Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #31
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The decline of fossil fuels - and how that effects car enthusiasts

The stupid thing is that modern combustion engines are only approx 30% efficient.
So that leaves 70% for improvement which would happen gradually over time.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #32
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
If this mob here on AFF think I'm mad, then they will think you are madder!........
Yeah, but when I said "I think about..." it was pretty much triggered by the content in this thread - and I promptly forgot what I wrote in my post (and slept like a baby) before re-reading it just now.

(Much like I quickly forgot what the BF guys are doing in the FG thread.)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #33
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The stupid thing is that modern combustion engines are only approx 30% efficient.

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Toyota hit 40% with a 2.0 litre back in 2018, pretty sure another hit 44-45% recently.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #35
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The current f1 engines are the most efficient at something like 52% and by 2026 they will be moving to efuel.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 08:39 AM   #36
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

While we don't like it, it's happening at such a rapid pace.

Like i'd read earlier, ICE engines have had over 100yrs of tech thrown at them - EV's have had (lets say) 20yrs, and realisticly - it's the battery packs which is where the dev is going.

Merc have just showcased their 1000km+ battery.
New li/S battery dev have shown a 5time increase in energy density hitting their magic targets.

Toyota have proved their H2 cell to drive over 1000kms with 5-10mins fill time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONICQ9Xcaug
Trucks/Bus/Train are where i see alot of H2 cell vehicles

I think we'll all miss the theatre of ICE. The sound, the shake of the vehicle, the knowing your driving something alive.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
While we don't like it, it's happening at such a rapid pace.

Like i'd read earlier, ICE engines have had over 100yrs of tech thrown at them - EV's have had (lets say) 20yrs, and realisticly - it's the battery packs which is where the dev is going.
20 years is a bit of a stretch, Electric cars have been around since before the 1900's
Old 24-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
20 years is a bit of a stretch, Electric cars have been around since before the 1900's
Correct, I'm pretty sure they predate internal combustion engines.

Trams on wheels
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post

I'll take a Mustang EV anyday over the Hydrogen Beemer!
sure the mustang EV will see the 7 series off at the lights. But..

lets look at something more real world (and they do this stuff on Topgear etc). if there were a race between Victoria & NSW at legal speed limits. who would get there sooner, and lets assume there were adequate filling stations locations for both.

from what I could find(correct me if im wrong guys)
Mustang EV range 370km
V12 hydrogen 7 series range 480km

The beemer can do it in one stop, and im going to assume the fill up time is a lot quicker.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Toyota hit 40% with a 2.0 litre back in 2018, pretty sure another hit 44-45% recently.
and remembering nothing can ever be 100% efficient, there is always a loss with any energy transfer
Old 24-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
sure the mustang EV will see the 7 series off at the lights. But..

lets look at something more real world (and they do this stuff on Topgear etc). if there were a race between Victoria & NSW at legal speed limits. who would get there sooner, and lets assume there were adequate filling stations locations for both.

from what I could find(correct me if im wrong guys)
Mustang EV range 370km
V12 hydrogen 7 series range 480km

The beemer can do it in one stop, and im going to assume the fill up time is a lot quicker.
Keeping in mind Hydrogen 7 series of 2007 vintage does 50L/100km on hydrogen.

Quote:
The Hydrogen 7 was based on the 760Li model and featured two tanks: one for hydrogen and one for gasoline. The 6-liter V12 engine under the hood was modified so that it could use both fuels. Unfortunately, the efficiency the car had on hydrogen was extremely low, returning about 5.6 mpg (50 l/100km) on average, mostly due to the difference in energy density between petrol and hydrogen. Even so, the green character of the car was evident as CO2 emissions were eliminated completely.
Old 24-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #42
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Electrically powered locomotives certainly predate their ICE powered counterparts.

As far as automobiles go, Gustave Pierre Trouvé created the first electric automobile with his tricycle in 1881. Five years before Karl Benz manufactured his first Motorwagen, which was the first production automobile.

Interesting to note that both were three-wheeled designs.

It should also be noted that the British were experimenting with steam-powered, self-propelled vehicles from the early 19th century. This experimentation became rather extensive in the 1860's and by the end of that decade, the basic form of the steam traction engine had been developed. Steam traction engines were the first widespread, viable automobiles however, steam-powered horseless carriages were also constructed in the 1860's - predating their electric/ICE powered counterparts by decades...

