Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wanted: for Ford to build a Falcon with a decent manual tranny

I've owned both an XE Falcon with a 4 speed manual and now an EL XR6 with a 5 speed. I figured out that the shift quality of these cars isn't quite up there. But it was highlighted today by the fact the 92 Laser with 5 speed manual I got today as a loan car shifts better than either of my cars I have owned. Even after 13 years, this Laser shifts better than my EL XR6 did at 2 and a half years old when I got it. While the Laser has defined slots and fairly easy to engage, the Falcon can be notchier and be unwilling to downshift from 5th to 3rd or anything to 2nd. Then there's the crunch that comes from downshifts to 2nd if you're doing 50+ km/h - this is the only gear that does this.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah righto...its called evolution, doesn't happen overnight unfortunatley.

Have you tried the ford against, say a commy?

The T5 is a widely used g'box that has its flaws (like all); but overall is not that bad. And your T5 is going to be "not as good" as the laser because its handling a lot more power, size, weight etc etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found the T5 in my BA XR6 to be fine....but theres plenty of others out there who don't like it.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I prefer the T5 in my BA XR8 to the T6 in my previous SS in shift quality, it's magnitudes better. However, I preferred the ratio's of the SS better (well, apart from 6th most of the time)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Bring back the Toploader!

Oh, you were complaining about shift quality.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I prefer the T5 in my BA XR8 to the T6 in my previous SS in shift quality, it's magnitudes better.
BA XR8's have the T3650 not a T5 and the SS is the T56 variant. There are a few of them with different ratios. The MK2 XR6T and XR8 have a version of the T56 that is different ratio to the T56 in the SS.

The T3650 is ok. Its pretty sturdy, I've more than put it through its paces. What I find failing is the driveshafts and diff, and even the diff mounts. Broken all of them, not impressed with that bit, but the box seems strong and good.

Last edited by kypez; 05-05-2005 at 07:15 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
YOOT
Banned

My T5 is great, one of the nicest boxes I've had the pleasure of stiring regularly.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

The T5 in my AUII XR6 was a piece of crap. By the time I sold it the car had done 27 000kms and the gearbox had a habit of jumping out of first. The car was bought new and never abused.

The T5 in my XR6T has now done about the same kms as the AUII and doesn't jump out of gear but it feels a lot sloppier than the AU did. I do drive the T harder and of course there is a lot more power and torque being put to the box. The main problem now is the backlash transmitted through the driveline.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post