Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Possum Shifting

I need to persuade a possum to leave it's roost in my garage pretty much within the next 24 hours - it's occupying some items I want to remove.

Not interested in killing or injuring, just want it to shift. So - guns, knives, flamethrowers, spears, capsicum spray and Leopard tanks are out. I've tried disturbing the items and that seems to have made it more resolute in staying. Having been bitten and scratched by possums before, I'm not in a hurry to bring about physical confrontation.

So, yes, suggestions requested please.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Possum Shifting

ask it nicely to leave??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Hire a big-a$$ trap-box and drive it miles away and drop it off in the bush somewhere.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Trendseeker

Post Re: Possum Shifting

Remove your items when the possum is out and about at night.

You could try setting up a bright spotlight in there to flush him out at night while you get your stuff. Leave some apple slices behind as a peace offering.

Last edited by Trendseeker; 11-07-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thank you all.

I tried PB's suggestion first, for a number of hours off and on. I even offered to make it a nice blanky bed from collapsed Commodore roof linings. No dice, I reckon it had smoked a point of meth and all it wanted to do was have a go.

Eventually - after basically giving up and asking for suggestions - Meth Possum crawled out and skanked off into the night. He will get a treat for being a good chap in the end.

I was nearly at the stage of asking the parish priest to come and baptise it, because then it would only return for Easter and Christmas...
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Thank you all.

I tried PB's suggestion first, for a number of hours off and on. I even offered to make it a nice blanky bed from collapsed Commodore roof linings. No dice, I reckon it had smoked a point of meth and all it wanted to do was have a go.

Eventually - after basically giving up and asking for suggestions - Meth Possum crawled out and skanked off into the night. He will get a treat for being a good chap in the end.

I was nearly at the stage of asking the parish priest to come and baptise it, because then it would only return for Easter and Christmas...
Hey mate if he doesn't come back and your missing him, i can send over one from our seventy odd million supply, think you might have to change sheep jokes now haha. think we only have 60 million sheep.

Last edited by five 7; 13-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this story hasn't finished I want to hear results at end of the weekend, you have some crappy weather heading your way, Possie could change his/her/its mind and return only to find its bed has been disturbed, removed then the proverbial will hit the fan.
remedy....remove the fan as well.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I thought this was going to be a thread about "Possum" Bourne's gear changing technique.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
hayseed

Call Wires, Tell 'em you think It's Injured.. They'll come & take It off Your Hands for you..

https://www.wires.org.au/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
sr71

Floodlight in the current location will upset their sleeping, so they'll relocate.
Also spray Korean tea in the area. A bit of useless info once given to me by a wires volunteer, because i wasnt told exactly what type of tea. Apparently it smelt horrible, and possums dont like the smell, so move on. Just what you want the garage smelling like. Possum wee and Rank smelling tea...

I quite like the little creatures. A Kiwi friend was telling me how hated they are in NZ (as Five 7 has mentioned) If they see them near the road, they'll swerve to hit them. An introduced pest that have evolved to be bigger than ours.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep they are fair game here, lots are shot trapped and poisoned plus fur is plucked along with skins for garments. Even with all that it doesn't seem to put a dent in population, always heaps of roadkill around my way.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I don't know; we send the Kiwis our possums to distract them from their sheep but they don't seem the least bit grateful.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I don't know; we send the Kiwis our possums to distract them from their sheep but they don't seem the least bit grateful.
They think they're Hobbits.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m getting mental pictures of a hobbit-skin rug, like the tiger ones with a whole head...

So far, no further possum issues. Meth Possum and his shazza appear to have relocated for now, no ginseng tea spray required. I genuinely like the critters but they are impossible to domesticate like a cat or dog. If they could keep their 1’s and 2’s outdoors and let me trim their claws we might have a deal.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #15
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha Oz treats them like a sacred Hindi cow, here public enemy No1. Have had mates rescue baby's from the pouch after mums being dispatched, perfect pets up to 8 or 9 months then they turn, like something out of the Walking Dead. They go from cuddly furry cute. to yellow fanged hissing ball of evil. Then we did get all breeding stock from Tazzy. I think it can run up to $100 kg for hand plucked fur, not bad if you want to get off your butt in a slow country town.

Last edited by five 7; 14-07-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 14-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some councils will hire out possum traps, but being a protected species, there are rules about where you can release them, my council specifies that you can’t release them any more than 50m from where you catch them, stupidly. I’ve spent many years excluding them from my roof space and found they were lifting capping tiles to get access, I only succeeded when a roof resto mortared them down tight.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Some councils will hire out possum traps, but being a protected species, there are rules about where you can release them, my council specifies that you can’t release them any more than 50m from where you catch them, stupidly. I’ve spent many years excluding them from my roof space and found they were lifting capping tiles to get access, I only succeeded when a roof resto mortared them down tight.
Even if you released them 50 miles rather than 50 metres from your place they will still find the way back
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too true, be good if they could swim.