An example of an early steam traction engine, an 1870 Cooper traction engine:

Sylvester Roper drove around Boston in a steam car he had invented in 1863, commonly referred to as the Roper steam carriage model of 1870:

It could be argued that ICE-powered cars were the last of the bunch to be developed. Rudolf Diesel didn't even start working on his theories until the early 1890s and the first fully-functional diesel engine wasn't built until 1896.

Steam powered vehicles led the way.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ford model T killed the electric car through competition - it was 1/3 price of an EV back in 1908 (that bastard Henry Ford )

If you asked the average American what the future of cars was in 1900 they'd probably have told you it was going to be EV.

Mind you sealed lead acid batteries have been around since 1859, and we haven't come a long way with battery technology in the last bazillion years - so why are we all of a sudden going to jump exponentially in 5 years?

Or is it empty promises poindexters from the technology world the ones making all these promises they don't have to keep?

Can't even make a phone that lasts longer than a days worth of use with current lithium ion technology, so I doubt the bigger variant in cars is going to exponentially change in the next 5 years.

Then when you talk about hydrogen cars, the stupidity of using electricity to convert water to hydrogen, storing and transporting it, then putting it into a car which turns it back into electricity isn't exactly real efficient compared to just getting the power from your wall and charging the battery in your EV.

The only advantage I see there is storing hydrogen is a lot lighter than batteries of current technology - might work for commercial vehicles where weight and distance are cruical

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-01-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 24-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #44
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Ford model T killed the electric car through competition - it was 1/3 price of an EV back in 1908 (that bastard Henry Ford )

If you asked the average American what the future of cars was in 1900 they'd probably have told you it was going to be EV.

Mind you sealed lead acid batteries have been around since 1859, and we haven't come a long way with battery technology in the last bazillion years - so why are we all of a sudden going to jump exponentially in 5 years?

Or is it empty promises poindexters from the technology world the ones making all these promises they don't have to keep?

Can't even make a phone that lasts longer than a days worth of use with current lithium ion technology, so I doubt the bigger variant in cars is going to exponentially change in the next 5 years.

Then when you talk about hydrogen cars, the stupidity of using electricity to convert water to hydrogen, storing and transporting it, then putting it into a car which turns it back into electricity isn't exactly real efficient compared to just getting the power from your wall and charging the battery in your EV.

The only advantage I see there is storing hydrogen is a lot lighter than batteries of current technology - might work for commercial vehicles where weight and distance are cruical
Maybe back then EV meant something else?
Maybe EQUINE VARIANT.........

Last edited by slowsnake; 24-01-2022 at 12:52 PM.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #45
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Any idea what the life cycle/recharge life is on these lithium super batteries, I mean it alright going electric, but no battery life cycle stats are ever mentioned here in the thread, just capacity mainly!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Any idea what the life cycle/recharge life is on these lithium super batteries, I mean it alright going electric, but no battery life cycle stats are ever mentioned here in the thread, just capacity mainly!
I doubt it's very good, the same **** in phones, 12 months later you need to charge it earlier and earlier because it flogs out with moderate use.

That's why I buy cheapie phones and replace them every 18 months or so, the batteries don't hold up. Doesn't matter if it's a flagship or sub $300 crapola.

Be interesting to see a 5-10 year lifespan of a battery in EVs and how much range they lose.

Put 230,000km on my Focus and it did 5.7L/100km when it was new and 230,000km later it still does 5.7L/100km 11 years later doing the same commute.
Old 24-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #47
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

You can guess, you get about 500 charges before you start to notice the battery going (a year and a half with a daily used/charged phone)... But with cars, you get around 500k out of a charge.

So 500x500 = 250,000ks, before you start to really notice it dying.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #48
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Garrett was working on a bolt on E turbo. Apparently they were aiming to make it available to the public in 2021. Not sure if Covid has delayed the launch. Anyone know what happened with that?

So what if we could make e turbos work? Could that extend the life of fossil fuel cars? Smaller, more efficient, engines, but e turbos to get the power and torque needed.

I guess the challenge comes back to charge and battery, like EVs.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Garrett was working on a bolt on E turbo. Apparently they were aiming to make it available to the public in 2021. Not sure if Covid has delayed the launch. Anyone know what happened with that?

