Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Four dead at Dreamworld.

Four adults died today in a horror mishap at Dreamworld. Say a prayer for the familys of the deceased. Like airline crashes & terrorism, it seems these things are always 'only a matter of time' untill they reach our back door. God bless those involved. A reminder to everybody to take care & make sure maintenance is ALWAYS done to machinery with moving parts, that is dangerous or can impact on human life.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Four dead at Dreamworld.

Too many incidents at Australian Theme Parks the past 24 months.

RIP to the innocents who died today
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 25-10-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Let's not speculate on things we don't know.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Just heard it on the news - caught in the conveyor belt. Nasty stuff.

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 25-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Too many incidents at Australian Theme Parks the past 24 months.

RIP to the innocents who died today
Wasn't aware there were others. Nothing too serious I hope. You think safety would be over the top at these places seeing reputation is so important.Very very sad.
Old 25-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Just heard it on the news - caught in the conveyor belt. Nasty stuff.
Injuries of 2 described as "Incompatible with life" (thinking severed parts here), 2 others drowned. Would have been horrific for workers, witnesses, rescue personnel, etc....RIP to the deceased.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I amazes me, I visited Luna Park in Sydney and you get charged a kings ransom for entry and the place is dilapidated, refurbished 10ish years ago and it looks looks like not a dollar has gone back into it since then.

Reports are Dreamworld is the same.....so not surprised...

Given the attendees these places should be 200% tip top, someone is not doing their job..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Injuries of 2 described as "Incompatible with life" (thinking severed parts here), 2 others drowned. Would have been horrific for workers, witnesses, rescue personnel, etc....RIP to the deceased.
It's another way of saying fatal injuries.

"Two males and two females, they were assessed by Queensland ambulance personnel and had all sustained injuries that were incompatible with living."

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I amazes me, I visited Luna Park in Sydney and you get charged a kings ransom for entry and the place is dilapidated, refurbished 10ish years ago and it looks looks like not a dollar has gone back into it since then.

Given the attendees these places should be 200% tip top, someone is not doing their job..
That's the thing, compare it with Disneyland and Disney World and those places are , pardon the pun, Mickey Mouse. 100% perfect but they also had 55,000,000 visitors across the 4 main parks at Disney World. Compare that with Dreamworlds who had, from what I can find, 1.8 million. Can't expect to have anywhere near the same experience between the two.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:

i've been to dreamworld quite a few times over the last few years and never had an issue with the state of the place.

reading comments online from others, there is always an element that can't wait to stick the boots in when something like this happens.

its extremely tragic, and there will be a lot of people affected, both personally and from witnessing it. reading through the released statements, it doesn't bear thinking about what happened to those poor people.

as a kid, you run around these parks without a care in the world never thinking about the 'what ifs'. as an adult, with my own kids, i still have fun (buzzsaw, claw, wipeout etc all pretty cool) but i do think more about the engineering side and what would happen if something went wrong. this latest incident would have me seriously questioning going back there.

thing is, its almost the tamest ride in the place, so just shows you can never be too careful or too blaze.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i've been to dreamworld quite a few times over the last few years and never had an issue with the state of the place.

reading comments online from others, there is always an element that can't wait to stick the boots in when something like this happens.

its extremely tragic, and there will be a lot of people affected, both personally and from witnessing it. reading through the released statements, it doesn't bear thinking about what happened to those poor people.

as a kid, you run around these parks without a care in the world never thinking about the 'what ifs'. as an adult, with my own kids, i still have fun (buzzsaw, claw, wipeout etc all pretty cool) but i do think more about the engineering side and what would happen if something went wrong. this latest incident would have me seriously questioning going back there.

thing is, its almost the tamest ride in the place, so just shows you can never be too careful or too blaze.
Spot on mate let the experts find the problem . guessing doesn't help the poor buggers that died and their families. its a safe ride when yer times up its up
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Courier Mail has a 3 stage diagram of what unfolded and its tragic that everyone is having a negative input and the media are in their usual beat up mode. As someone who lives in Brisbane and drove past Dreamworld on Monday this one really hits close to home. Just about everyone has been to DW and has ridden that ride. Family of ours were only their with 3 kids weeks ago. With a 1yr old as well just highlights how precious life and family is. Very very sad for those involved.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

That ride is my all time favourite since I was a teenager. I don't like roller coasters for a number of reasons, but the Rapids ride was in the middle. Not too subdued (due to obviously the rapids) not to short in its duration, and not mind numbingly boring like some of the rides out there.

I think I wondered once with my inquisitive mind what would be the outcome of an accident very much like this. Unfortunately I have my answer.

As said above I would be hesitant to go back there and to that ride. It's only natural.

A sad sad day. :(
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

There is talks DW may not re-open. I think it will, but it will hurt sales due to the reputation. People do not forget fast. This could be the undoing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, like many other things that have happened when people get killed, it is only then that things are done to remedy the problem. Safety and maintenance too often get overlooked all because of the elusive dollar and shareholder profits. Our Theme Parks don't have a good track record where maintenance and accidents are concerned. My wife had, not long ago, been on the same ride. I had flown in the same Tiger Moth that recently plummeted into the water killing both the pilot and passenger. Makes you think how delicate life can be and although I'm not religious at all, if your time is up, it's up!

