have; I suspect that previous owner may have installed the harness without remote controls. If that is the case then you will need the proper harness (CHAU23C) and a patch lead type C (APKWPL).

Sorry about the long winded post; hope it helps anybody searching for the same info in the future.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post