Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default stone chips POLARIS STONEGAURD.

has anyone got this polaris stonegaurd on the front of their cars. its a plastic sticky film that bonds to your paint work and is supposedly almost undetectable it can be peeled off at any time. i'm interested in hearing any remarks on this film if any one has it on thier car asdpecially a dark colour. apparantely it is computer templete cut to fit your front end. it is a good idea and very hardy but how does it look? cheers any comments or replies welcome thanks in advance.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Pretty sure there was a thread about this in the FPV forum not long ago, i remember seeing it and linking to their website.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Some of the clear contact like materials that are used for this do the same amount of damage in a different way.

After time they look shocking eg think of clear contact rubbed across concrete sort of, they start to yellow. And I'd say 9 out of 10 of them we have taken off at work even with the heat gun have damaged the paint also.
Having said that i'm sure others have had no trouble.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
Some of the clear contact like materials that are used for this do the same amount of damage in a different way.

After time they look shocking eg think of clear contact rubbed across concrete sort of, they start to yellow. And I'd say 9 out of 10 of them we have taken off at work even with the heat gun have damaged the paint also.
Having said that i'm sure others have had no trouble.
thanks for your reply was waiting to hear something like that. i suppose black would be prone to more damage to paint as it gets so hot . back to square one either the plastic bonnet protector shield or leave it alltogether and consider paint touchups and resprays every few years.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
zoomzoom

hi guys i have seen this shit on cars and i wouldnt put it on my go kart.
after a while it looks takky and cheap
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Just budget for a front end re-spray in 2 - 3 years. Quite simply unless you leave it in the shed black is going to show a heap of chips etc anyways

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, black is a shocking colour to try and protect.

You could be cheeky and use a black artline pen for some less noticeable chips. Most of the chips on mine would be less than 1mm circumference, and as my car is pretty much pure black, I dont really notice them once you darken the undercoat.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Yeah, black is a shocking colour to try and protect.

You could be cheeky and use a black artline pen for some less noticeable chips. Most of the chips on mine would be less than 1mm circumference, and as my car is pretty much pure black, I dont really notice them once you darken the undercoat.
funny you mention this cause this is what i have been doing and i can't notice either . it comes up better than touch up paint.