Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default WTF, people stealing copper cables.

I was watching sunrise, and that guy that does the traffic report said that a boom gate was down somewhere in melb because someone stole a copper cable that goes across the tracks.

Now, the only reason I could think of this happening would be to sell it for scrap to get some cash, but then people are going to know who is stealing it if you do that.

I dont even know what cable they are talking about, but apparently this seems to be a trend.

Thought it was rather strange, someone is either really stupid, or has a genius idea.

Anyone else heard of this, or why someone would do it?

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
HOON69
Banned

you know the funny thing

copper=money and you right it was def to sell it,wouldnt take much to find the culprit all the police would have to do is go to the local scrap yard and ask if anyone bring in a load of copper lately..

i remember a month or two ago i was out 4wd and had to cross over crown land (railway) and long and behold i saw 2 guys taking down the old wire from the old lines
(copper) i did see a ranger in there and it must of spooked them cause they bolted,i went back through a month later to find it was gone,sources told me it was another person who grabbed it that night and was sold for 800 dollars (thats alot fo wire)

so yeah thieving scum do things to make money scrap metal is profitable,i also seen a bloke kerbsiding grabbed scrap metal i asked him why he gets only metal etc,he said "scraps makes money" i asked how much he said in 5 trailer loads in 5 days he made 680 dollars (kerbside material)

so yeah its all about $$$$
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mate of mine is a plumber ... and he has to be careful where he leaves his work vehicle ... and if it standing for a while ... to actually take the copper piping off ... as he has had some go missing from time to time on some jobs.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

This has been happening for a while!.. Copper has increased in value 5 FOLD since 2000!
Now around $8000 a tonne.
From the AGE...
November 23, 2006

SCRAP metal thieves forced the cancellation of some train services yesterday, leaving peak-hour commuters angry.

The thieves removed six metres of copper wiring from overhead lines near the Richmond station, creating rail havoc.

Around 30 services along the Epping and Hurstbridge lines were cancelled, leaving thousands of commuters stranded.

The theft was noticed just after 7.30am, with services returning to normal after 9am.

It was the latest in a spate of copper thefts — fuelled by soaring world prices for the metal — that have disrupted rail services in Melbourne and overseas.

A Connex spokeswoman said more than 500 trains had been delayed after a spate of 20 copper thefts.

"Thieves are really taking their lives into their own hands," she said.

At one stage 350 kilometres of copper wire running between Ballarat and Ararat was stolen but had no effect on train services.

Earlier this month 250,000 rail commuters in Italy suffered delays after copper was stolen from signals and other safety equipment. More than 20 people were arrested and charged over hundreds of rolls of copper wiring found in containers waiting to be smuggled to China.

In Victoria, copper is also being stolen from building sites, housing estates and even schools to fuel the demand.

Scrap copper can be sold for up to $8000 a tonne.

The price of copper has increased dramatically over the past two years, with a construction boom in China creating a huge demand.

The thefts have prompted police to set up a taskforce to tackle the problem.

Detective Senior Sergeant Brian Clarke of the transit squad said five men had been arrested and at least one copper theft ring had been smashed as police investigate thefts in recent months.

"It's not worth what they are doing and they are placing themselves in serious injury or death and we'd like to see it stopped as soon as possible," Senior Sergeant Clarke said.

Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said "I think this is outrageous. It's wrong to call it vandalism, it's down-and-out theft, and it's an attack on the travelling public.

"If anyone has any information … they should go to the police."

Australian Metal Recycling Industry Association secretary Paul Ryan said dealers were working with police to try to stop thefts. "Our industry is trying really hard to stop the trade of stolen metals and we are becoming much more vigilant," Mr Ryan said.

The association sends out notices warning dealers when a large quantity of copper has been stolen. If a shipment fitting the description of stolen copper turns up, the dealers call the police. Mr Ryan said the association also had a code of conduct forbidding members from knowingly buying stolen materials.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

i heard that on building sites, jobs have to be streamlined to 1 day as if things are left unfinished, low lifes cut off as much as they can, leaving another whole job to be redone as it all has to be pulled out and relayed lol
Old 30-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

copper cost a alot, at work we had the sparkies do 9 cable runs to rewire part of the plant. Cable cost alone was $300,000. These were 250m runs of 630mm2 cable (except for the earth).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sparky was telling me the other day that he has some overseas company that buys and scrap cable, offcuts or old stuff they've pulled out when doing rewires.

They give him $800 per trailer load.Stuff they used to throw in the bin, now all gets kept, because they do a lot of work and probably cash in a trailer load every few weeks.

