Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
HBWC

Default mb vs mc

hi
i'm in the middle of looking for a new daily so i can take the big falcon off the road for some much needed love (pesky boss timing chain issues)
and all but decided on a mc diesel mondeo wagon after hours of research on hear (all of them in the west seem to be lx tho)
but a local dealer has just got in a mb ztec
so what i cant find out what is the difference between a mb and a mc as they look almost the same to be except age.

thanks jono
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
69 f100 ambo future skid pig
HBWC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: mb vs mc

The main difference is in safety equipment (but only in Titanium); introduction of the active grille shutter to aid economy; revised (economy focused) software for the ECU; smart charging system; improved interior materials; introduction of ambient interior lighting; sliding centre console and introduction of the 2L Ecoboost engine.

The brochures for both are in our gallery.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
HBWC

I think I've mumbled on to much I know the difference between ztec and ls thanks to this forum
I'm wondering the difference between a desiel mb and a desiel mc
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

MC has the 2.2L TDCI whilst the MB had the 2L. The MB had the typical slushbox auto but it also had changed nearing the end of the production run to the DCT. The MC only had the DCT for it's trans.

Obviously the MC had a facelift and the 2.2L DW12 euro5 emissions engine which had more power ~128kW against the MB's 2L DW10 100kW or 103kW euro4 emission brethren.

I love the MB with slushbox but I reckon I could have easily overcome my concerns with the MC DCT to which I still feel anecdotally there may be concern with the MY10/12 and the trans input shaft speed sensor.

A neighbour near my folks place (well known friend) whom also has an MC has commented that my MB is much quieter than his, standing next to it in teh garage with the bonnet up and upper&lower engine cover off running, which were interesting. He doesn't go much on the DCT but it's not like he hates it either. It's not played up on him which is good, I like the MC look better than the MB but it's served me well and sourcing parts has made the cost of ownership quite cheap (imo).

If I were looking for another Mondeo in MB/MC guise I reckon I'd go the MC Titanium spec.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Obviously the MC had a facelift and the 2.2L DW12 euro5 emissions engine which had more power ~128kW against the MB's 2L DW10 100kW or 103kW euro4 emission brethren.
I think you're mistaken, MC did receive a later revision of the turbo-diesel engine making more power over the unit in MB but the displacement remained the same, 2.0L. 2.2L was an option available only in European markets.

http://australiancar.reviews/...Mondeo

Aside from that what Cobrin says is correct, the main difference is a visual facelift and the switch to Powershift dual-clutch transmission from conventional automatic (think it was called Sportshift?). The DCT is a great transmission when it's working properly and a worthy update, but also more expensive to service, and very more expensive if it ever needs repairs. The main issue that seems to occur in Mondeo is a bad sensor that causes intermittent balking and poor shift decisions. If you're considering a DCT-equipped vehicle, I'd suggest you ensure you have a statutory warranty or get some kind of mechanical inspection and warranty with your purchase, as we've seen a few cars turned over for resale that transpire to have pre-existing gearbox faults.

You'll find other features like infotainment (Sony audio), HMI (Convers+ dashboard) and safety tech in the MB Zetec (and Titanium) are pretty similar to the MC Zetec/Titanium with some updates. Apart from driveline, the differences are all pretty incremental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 06-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Ah shoot you're right, that'll teach me for looking up the PSA/DW engine on wikipedia. The DCT is know as Powershift, easier known as the poorly/incorrect moniker 'Powersh*t' transmission because of the Focus which is a dry clutch, not the wet clutch of the Mondeo.

Cheers for the correction Mondaveo.

Last edited by cobrin; 06-12-2017 at 06:04 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Ah shoot you're right, that'll teach me for looking up the PSA/DW engine on wikipedia. The DCT is know as Powershift, easier known as the poorly/incorrect moniker 'Powersh*t' transmission because of the Focus which is a dry clutch, not the wet clutch of the Mondeo.

Cheers for the correction Mondaveo.
The gearbox is the main difference for the diesel. The MC engine has slightly better power, economy and refinement, but definitely not a significant upgrade.

I have a MB with the 6-speed auto. Perfectly good gearbox, especially in manual mode which stops all of the downshift nonsense on hills.

I don't think the problems with the Powershift are that common, but repairs can be very expensive.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
HBWC

well the zetec is gone dealer said it sold withing 12 hours of posting
so a mc lx it is.
i would love a ztec or titanium wagon but they seen few are far between in diesel and in my price range

thanks for your help my biggest problem is i cant test drive these things to feel the difference so very reliant on good mates
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to tag onto this thread but it seems relevant - which is more economical, the MB or MC? I'm considering a diesel wagon myself.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

both should be near identical or near enough to say it. The DCT were suppose to lower the fuel consumption over the slushbox so that could be in the lead. Body shape for body shape that is.