So what if we could make e turbos work? Could that extend the life of fossil fuel cars? Smaller, more efficient, engines, but e turbos to get the power and torque needed.

I guess the challenge comes back to charge and battery, like EVs.

Without watching the video one assumes would need 48V electrical system as per 'mild hybrids' because of the amount of current that would take.

Its not something you would see on cars with 12V electrical systems.
Old 24-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #50
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without watching the video one assumes would need 48V electrical system as per 'mild hybrids' because of the amount of current that would take.

Its not something you would see on cars with 12V electrical systems.
You've just destroyed my 3v e turbo dream in 2 sentences.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #51
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Maybe they should start making a nuclear powered Camry. 500,000kms before you need to refuel - just make sure you don't get into an accident and it'll be fine.
Old 24-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You've just destroyed my 3v e turbo dream in 2 sentences.
Borg Warner have a 12V e-turbo... https://www.borgwarner.com/technolog...g-technologies
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #53
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
According to an article I just read on wired.com, the Borg Warner e-booster:

"It's driven by electricity, so it spins up to 70,000 rpm in just three-tenths of a second, providing a boost until the turbocharger gets up to speed. BorgWarner says the cantaloupe-sized device, combined with a standard turbocharger, improves torque by 85 percent at 1,500 rpm, and by 55 percent at 2,000 rpm."

That's quite impressive.
Old 24-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
No electrical specifications or anything of substance either - looks like it has to be used in conjunction with typical turbo as well.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-01-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 24-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Keeping in mind Hydrogen 7 series of 2007 vintage does 50L/100km on hydrogen.
must have a big tank then.. perhaps thats why it was done on the 7 series
Old 24-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #56
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

According to their product specification sheet regarding the eTurbo by BW, it's available in 48-450 VDC versions. I imagine these would be very useful in the transport/logistics industry.
Old 24-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #57
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's why I buy cheapie phones and replace them every 18 months or so, the batteries don't hold up. Doesn't matter if it's a flagship or sub $300 crapola.
Not always the case. My iPhone6 just had its 6 birthday.

Purchased it new a few months after their release. It gets used for business. I charge it every 2nd night (used to be every 3rd !!).

I'll probably replace it in the next 12 months.

Dr Terry

BTW I get your point re EV car batteries, it will become a major thing when doing 2nd hand vehicle valuations.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
must have a big tank then.. perhaps thats why it was done on the 7 series
Note that you buy hydrogen on weight rather than volume like unleaded from the servo - its also stored in the tank at circa 5000-10,000 PSI.

Someone who knows science crap and numbers, whats 20kg of hydrogen in liters?

Here's another interesting comparison,

Compare energy density of hydrogen by weight compared to unleaded, then compare it by volume, the former keeps being used as a marketing point but its telling half a story.

Hydrogen is also very light in comparison to unleaded.

Can't remember buying 38.25KG of diesel, but I've bought 45L plenty of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
According to their product specification sheet regarding the eTurbo by BW, it's available in 48-450 VDC versions. I imagine these would be very useful in the transport/logistics industry.
450V DC makes sense because the current draw massively drops, even with 48V DC it would too.

12V DC - there's probably a reason it needs assistance from a regular turbo to be in the system and this extra thing just helps along rather than runs the whole show.

I'm not calling bull**** on the product itself - I reckon its a fantastic idea, anything where you can **** off mechanical controlled variations for electrical is better as you get much more precise control over something, but I'm suspect of a practical implementation, knowing one of the limitations on a 12V DC system is going to be current draw if you tried to replicate an electrical variation of a turbo.

Imagine how much air a GT3576 on an FG XR6T moves and the forces involved in doing it, now replicate that with an electric motor driving the compressor instead of exhaust gasses moving the turbine.

Then do the same exercise on a 15L Cummins engine.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-01-2022 at 05:18 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Comparing Ford Escape hybrid batteries 2005 versus 2020
The 2005 was located in the rear tyre well where the 2020 battery is located under the front passenger seat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6xAHINU...jpg&name=large
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2022, 05:50 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Comparing Ford Escape hybrid batteries 2005 versus 2020

Further context around it - is the Gen 1 NiCD or NiMH and the current generation LiIon?

What are their capacities?