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
There is talks DW may not re-open. I think it will, but it will hurt sales due to the reputation. People do not forget fast. This could be the undoing.
Not to mention the lawyers (vultures) that will be circling this mess. I would be astounded if the families of the deceased chose not to sue the pants off the owners/operators of Dreamworld. This will cost them big.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #16
Sancho

Absolutely horrible freak accident... Must be the worst feeling on a day that's mean to be happy and enjoyed by everyone around end up in this way.
(pretty much every news website top stories are filled with this story :(
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
xr8cam

Odds on the QLD Gov't will be looking at some sort of inquiry. Safe bet some poor buggers going to cop it when its usually orders from the top that prevent proper measures been carried out. Still, cold comfort for those affected. Thoughts are with all of them.God bless.
Old 26-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

How would you feel being the operator? regardless of whether it was in eye shot, and if it was, surely the stop button is in reach, you would be wrecked. I have been at work when someone has died, totally unrelated to what I was doing, same trade, but a different work area, supply, substation supply even, and it messed with my head pretty bad. 4 people, even without being aquainted, would put unimaginable emotional stress on the poor person who was operating the ride that suffered a mechanical failure that was out of their hands
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #19
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dreamworld will reopen on Friday for a memorial day to honour those killed in the Thunder River Rapids ride tragedy..

All proceeds from the day will go to the Australian Red Cross.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #20
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
How would you feel being the operator? regardless of whether it was in eye shot, and if it was, surely the stop button is in reach, you would be wrecked. I have been at work when someone has died, totally unrelated to what I was doing, same trade, but a different work area, supply, substation supply even, and it messed with my head pretty bad. 4 people, even without being aquainted, would put unimaginable emotional stress on the poor person who was operating the ride that suffered a mechanical failure that was out of their hands
Apparently one of the kids that were on the ride with his mum, actually saw his mum get killed.

& one of the girls waiting was yelling "where's mummy?!" When she saw it happened.

Which is just damned sad & messed up.

Quote:
It's an indefinite closure, but they will re-open.

Your right, I think there will be a servere drop in patronage now. I believe it's also dropped since the mid 90's when I went the once a year on a school excursion. It seemed in better condition then. Maybe it just looked bigger and newer as a kid. Last time I was there it seemed like some parts could have done with a spruce up. The mine ride was closed and had been for years. Why? Why wasn't one put back in its spot? They keep adding new attractions all the time. I heard a rumour someone had died on it, but seeing the news coverage that has gone on over the past couple of days, & the police presence I doubt it. I'm a bit perplexed by that.

But I think your spot on. This kind of accident sticks for decades. I doubt the ride will re-open, & if it does, won't see lines they way it did before this happened.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 26-10-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
wasn't there a fatality at one of the rides to do with the royal shows that go round from state to state? not sure what state it was in, but as tragic as things are, the show does tend to go on.

i don't think this will be the end of DW. there will be an inquiry and likely even a scapegoat and possible charges laid, but i'm sure it will re-open and continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:.
How would you feel being the operator? regardless of whether it was in eye shot, and if it was, surely the stop button is in reach,
from what i have read, a lot of it is automated now, with sensors etc. for whatever reason, something failed. one of my kids is below min height for many of the more extreme rides, so have done this one a fair few times. the exit point is not far from where the empty tube got stuck and there is always an attendant there waiting for you, so i'm a bit puzzled how something like this has happened, as are many of the staff and owners no doubt. there is cctv all around the ride and a control room with screens monitoring etc. i guess it can happen quite quick. i have been there on quiet days where they obviously have limited staff on as well, and sometimes the staff are in charge of multiple jobs. i would imagine one would only have to be distracted for a fairly short time for something like this to happen.

this will be pretty heavily investigated and as long as they learn from it, it should prevent further accidents in the future.
Old 26-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

of all the rides on the coast that i would expect to read about a fatality, the river rapids wouldn't even rate a mention.

if it was the scooby doo ride at movie world, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. something about it just creeps me out. doing 180 degree tight turns up in the air, its just putting a lot of faith in the wheels holding you on the track. my 7yr old thinks i'm a big girl... i have no problem with buzzsaw, pandemonium, green lantern, claw, superman etc etc, but that scooby doo one.... nope. not me.

the mine ride was cool as well, but i think part of the attraction of that ride was wondering if you were going to get to the finish. as mentioned, its been closed for many years.
Old 26-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #23
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The news reported tonight it was the operator's 1st day, a young 18 year old girl who apparently had issues with the ride not working correctly earlier in the day and maintenance had already been to service the ride.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #24
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
The news reported tonight it was the operator's 1st day, a young 18 year old girl who apparently had issues with the ride not working correctly earlier in the day and maintenance had already been to service the ride.
That would mess up anyone's head, let alone an 18 year old on their first day.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #25
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Damn, thats a horrible start into the working world. I have no words for that. I feel nothing but compassion for that girl as what she had to deal with was out of her control
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #26
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
Dreamworld will reopen on Friday for a memorial day to honour those killed in the Thunder River Rapids ride tragedy..

All proceeds from the day will go to the Australian Red Cross.

Good stuff...

Why not give it to the kids that watched their parents being minced by the conveyor?

WTF?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #27
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good stuff...

Why not give it to the kids that watched their parents being minced by the conveyor?

WTF?
Those kids will be well looked after, they will have lines of solicitors at their guardians doors to make sure of that.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #28
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good stuff...

WTF?
I did raise the eyebrows when the nominated recipient was the Red Cross and not a designated trust fund for the children..
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #29
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Good stuff...

WTF?
As far as I am aware (from media reports), the CEO has publicly committed to looking after the poor children that lost their parents in this tragedy..

Let's not make this thread a 'blame game' as IMHO, that wasn't the OP's intention...

RIP to those lost and thoughts to family, friends and everyone involved...
Old 27-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #30
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Is it just me or did anyone else think that the Ch7 Sunrise program this morning being broadcast from outside the front of Dreamworld with the headlines "Nightmare at Dreamworld" was extremely insensitive?
The media seems to find a lower level to stoop to every time something like this happens.