Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Vehicles Club of Tasmania > General Discussions

Old 31-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
HSE2

Default Weekend at Howell Automotive

Hello everyone. Just want to bring everyone up to speed with my recent trip to Hobart and reacquaintance with Howell Automotive.

The longer term members and our southern friends would be familiar with Rodney and his business. In the past we have conducted two very successful Dyno days, one of which I still rate as a club highlight.

What many might not know is Rodney’s investment in a brand new first class facility and his expanded range of offerings for the Ford enthusiast. It’s these aspects I wish to speak of.

Please read on.

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
HSE2

As you can see, not only is the infrastructure a class act but so too is the parking space. Many on this forum would know either personally or heard of by reputation of Spiro from Autotech in Sydney.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time with this man over the weekend. His impression of this new workshop? Well I don't think I will be in trouble if I suggest he was just a touch envious. To have this much space for parking and be positioned as conveniently as Rodney is here would require his Sydney business to be fairly well removed from its current location.

Compared to the old building /site, it’s like chalk and cheese.

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 31-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
HSE2

This next picture shows the purpose built dyno room and gives a clue as to the depth of engineering applied. There is also a very interesting story behind the headache and compliance of building structures like this today.

Last edited by HSE2; 31-08-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
HSE2

How secure is the car?

Glad you asked.

Old 31-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
HSE2

On the dyno

Numbers compared favourably with Spiro’s own shop to within a few kws. We all know what that means.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
HSE2

What pictures can't tell you.

To start with I must make a small mention to the man I call the "gentle giant". He is a bloke who speaks to you, not at you, explains everything, has the very best stories and is so friendly it nearly defies description. The best of company in conversation or over a meal and seemingly dedicated to pleasing the customer with the highest degree of knowledge, experience and professionalism. Spiro from Autotech, thanks for spending a weekend in Tassie. It’s a shame the weather wasn't more accommodating but it really was a pleasure to meet you and see you in action.

Most by now will know Tim was fortunate enough to have Spiro tune his car.

Click here for Tim's Dyno story

As a committee member of our great club we are always on the lookout for value in either recommendations or experiences that we can provide to you, the members. That’s where your membership dollar goes. Sometimes as a consequence we have a great time exploring these possibilities. This was such an occasion.

Rodney and Vera extended such an invitation to us and I am here to tell you the benefits that Ford enthusiasts can derive from patronage of local businesses such as Howell Automotive are unquantifiable. Many of us are in business ourselves and we all know and have felt the need to seek out mainland competitors for expertise and skill. I am here to tell you guys we don't need to do that any longer.

If this sounds passionate then that’s exactly how it should sound.

I quote from Spiro, "why would you go elsewhere"

Why indeed!

We finally have someone with the experience, the facilities, the passion, the attitude and the dedication to deliver what we as Ford fans have lacked for so long. It’s not a simple recommendation to support local business. I don't do that easily but for me all boxes are ticked in this local package.

There is more to come too, but that is best left to one on one time with Rodney. Next time anyone is near Moonah call in say hi. Introduce yourselves as club members and see for yourself the benefits of having such a first class operation in our own back yard.

Last edited by HSE2; 31-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats good to hear, because mines booked in Friday morning.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
What pictures can't tell you.

To start with I must make a small mention to the man I call the "gentle giant". He is a bloke who speaks to you, not at you, explains everything, has the very best stories and is so friendly it nearly defies description. The best of company in conversation or over a meal and seemingly dedicated to pleasing the customer with the highest degree of knowledge, experience and professionalism. Spiro from Autotech, thanks for spending a weekend in Tassie.
I think you have summed up the man well Ian. As some of you may know my GT (WASP) has been in the care of Spiro and Autotech for some time now. I don’t live in NSW’s were Autotech is located so the decision to freight the WASP over there, some 1400km’s away was quite a large one. Speaking with Spiro numerous times before the car left Adelaide I was constantly staggered by the man’s generosity and passion of his customers and craft. At the time, let’s just say I was caught between a rock and hard place. Spiro owed me nothing and had never met with me before, but you would never guess this from the way that he responded. The level of understanding and depth of engineering knowledge the man demonstrated quickly put my mind at ease and continues to do so to this day.

I know little about Rodney, Vera and their impressive new facilities at Howell Automotive. From what I can see however, and will no doubt hear from Spiro, you Ford performance guys have got something great going now in Hobart. It would be great to see Howell Automotive as a forum sponsor for all our Tasmanian members to hear about and share their business and customer success stories.

