Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Ban Cars Near Schools

Interesting idea and some persuasive arguments for doing so; could it happen here too? https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47520848
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Ban Cars Near Schools

Of course if it happens in the UK or anywhere the idea will spread quickly as Governments agencies will be concerned about their liability and risk of civil damages action if they don't follow suit knowing the risks to children.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Rediculous! Maybe ban building schools near roads?
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Magee

When I was growing up in a country primary school in the 70's most kids came to school on a bus. When going home we waited under a large shelter in lines for your bus route. Depending on which bus came in first you could have had 10 buses, come and go and spew out the diesel fumes. Being a rev head, even back then, I didnt mind the smell but now I always make sure windows are up and A/C set on recirc if see a diesel blowing black smoke.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Won’t happen here because we’re too stupid. In Melbourne’s West all new suburbs are popping up, and instead of designing them so cars aren’t essential to get around, you can’t live there without one. So our suburbs will be choked with cars for generations to come.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

By the time they get around banning cars we will have electric......
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just ban kids, with less kids being born the population will drop and the need for schools with drop too & roads will become less congested

problem solved!
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I see that today the BBC changed the headline from "Ban car near schools, health chief urges" to the much more reasonable: "Schools should have 'no idling zones', Public Health England chief says".
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
just ban kids, with less kids being born the population will drop and the need for schools with drop too & roads will become less congested

problem solved!
But less population= less taxes = less money for pollies wages and perks

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

[QUOTE=asagaai;6268731]But less population= less taxes = less money for pollies wages and perks = less pollies = less public servants = less police = more fun!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Studz xr8
Studzy

Quote:

problem solved!
Excellent idea,
Should have been done long time ago

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Old 14-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Why are parents allowing their kids to become so stupid?

We all have the same story "When I was at school, cars drove at full speed, no child war hurt or killed"

So what happened? One thing is for sure, cars didn't become more dangerous, quite the opposite in fact! Which only leaves one other side of the issue.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What about the number of car park dingles near shopping centres? Surely it makes a good case for banning cars near shops?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
marty351

Children these days have been mollycoddled by their parents so much to the point that their sense of danger has been all but been eliminated.

A good example of this was when I was watching a group of kids, about 12-13 years old, riding their bikes and doing 'stunts' in a shopping centre carpark, blissfully unaware that cars were creeping around looking for a park with cars reversing out, not paying much attention to them (kids), and when they did see a car, just riding around it expecting the car to stop when the driver is completely unaware of of the kid being there.

My generation were taught to look out for cars at all times, in all places, and it was backed up by a tv advertising campaign. I could go on...
Old 14-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least those kids are outside on bikes!
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

We all have the same story "When I was at school, cars drove at full speed, no child war hurt or killed"

So what happened? One thing is for sure, cars didn't become more dangerous, quite the opposite in fact! Which only leaves one other side of the issue.
I actually had this conversation with my father the other day. I claimed I didn’t feel safe letting my 10 and 8 year olds walk to school alone (they don’t by the way) and he mentioned how it was fine for him as a child at those ages.

Difference was, he walked to school in the 60’s. And with almost 20m registered cars today, and the registered cars in Australia soon to exceed 1 car for every man woman and child in the very near future, I’d say the roads are a much busier place today.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

I'd agree with this point to a degree... As a father with 2 kids at school (kindy and primary) I think parents have become stupid too! If you do the school run, more often them not parents are actually sitting in their cars across the road (sometimes a main road) waiting for their kids to go out of the front gate, cross said road and get in!

Magee has a great observation, in the past, kids rode buses walked, rode bikes and even horses (I know I rode a horse to and from school in the 90s), and parents were actively there to pick up kids, walk with them, give strict boundaries as to where they were allowed to go (often with significant consequences of they got out of line), be there when the kids got home. Now days it's appalling how many kids go to school without an adult, get home to an empty house and simply go whenever and wherever they want cause their parents are both working, out at a social event, shopping or high on some kind of drug.

We all jump up and down demanding our freedom to choose, our freedom to our right (whatever suits us at the time) and/or are indifferent to anyone else. But we forget that our right to choose often goes too far and effects others, in this instance our kids. They are treated like an optional extra now days even to the point where they can be left at home with a stocked pantry for a few days when we fly overseas for a holiday (remember reading that story a few years back).

Regarding the article, the whole idling zone is exactly my point. Cars only sit idling if the parents/caregivers are not prepared to get out of their AC cars! Sure there's not enough parking out front, but how many parents are willing to walk 200-500m to park away from the front gate and walk to meet the kids? It's too inconvenient for us.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

As a bus driver who brings students to school and returns to take them home afterwards, I think its a great idea, however, not because of pollution issues, but because the idiots you see everyday buzzing around the school zones is eye opening and trying to negotiate through the madness in a bus is certainly a challenge on occasion.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It makes no sense. Most of the long term health effects must surely be due to trucks/etc? Passenger cars, especially recent models, are subject to emissions regulations far more stringent than the trucks you see getting about. And as the private car fleet moves toward PHEV/EVs.....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #20
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
At least those kids are outside on bikes!
I willl go on...

