Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #1021
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

My son's nut job pitbull died.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #1022
.:4:.
Kicking back

To divert my attention from something that put me in a bad mood, i decided to try and probably fail again with garden equipment repair. But i succeeded. Went from having 2 (one being my tenants) non running whipper snippers, to being given a 3rd non running whipper snipper, to which i took the parts needed out of my one and got it running, and now there is 3 that start, run, and idle well. Cant find the effort to do the lawn now though. And a whipper snipper wont wash the car either. But now there is 3. I just need to find 2 helpers and lawns will be easy.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #1023
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I just need to find 2 helpers and lawns will be easy.
sheep or goats
Old 21-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #1024
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
sheep or goats
Id love to own a goat. I would call him butt head. As long as he does the edges, i think we would be sweet.
Old 21-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #1025
Lunch
Wait, what?

Got a text from the lovely today saying she thinks there’s a bird inside the walls, then another later saying it’s inside the downstairs ceiling, when I got home I heard it through the return air grille, luckily because that’s the only spot I would be able to get access to liberate it from
[IMG][/IMG]
He watched and waited while we tried to work out how to get the grille off and I was able to grab him, was really worried it would be trapped in the walls and die
[IMG][/IMG]

The chances of him being in the 1 spot I could reach him, the first time I tried to get him and for him not to take off up into the heating duct or top ceiling or back through the floor.. pretty slim, clever bird I reckon
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1026
superyob
Banned

Talking Re: What made you feel good today?

Donald Trump's continued demolition of the Democrats...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #1027
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Just recently bought a 2017 candy apple red Affinity Squier strat made in Indonesia (at the long established Cort factory) after doing some research & yep so far im pretty happy with it as a lounge guitar lol.

Build quality way better than some of the cheaper Squier's according to youtube & its neck & action for the money is excellent. Just got to get some other stuff for it then i cant wait to hear what it sounds like turned up.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #1028
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Good stuff, I've been eyeing the black face "Princeton Reverb" DIY kits but can't justify the $1200 cost for ~15 minutes of noodling about every now and then. That's an amp which would flatter your new toy IMO.

As to other "feel good" items, well, I put out a clean glazed stoneware bowl of fresh water for passing animals; it's refilled every morning when I go out to check the street for corpses and carnage. Recently the bees (two hives each with three supers, soon to become three hives) have been drinking from the bowl, it looks gorgeous but probably deters some mutts. I've noticed their wax is starting to transfer to the bowl as a greasy film. All I need to do is convince them to drink dew off my car every morning and I'll get a free wax job on the paintwork.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #1029
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Scratching an old friendly dog and he wants more scratches.

Gave him scratches, but the hair!!!!!

Scratches=scratchies
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #1030
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Since when did an old dog say "Cheers, that's plenty of scratches, I'll be on my way, thanks"?
Old 22-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #1031
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Since when did an old dog say "Cheers, that's plenty of scratches, I'll be on my way, thanks"?
when theres food around
Old 22-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #1032
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wasn't today, it was yesterday.
I used to be a teacher in an earlier life...
Some kids from a class I taught in 1977 (42 years ago!)tracked me down earlier this year.
They have communicated with me since then and were pleading with me to go down to the big smoke and have a coffee with them. They are all in their 50s now.

I ummed and arred for quite some time but eventually gave in.
I met with them yesterday, thinking an hour would pull it up.
Six hours later...
I was humbled by the impressions that they told me I had on them during that time and was pleasantly surprised at the things they had done and how they had turned out.
I was also surprised at just how perceptive they were back then and the things they remembered.
I had a great day and they wish to do it again and have more kids who couldn't make it yesterday attend the next time.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #1033
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Thought my wheels were shiny enough.

But thanks to George hooking me up with this cordless polisher they will forever be shinier
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #1034
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Mine came today.. Thanks George!
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #1035
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
when theres food around
....and scratchies
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #1036
Kicking back

Whilst i found all the reactions i got dragging a 6 foot ladder out of a 2 door yaris in loading docks funny, it was good to get the ute back. So it had the brakes done, clutch adjusted or something (the friction point feels different), new intercooler and they did something else, didnt catch what. It was plugs or cleaned injectors or something. It was 8k over service, but it drives way better then when i took it in as a non turbo diesel. My manager is still a bit ****ty with me for not just living with a blown intercooler and getting the car sorted straight away, but if i didnt put my foot down, id be hating life.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #1037
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
My 20yo Son put down a deposit on his first house build today.