I also met a guy on a snorkelling trip in Phuket who owns a scrap metal yard in brisbane. He was telling me that either him, or a rival yard (memory is a bit vauge) stockpiled copper for the last 6 years because they knew the walue was going to go up, but never realised it would be so much. They had over 500T stockpiled. Better investment than any bank account!!!!!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

supply and demand i suppose, the demand for any metal especially aluminium and copper is unbeleivable! which is also reflected in the price of cable itself... which has also seen a price hike

Last edited by Laminge; 30-03-2007 at 03:40 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

In Perth the police were blocking exits from new suburbs and searching everyone, people had to justify the materials they had in there ute/van. There are people ripping the copper pipe out of the brickwork on nearly completed homes, causing thousands of dollars damage.

I just finished moving a Kiln from an old china factory, as soon as we exposed the copper piping etc, it was gone the next morning WTF?? The thieves are quick!!

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
supply and demand i suppose, the demand for any metal especially aluminium and copper is unbeleivable! which is also reflected in the price of cable itself... which has also seen a price hike

funny enough the price of copper has actually dropped but cable prices are still sky high (they're like the oil companies). So much for a free market.

Last edited by Laminge; 30-03-2007 at 03:41 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Jesk
certified nutter

damn my father used to get pittance from that stuff when he used to be a windmill repairer but now it would be quite a lucrative sideline, we didn't even get $100 for trailerloads before
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We turn out hundreds and hundreds of copper anodes every day. (375kg too heavy to knock off)
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
We turn out hundreds and hundreds of copper anodes every day. (375kg too heavy to knock off)
Surely you can easily fit it in the back of the ute ... no way they can catch you either.
:hihi:
Old 30-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
pecker73
Falcon Addict

This happened last week in Ballarat. 40 Copper Taps stolen from cemetary..

Herald Sun Linky

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Stealing from the dead ... that's not very nice at all.
Old 30-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
This happened last week in Ballarat. 40 Copper Taps stolen from cemetary..

Herald Sun Linky
What a disgrace, see what our society is slowly becoming?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

We sell Copper in fertiliser form. The price has skyrocketed big time, to the extent that people no longer use it!
Only a matter of time before people started to pinch it.
Old 30-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
dan.76
always reading posts

tell me about it , cable that used to cost me 40 bucks is now 109 on special and i use a few rolls being a sparky
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our scape-metal guy has to justify where all his copper comes from, as people were stealing the telstra and railway stuff.

Thank goodness all our copper for work is on big heavy drums.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Surely you can easily fit it in the back of the ute ... no way they can catch you either.
:hihi:
My ute on a mining lease, the fun I could have. :eclipsee_
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as with all the problems of the world, its Chima's fault again. Have you seen how fat the copper tracks are in an electrical switch box?, they are HUGE, 2 or 3 inches THICK. Mudt cost a bomb.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

a sub division job where a mate of mine worked at had 3/4's of a roll stolen over a weekend.
The crew who were laying the cable actually buried it in the sand to stop thieves.
Didn't work...bastards!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Yea being a chippy and doing reno's all copper and aluminium gets seperated and thrown into trailers and bins then the boss scraps it and makes a few quid. He's been doing it for years. But there is a simple rule of thumb it sound most tradies and idiots are forgetting. If you leave it laying around IT GONE NUMB NUTS!
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #24
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

A guy used to pay me and a friend to 'take' it from unused factories when i was in high school. Its definatly nothing new.
Old 30-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh the tons of the stuff I'v dropped out from 11Kv thats no longer required...
We've had it stollen from work in big drums, they always get cought though...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #26
smiley

Actually, at work one of the other electricians had finished roughing in cables at a big job were doing in sunshine and one night, someone came in, ripped all the cables out and nicked off with them. We estimated they made off with about $5,000 worth. This time, we had a security fence put up and had to rough in all the cables again. :(
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #27
old_mate
Smash the Boost

being a sparky we havent had anything knocked off touch wood, but we all pitch in and manage to get 3 cartons worth of scrap to the merchants every month or so. Plus the stuff we actually give back to the boss to scrap lol

i think we get about 2.30 a kilo maybe more?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #28
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

We had 2tonnesof scrap radiators stollen.....NOTHING! :(
Old 31-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's worth money, ********* steal it. Hell they sometimes steal it just because they are ********* :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the scrap copper ends up in China too. Why? Because being non ferous, there is no way to seperate it from other non ferous metals and so it has to be all sorted by hand.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post