Not more than 300m away is a skate/bike park.
Old 14-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #21
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Re: Ban Cars Near Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
It makes no sense. Most of the long term health effects must surely be due to trucks/etc? Passenger cars, especially recent models, are subject to emissions regulations far more stringent than the trucks you see getting about. And as the private car fleet moves toward PHEV/EVs.....
The article is referring to the UK. Where diesel cars are far more prolific due to a poor decision by previous government.in particular London is cracking down on all pollution created by by transport. I sat in numerous panels looking into the effect the changes may have on the construction industry in London. And despite the cost most were in favour as all Londoners know soot nose! The pollution blown onto a tissue after time outside. As children's lungs are still developing the impact of diesel pollution is exacerbated, and as too many parents have a bad habit of idling outside schools waiting it becomes a big problem. Literally kill the kids with kindness!.
We left London as my daughter begun to show signs of the pollution impact, despite being 20kms from the centre in what was known as a clean area. We recorded 50 parts on an average day, central London was 2-300. We have settled in Adelaide where isolated readings suggest only 11 parts. Her cough has gone and is not showing any adverse effect so far.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If I had to walk to school I'd have never turned up

With high school it was circa 25km away from home and I used to take the school bus like a peasant.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
problem solved!
Yeah agree, go further and ban schools as well.
Most kids are feral these days and don't bother showing up anyway. Less infrastructure needed, no need for all the subsidised school buses, (sorry BENT_8) who knows we might be able to run those freed up buses to do regular paying runs.

On a side note.....similar..... I read in the latest owner driver magazine, They now have a 24 /7 truck ban on Beach Rd in Melbourne.
Ban extents to non service buses and cars towing caravans.
Only trucks delivering directly can use it now. The transport industry are saying most heavy vehicles don't use it anyway but those suburbs will have to be prepared to pay more for services.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #24
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If I had to walk to school I'd have never turned up

With high school it was circa 25km away from home and I used to take the school bus like a peasant.

^^^^ Too true, I had 35 k's each way..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #25
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think new schools should not be built facing anything except 50k zones
And all Schools should have provision for on premises school dropoff - Drivers enter by 1 gate and exit by another.

When I was a kid I walked about 1 km in 100k zone, and another 1 km in 60k zone.

I did not die.

I knew someone who almost died - crossed the road in front of the Bus, the passing car did not stand a chance of seeing him. New school rule - only cross the road after the bus has left.

I do have a problem with 40k zones at high schools.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #26
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern day kids have lost the evolutionary ability to look left and right, and to hear external sounds of the environment around them.

They can now only look.... well down, at their phone, and hear bizarre sounds through their headphones of people who do not know how to sing, perform or even play an instrument.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #27
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Modern day kids have lost the evolutionary ability to look left and right, and to hear external sounds of the environment around them.

They can now only look.... well down, at their phone, and hear bizarre sounds through their headphones of people who do not know how to sing, perform or even play an instrument.
Actually what you say does hold some in general value about the general public, in general. So this isnt talking about school kids specifically. My kid goes to school and his school is on a residential street, so no real through traffic and its a 50 zone out of school zone hours. But i work in the city and as a tradesman have to go site to site and the amount of people either glued to their phones or with noise cancelling head phones in or on who just go or step out is kind of worrying at times. I personally use traveling on foot as an excuse not to answer the phone at work. Not for safety reasons, i just dont like talking to people all the time. And also i dont bother reading emails or job cards either when on foot, again my excuse, but it gives me some time off the phone life in general. On site, i prefer a 30 second phone call then to spend a minute replying to an email. Dont hate me, but driving between jobs is when i make my work calls as its dead time anyways, and i prefer to do emails when im at home. And work hate my delayed responsesto emails at times, but if its important call, and if i dont answer, ill call back when im free.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

My gf in high school nearly got ran over because she didn't look before crossing the road. I literally saved her from being hit because we were holding hands and I pulled her back at the last moment.

That was ten years ago and I don't reckon young people have become more observant since then.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #29
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was in school one of the boys got hit by a bus and killed.
A student was run over outside my high school too, but they were on the footpath, and it was a teacher who hated them. Deliberately ran them down.

No idling zones are a good idea, but traffic in general needs to be managed better.
I lived across the road from a school, and there was not the infrastructure to cope with the number of cars coming through. A lot of the students didn't live locally, as the local high school is a selective one, and so people would fake addresses to get their kids into it. This means heaps of cars queued up morning and afternoon. Surrounding streets come to a stand still, because it's almost impossible to get a park in the area during the day, so the queue starts at the drop off point, then you end up with cars blocking all traffic around the corner and down the street.

And of course, they love parking in people's driveways and hurling abuse at you if you want to enter or exit your own driveway.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post

Imagine coming out of jail after 25 years and your first day out on the street everyone has things in their ears, looking down at some rectangle thing - zombie apocalypse has come and gone while you were inside.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post