Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 
Default Ford Advertising; is it still as good?

I was rewatching the BA "can't get enough of this" advert on youtube (along with a few others from this period) and it got me thinking, is the current advertising as good as it was around the release of the BA?
I still can't get the jingle "can't get enough of this" out of my head...

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope...

the BA advert was one out of the box, imo one of the best car ads ever

edit: the scenery helped though
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

who's most likely to let buyers forget about the best locally designed car?

Who's most likely?

Ford, of course.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are wrong, wrong,wrong.. Well aacording to this report Ford adds are the BEST in the industry!!!

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...007-168sb.html
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
You guys are wrong, wrong,wrong.. Well aacording to this report Ford adds are the BEST in the industry!!!

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...007-168sb.html
Survey was probably done in Geelong.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BA ad was unquestionably the best car ad that Ford have done in this country. The fact it was showing the then new sporty lines of the BA, when we were surrounded on the road everyday with AU's didn't hurt either. ;)

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

have you driven a ford lately??

time they brought that slogan back and milked it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh right Windsor220 if you want to know that most of the ford people I know hate the adds that ford au are putting out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

For those who need to see it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNOY1mAo40U

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford cop a lot of criticism over their advertising, and I believe a fair share of that is undeserved. Ford do have good adverts, they are simple, clear and not overly personalised. But their problem is they are not emotive, wether you are a car fan or not, a car purchase should be an emotive one, most get very excited about buying a new car. Ford advertising is bland in this regard. They are trying not to personalise their adverts with people smiling and happy snaps of families like Holden do, but love them or hate them, Holden are onto a winning formula I think (as bull crap as the messages might be sometimes). Being the emotive purchase a car is, their ads are clear, emotive, smart and well put together, but most of all they excite you. The BA advert is a perfect example how to tastefully excite, educate and not to over personalise an advert. IMHO Ford need to take a leaf out of Holdens book in going forward. Some of the Ford US adverts are sensational I think, so some inspiration can be drawn from them too. But Audi does advertising best I think.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Ford cop a lot of criticism over their advertising, and I believe a fair share of that is undeserved. Ford do have good adverts, they are simple, clear and not overly personalised. But their problem is they are not emotive, wether you are a car fan or not, a car purchase should be an emotive one, most get very excited about buying a new car. Ford advertising is bland in this regard. They are trying not to personalise their adverts with people smiling and happy snaps of families like Holden do, but love them or hate them, Holden are onto a winning formula I think (as bull crap as the messages might be sometimes). Being the emotive purchase a car is, their ads are clear, emotive, smart and well put together, but most of all they excite you. The BA advert is a perfect example how to tastefully excite, educate and not to over personalise an advert. IMHO Ford need to take a leaf out of Holdens book in going forward. Some of the Ford US adverts are sensational I think, so some inspiration can be drawn from them too. But Audi does advertising best I think.
You nailed it.
Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Problem is Holden have very good campaigns, simple for simple people. My issue with their tactics is that what they say verges on lies at times. But, they push the boundaries, ford don't.

Lol @ the geelong comment
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford America had..."Ford Built for the Road Ahead"
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We would never see an ad like this, here !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBZKo3yYoE
Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I REMEmBER that ba advert, I was in the living room with parents, I was like PWOA im going to get this ..years later I did I showed them!

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
We would never see an ad like this, here !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBZKo3yYoE
Agree big time how good was that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbl
I REMEmBER that ba advert, I was in the living room with parents, I was like PWOA im going to get this ..years later I did I showed them!
The ad and the car was so good that in 2003 it got me into my first, of many Fords (a brand new BA XR6).

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody hell i was 12 when i first had seen this add lol

btw ford makes the best adds.. except for that 1 navara add! the boys eating pies in the back lol/

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Good post Dan, you defend Ford and then describe exactly what's wrong with their advertising.
One of the biggest concerns Ford had three years ago was that their ads were not
connecting personally with buyers, unless people invest their emotions in buying a car
and feel like Ford builds car specifically for them and their needs, the purchase
remains just transport and we all might as well go buy Firdges like Toyota.

