Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
240 T

Default LS2 for VZ series II

I have it on good word that...

1: There will be a VZ II Commodore
2: It Will have LS2
3: The Power figure will be 275Kw

One of mates friends, who works at holden, brought home a VZ II Sv8 With LS2 6.0L for christmas, no badges.

Not good news for us and Ford

I was suprised because i was under the understanding that there wasn't going to be a VZ II?

When will this model be released?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

AFAIK only the HSV's were getting LS2. used:
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Holdens previous release schedule is anything to go buy the VZII should be out in August/September.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
RATT

I'd say it's a definate and it would make sense. But how would 260kw VYI Clubsport owners feel?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Pretty shit,

Lets hope Ford joins them and decides to add a little power in the next model!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
Vile Merchant
not of this world

They obviously felt fine with 260kW at the time of purchase or they wouldn't have bought it!
Vile Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I'd say it's a definate and it would make sense. But how would 260kw VYI Clubsport owners feel?
Probably the same as the 5ltr VT HSV owner's. there's no looking back.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I bet the government won't make a big fuss about it like it did with the typhoon
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I'm all for it to be honest. If Holden make more powerful sedans for the money then Ford will have to simply work harder and deliver better. Us as comsumers get a win/win situation.

I reckon an LS2 powered SS would be the fastest non HSV Commodore to date. I think the XR6-T has more of a challenge on it's hands. The XR8 well significant power upgrades will have to be introduced.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 T

One of mates friends, who works at holden, brought home a VZ II Sv8 With LS2 6.0L for christmas, no badges.

I was suprised because i was under the understanding that there wasn't going to be a VZ II?

Interesting did he say anything about the new torana
Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
WASP
Whipple Induced

My bet is the XR8 released late in 05 will have the current 290 engine. That won't mean it will be faster, but it should keep the difference marginal.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Now I know the LS2 is expected to be the be all and end all, but I was lead to believe the engineering behind the Commodore's frame/structure was to be reviessed as it was not strong enough to cope with the extra grunt from these engine's, even my mate who has a mate that work's for Holden in the enginneering department told mw this, the current Commodore's frame is just not strong enough and was pushing the limit's in LS1 guise.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
I bet the government won't make a big fuss about it like it did with the typhoon
The government didn't say boo, I thought it was all Scuby stirring the pot.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Well...I tend to think Holden are getting a tad on the desperate side to be releasing the LS2 in this model ...Holden waste so much money releasing updated more of the same mediocre Cars with awesome engines that they get off the Freighter from USA or engines that are of a global design- when they should be investing in a whole new car...thats the best bit about these cars- the bits that arent made or designed here...im beginning to see that more and more...reminds me of microsoft actually....just how many Beta's can you release after the original design??

Last edited by Bucket; 04-01-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #15
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Sad part is that holden keeps giving there customers what they want and it shows in the sales. Ford wont get close until they either match or start beating holden at there own game.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #16
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Now I know the LS2 is expected to be the be all and end all, but I was lead to believe the engineering behind the Commodore's frame/structure was to be reviessed as it was not strong enough to cope with the extra grunt from these engine's, even my mate who has a mate that work's for Holden in the enginneering department told mw this, the current Commodore's frame is just not strong enough and was pushing the limit's in LS1 guise.

VE is meant to be addressing these issues esp as for when they go all out with the new GTS model.

Longer term I guess its only logical for a detuned ls2 to reach the garden variety models.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #17
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 T

well untill theres pics then whos to say what it really was? did it have 6.0 written in the engine bay anywhere? did it actually say LS2 anywhere? did YOU actually see this car for real? i would say that if a friend of a friend has said its 275KW then its probably crap.
you know what people are like when they're bragging to their friends.
also i would have to querie why Holden has given this car to use over christmas as well since new models are usually kept under raps.
if at the least this car does exist, and they did give it to him, i doubt they would have given out the information on what it has under the hood. the reason why? this is the reason why. if it is true then their secret is now public.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Holden does give out vehicle's such as this, this bloke I was referring to has brought up vehicle's like this and I have seen them before they are released, so I have no doubt that this story could be true.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #19
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
My bet is the XR8 released late in 05 will have the current 290 engine. That won't mean it will be faster, but it should keep the difference marginal.
I'd just about bet my lefty on that one.. Along with a 320 motor for GT..
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #20
BTTB
Free XD

I feel another "Supercar Superscare" story by one of our illustrious motoring journos :(
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #21
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I kinda hope we are over the whole "Supercar Superscare". Its a completely different world out there now.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #22
240 T

Quote:
well untill theres pics then whos to say what it really was? did it have 6.0 written in the engine bay anywhere? did it actually say LS2 anywhere? did YOU actually see this car for real? i would say that if a friend of a friend has said its 275KW then its probably crap. you know what people are like when they're bragging to their friends. also i would have to querie why Holden has given this car to use over christmas as well since new models are usually kept under raps. if at the least this car does exist, and they did give it to him, i doubt they would have given out the information on what it has under the hood. the reason why? this is the reason why. if it is true then their secret is now public.
I understand your doubts, because usually i am the same, No i didn't personally see the car, Holden allowed him the car because it looked exactly the same as a VY I Sv8 and from what i was told tey it did have 6.0L V8 engine covers.

The reason this person was allowed to bring this vehicle home for christmas was because he is very high up in the ranks.

Don't belive me if you don't want to but it is true, im not going to lose sleep over it :
Old 05-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Lets look at the facts. The VE is due next year, supposedly around March which means there is 15 months till its due. Why would Holden need to release a VZ 2 when its close to the end of its run. Holden executives have stated that the VZ is the final update of the current platform, and that the LS2 will be a HSV exclusive, meaning no other Holden will use this motor until the VE is launched. It won't happen for VZ and it doesn't need to.
I'd imagine the VE SS will have a 275kw LS2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #24
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd imagine the VE SS will have a 275kw LS2.
And around 200kg extra kerb weight according to the latest reports going around..
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #25
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM
And around 200kg extra kerb weight according to the latest reports going around..

...which in turn will make things a tad interesting, with both Ford and Holden models being closer to the same weight
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #26
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

i drive a VZ Monaro today LS1 engine had a little help with a twin turbo setup by APS ....its for crazy people, if you want to read more on that its in the APS forums. i would love a TT but on a BA.
Driving this Monaro i found it very light in the front compared to the BA it got worse at higher speed....looking at the front vents in the bonnet they do bugger all...very tight inside the car... i am a big fella, i wasnt getting in the back...the back seat is for kids or midgets..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #27
Philbie
Drvtme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Sad part is that holden keeps giving there customers what they want and it shows in the sales. Ford wont get close until they either match or start beating holden at there own game.
the typhoon and tornado are proof of Ford moving ahead, and thats just the starting point...FPV will progress, but like all businesses, need the backing and finance to move ahead - time will tell.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

What's the Tornado?
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #29
MAD
Petro-sexual

Tornado is the FPV turbo ute
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #30
Steffo
LPG > You

If the VE gains 200kg over VZ and gets a 275kW GenIV LS2 V8, the 260kW XR8 suddenly becomes a whole lot more competitive. I assume that Ford would have the testicular fortitude to at least make a 270kW XR8 by that time, so SS and XR8 would be quite even.

The real problems would start if VE didn't gain any weight....
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post