Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question wandering mind..

Scared the c#$p out of my self on the way to work today. I was driving along and started adjusting the Aircon vents in the car. Got them just where I wanted them then F#$K looked up and realised I had travelled 100 meters past a usual turn I make. I hate doing that!!

Does anyone else had that kind of experience/feeling ? All I could think of the rest of the way to work was how lucky I was I didn’t rear end some poor sod going to work.

Uncle_Ken

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Thornie
Off smelting

Bit like driving somewhere and not remembering the past 5mins of your trip.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite often I'll drive through a set of traffic lights then a few seconds later think "They were green - right?". I'm pretty sure they were
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Quite often I'll drive through a set of traffic lights then a few seconds later think "They were green - right?". I'm pretty sure they were

I do that too. Gets ya thinking for the next five minutes replaying it over and over in your head. Good example is when the arrow is a certain colour and the main light is the other.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Yeah, done that a few times myself, and it makes your heart stop if you look in the rear view mirror and see that cars travelling in the same direction as you have stopped at the lights. And then you realise the lights have just changed, because you see the traffic starting to cross the intersection from the other directions.

One I can remember clearly leaving me feeling stoopid was when after a long day I was driving home and didn't start to hit the anchors in time to turn into my driveway, and so sailed past my house at about 40km/h, requiring me to drive around the block (because I live on a divided main road, so I couldn't just put it in reverse and go back, or turn around).
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah thats the feeling. I don't do it often but when I do it drives me nuts.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
BlackLS

Yeah I get this as well, especially when Im just cruising along a slow, speed limited, boring road. I find the more challenging or faster a road is, the less this will happen to you.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

I've done it going to a couple of places when my mind is a bit scattered. Mainly heading in the wrong direction before I think about where I'm actually going and have to turn around!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
Leah
www.madel.com.au

I do it some times too. Scary when I get home from work which is a 40 minute drive through the windy roads and mountains, and dont really remember much of it.

Gotta hate the driving through traffic lights scenario though! It leaves u thinking for ages!
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I have actually driven into my neighbors driveway(2 houses up and nothing like my driveway)and statrted to get out of the car before realising my mistake,i dont think anyone noticed...
Old 12-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
Steve D
Irregular Member

My pet one is heading for destination B, when I should be going to destination A (because I do mostly head in the direction of B, or started thinking of B en-route).
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

There's nothing worse than heading somewhere and making a turn you aren't supposed to purely because every other day you've gotten used to turning there and it just becomes a force of habit. I do that all the time. I spend so much time heading to the same few places that when I finally go to drive somewhere else, I head in the direction I'm used to heading in, rather than the one I'm supposed to be heading in.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post