Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Default Help with moving EB & Separate engine.

We've almost finished moving house, only thing left to move is the EB and the engine that will eventually be going into it.

We can get the car towed to the new house without a problem for $50, however the engine could be a problem. We don't know anyone with a ute, or a crane to pick the engine up to put on the back of a ute to transport it the 2 or so kms to the new house.

Has anyone got any ideas or know anyone who could help us out?

For those who don't know, we're in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, and right now after hiring a 4 tonne truck and paying the bond and rent in advance, plus all the other usual bills that go with moving house, we are not in a great position at the moment financially, so any help or ideas for saving a few $ while doing this would be extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
SWOOP
XRSVO

pick the eng up with your bare hands and a mate ,they arent that heavy
a towie and I picked my old ed 6 up and chucked it on the back of the truck easy.
It should fit both car and motor on in one go ,to save dosh
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

if two people can lift/shove a long Clevo a fair distance, it can't be that hard to move an EB I6...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

use the car trailer ur using for the eb, and a burly blokes to lift the engine onto that, then secure it well?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You're moving at the wrong time, other wise I'd throw the engine crane from work onto a trailer and bring it down like I did when I moved my engine. But I'm holidays from next week so I can't borrow the crane.

But as said, 2 or 3 people should get it onto the back of a ute/trailer no worries. No doubt a tyre place will let you have a rooted tyre to put the engine on.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

A mate and i managed to move his motor a fair distance with it suspended by seat belts from a trampoline frame pole. Get creative py:
Old 11-05-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Use some straps and attach them to poles, carry/lift with the poles.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

The guy I use to tow my car uses a 5 tonne tilt tray which is rather high. It doesn't fit down the driveway to where the motor is as the driveway is very narrow. I can barely get the EB down it without the side mirrors either touching the house or fence.

I don't have poles around, in fact because we just moved house there is nothing left except the car and engine. I weigh 58kg and have osteoporosis in my spine, The Maddestman is nearly 70kg so we're not really weight lifters and we're both diabetic. My dad who helped us with moving (lifting etc.) had a heart attack last year and is nowhere near as fit as he used to be.

The big burly blokes across the road are part of the reason that we moved in the first place!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manouvre it onto a skateboard and roll it onto the flatbed truck. Roll the engine onto an old piece of carpet and pull the carpet to get it where the truck can reach it.

Im sure some of the locals on here dont mind coming around and lending a hand to lift it for you.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Manouvre it onto a skateboard and roll it onto the flatbed truck. Roll the engine onto an old piece of carpet and pull the carpet to get it where the truck can reach it.

Im sure some of the locals on here dont mind coming around and lending a hand to lift it for you.
Sounds to me like a good suggestion, thanks mate.

Anybody over this side of Melbourne willing to come and help us lift the engine?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post