It's marketing that's letting Ford down, advertising is just one tool.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

fords adds could be a bit better and more inspiring but the biggest problem i have is when the fg was released the only way i even knew about it was from wheels and street fords. I think i saw maybe one add on tv and a small write up in the local paper over 3 months after it was released. Pretty crap for a new car i think.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
Matt P
No Boundries

They have fallen away a bit the F Series pulling out the road train "got a chamois you can use". The XR8 ute adds must be stuck in third. The RTV add racing the motor bike flooded it mate. Ford need to get the guys that made these adds back. The fingers walking were a bit of a let down for how good the FG is.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

I have no problem, I think the Ford marketing dept does a good job on adds however they focus too much on the imports Focus/Fiesta/anything else and they gain far too much airplay

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Good post Dan, you defend Ford and then describe exactly what's wrong with their advertising. It's marketing that's letting Ford down, advertising is just one tool.
Thanks mate. But you summed it up in one sentence, very well put.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's marketing that's letting Ford down, advertising is just one tool.
You have hit the nail on the head with this. When the BA was released I think that Ford had it right on many fronts. The ads were targeted at the right audiences. The BA ad was slick and the tune did stick in your head. The XR8 and subsequent RTV ute ads are still a favourite of mine and was targetted well. Ford also then utilised their presence in V8 supercars very well with some good buys, good team support and linking them back to advertising.

With the FG we have not seen the same sort of advertising. It is weak, safe and I agree emotion should come into it. Also you do not see it in enough media. Support for motorsport has been wound back and this does have an impact. The classic case is the new motor for the FPV's. Ford should have been going overtime on this, but there has been minimal marketing.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Blue Oval nudges out its larger local rivals in the chase for a slice of new-car sales.

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and ... Ford cars?

A survey of car brand names in Australia has revealed that thanks to its advertising, the Blue Oval gains more recognition from people planning to buy a new car than its natural rival, Holden.

The Roy Morgan survey, released this week, looks at buyers' perceptions of 11 car brands sold in Australia, ranking them from the one with most advertising recall — that would be Ford, ranked third on the overall sales chart — to the one with the least — that would be Volkswagen, which manages to sell about a third of the number of cars that Ford does.

Surprisingly, Australia's top selling brand by a huge margin — Toyota — only managed to place third behind Holden, the nation's second largest-selling brand and the maker of the Holden Commodore, the nation's most popular car amongst buyers.

Korean car maker Hyundai managed to edge out Mitsubishi in the latest survey and climb to sixth place in the rankings, behind Japanese brands Mazda and Honda, with Nissan, Subaru and BMW — the only luxury car maker to rate a mention in the survey, and according to Roy Morgan still ''well clear of their luxury rivals'' — filling the other places ahead of VW.

The Automotive Currency Report says the survey's results give an indication of the advertising effectiveness of each brand's campaigns.

Advertising recall among intended buyers

Brand Buyer recall %
Ford 74.8
Holden 72.9
Toyota 70.7
Mazda 67.5
Honda 66.2
Hyundai 58.7
Mitsubishi 55.3
Nissan 53.2
Subaru 45.5
BMW 38.4
Volkswagen 38.1
Source: Roy Morgan Research

My comment : SO why aren't they selling !!!!!! dealers letting the side down??????
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #26
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how come i counted 3+ E3 HSV ads and not a single New boss SC FPV ad during BAthurst broadcast.. **** poor effort.

did catch a glimpse of the "NEW BOSS 335" on the rear of the FPV racer once though.. HHMM!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ibj...eature=related

I reckon this is Ford Australia's best add they have made for a Falcon. Very upbeat catchy song, cool CGI for the time, etc.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-10-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #28
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

WRONG!!!!!

Remember the Territory ad with the kid covering up his Kluger in Territory drawings. Ford had people ringing up requesting to adopt the child. There cant have been a more emotive ad in history than one that makes reasonable adults do something as nonsense as that. Just because the majority of posters here are males 25-49 and think the only way to make an ad is to display "sportiness" doesn't mean it will be effective. For the last 10 years FoA have been adequately moving the focus of their advertising to the areas of the market which most need address. The fact that Ford advertising is derided here on AFF is testament to that.

You can waste money chasing 100% of one market or shore up 20% of the overall market.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have lost their way for sure, the best ad I've ever seen was that BA ad, simply brilliant, then the hilarious ute ads, flooded it mate, stuck in third etc, FG sedan ads are pathetic, most uninspiring crap i've ever seen on TV..the ute ad was alright though.

Connecting them with the V8's was a good idea too..like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbZn...e=more_related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a0rA...eature=related
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #30
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
how come i counted 3+ E3 HSV ads and not a single New boss SC FPV ad during BAthurst broadcast.. **** poor effort.
True, very silly, I know most enthusiast would know its already coming, but I learnt the VE now comes with bi-modal exhaust.

FPV should have been bragging madly to this audience, this is it''s bread and butter. Just popping it on its website, which no features a 50/50 mix of old and new info depending which button you push is poor form.