Colville
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Very nice write up there Ian.

I will echo Ian’s statement in regards to the new workshop. It is a fantastic setup and there is not much that they can’t do in house for you. I have been a long time customer of Howell Automotive and have always been exceptionally happy with their service. Through my many visits to Howell I have always been impressed by the way Rodney and Vera and also their staff have always explained the work they are carrying out and have always answered my questions.
With the recent addition of the SCT flash tune software, along with all of the other products they sell and install, Howell Automotive is fast becoming a one stop Ford tuning shop this is great news for our club.

As for my own experience, I’m sure those of you that know me, will know how fussy I am about all of my cars. For me to leave a car at a workshop for someone else to drive and work on takes a huge amount of trust. I have no hesitation in regarding Rodney and his team to any of our club members.

Cheers
Tim
2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Damn!

I was there for a few hours on Saturday, and would have loved to have met you Ian... by the looks of the pics you were obviously there on Sunday....

good plug for rodney, he certainly is very approachable, easy to talk with, and demonstrates an obvious passion for our cars.

If your club was active at our local tracks I would join in a heart beat, but alas for me - 'cruises' and wine tastings just don't light my fire. Shame, because there's some nice cars in the club, and the members seem a good sort of bunch. Buggered if I know why there's such a reluctance to drive the *** off them on a safe, controlled, and true high speed venue...

Anyways, my loss for not having gone to the Ball & Chain on Saturday night, maybe next time. It would have been great to put a face to the most 'professional' poster on the Ford Forums.

best regards

Shane

aka Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
HSE2

Hi Shane.

Yes it’s a pity you didn't make it on Saturday night as I certainly would have liked to have caught up with you. F6T was there so I met him for the first time which was good.

The focus of the club is to bring like minded people together. This weekend gone, to me, re enforced how successful we are at doing just that. Tim was getting calls all weekend, I learnt for the first time of relationships that had expanded between club members outside of the club environment. What we do in a family environment is our aim. We want to involve everyone in the family.

Specifically, on track days, we don’t have the ability to do these events in our own right but where ever possible endeavour to alert members to these possibilities.

The Tickford product and by extension the FPV brand is about driving enjoyment. We essentially will always embrace driver’s roads and wish to subject members to the pure passion and pleasure of a great road more so that the specific challenge of a track.

We actually don’t do much in the way of a traditional cruise. Car shows are about waving the brands flag in a public way. Exposing the public to the product.

Wine tasting isn't part of the club environment. Not sure where you got that idea from unless it stems from the indulgence tours. They are called that for a reason but from the outside it might not be immediately apparent that the design of those days is actually road focused as well. Obviously we don’t and can’t promote drink driving.

The focus is for most part on the members and the relationship with the product. We look at how we can enhance those elements. In doing this we are proud to provide exposure to FPV employees in way of either visits from them directly or presentations at the FPV family days. We have driven to Clipsal as a club and in the next few days we are embarking on a trip to the muscle car masters. You will be able to read about that experience in this thread as well.

Speaking for myself the club is as much about people as it is about the cars and with that in mind the experience of being involved with these guys has enhanced my product experience and broadened my opportunities.

Not every club event suits everyone. I don't particularly like club displays but they are important in raising product awareness and in this state that's important. We are at the stage now where people can pick and choose which events they attend but yet take advantage of the greater social settings and experiences.

Last edited by HSE2; 02-09-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Very well written Ian as only can be expected from you seeing your posts here on the forums and congrats to Howell Automotive on a first class looking tune/workshop good luck to you and may you look after fellow Ford enthusiats on the ilse for many years on.......
Colville summed up Spiro perfectly and I'm happy to say having known him for near 20yrs he hasn't changed one bit even with all the success he deserves for I know how hard he has worked to get where he is, LOL yes I could see how jealous he would be of Howell's facility and available parking for if you ever get the chance to visit Autotech your scratching to find a parking space believe me !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Very well written Ian as only can be expected from you seeing your posts here on the forums and congrats to Howell Automotive on a first class looking tune/workshop good luck to you and may you look after fellow Ford enthusiats on the ilse for many years on.......
Colville summed up Spiro perfectly and I'm happy to say having known him for near 20yrs he hasn't changed one bit even with all the success he deserves for I know how hard he has worked to get where he is, LOL yes I could see how jealous he would be of Howell's facility and available parking for if you ever get the chance to visit Autotech your scratching to find a parking space believe me !
Thanks for the kind words.
Perhaps the next T series gathering might be in Tasmania so you guys can sample some of these wide open spaces.