2 bedroom townhouse in a new estate not far from home.
Another milestone, got the final approval for the loan today, appointment with the Conveyancer later this week and a date to start the build to follow.

Been a marathon to get to this point, boy did they make him jump through hoops before they'd give the green light, nearly gave up a couple of times so I stepped in to help out where I could.
He shook my hand and said congrats old man, I said what for, he said you're just as much a part of this as me, I said you don't need to congratulate me Son, that's what im here for, all the congrats goes to you for making this a reality before your 21st birthday, not too many 20yo's can say they've worked constantly for 6 years, paid off their 5yr car loan in 2.5yrs, saved a deposit for a house and have enough in reserve to completely furnish it with brand new stuff.

I think im more excited than he is though, we're giving him a Weber BBQ as a house warming gift, cant wait to fire up the barbie and open a bottle of Chivas to mark the occasion.

Last edited by BENT_8; 23-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #1038
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Good on you for the encouragement and support! Teamwork that’s great to see.

My family were the opposite, “It’s impossible, don’t even try!” - To my shame I believed them.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #1039
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Good on you for the encouragement and support! Teamwork that’s great to see.

My family were the opposite, “It’s impossible, don’t even try!” - To my shame I believed them.
So obviously theres a lot to do with location. But when i got onto the home ownership thing, is was only 25, and even getting a lender to take me seriously was difficult. I wont say who i used, not financially, but just to get someone to listen. I had the credentials, but fell into the age category. It was hard 7 years back proving anything at 25, so at 20 these days, im also kind of impressed. For a house you live in, its not in my opinion and investment. The market goes up and down, but you always need somewhere to live. So its not a profit thing, its sell today, buy tomorrow and only move upwards with the equity you have paid off then mortgage again. But it still beats the crap out of paying someone elses mortgage.
Old 23-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #1040
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
So obviously theres a lot to do with location.
This.

Little old Adelaide cops a lot of **** from people on the outside and much of it is warranted, but I cant think of many State/Territory capitals in Australia where a 20yo could get on the ladder as a sole purchaser within 30 minutes of the CBD and be able to go outside in winter in shorts and not suffer hypothermia(Hobart) or go for a swim in summer and not get eaten by a crocodile(Darwin)..
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #1041
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

There are screaming bargains in Tasmania if you have put in the on-ground legwork. Not really that cold either (subjective; I love cold dry places). I’d like to have a $5M kitty for purchases there.
Old 23-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #1042
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Doesn't get as cold as Canberra... Doesn't get as warm as Canberra. I swear though, you can't live with the country laid back, I'm in no hurry, traffic. There's no fun on the road in Tas. and I'm never going back. NEVER!
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #1043
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tassie roads are the best!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #1044
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

It's a beautiful place, no doubt, I've been there a few times in the last 3 years as port of calls on cruises.
If my cousin ever says yes, that's where we'll settle...
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #1045
Kicking back

It happened again. Was in a lift with a client today and standard small talk. She asks how long id been doing my job. I said i started when i was 19. So she says so not too many years then. The look on her face was gold when i said nah, 13 years.
Old 24-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #1046
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Gone for another 2 weeks
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #1047
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
It happened again. Was in a lift with a client today and standard small talk. She asks how long id been doing my job. I said i started when i was 19. So she says so not too many years then. The look on her face was gold when i said nah, 13 years.
Did you hit the emergency stop button?
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #1048
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Did you hit the emergency stop button?
There wasnt any good reason for that... But the other 2 quotes that werent approved yet got approved.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #1049
Kicking back

Well, long story short, the work ute is currently driving great. Its the only diesel ive driven, work put me in it with 40k on it and i thought that was just how a poverty pack 2.2L manual ranger was. Box was sweet but it was extremely slow. Fast forward through a few years of services and minor failures, it was running great but still very slow, better then extremely slow. Blew the replacement intercooler on monday, so put it in for repair on monday. Got it back yesterday. So new intercooler, full service with the brakes done and something i didnt quite catch. It was apparently $2500 of work done. But its a different car. 130k on the dial (i rounded up) and it drives better then it did at 40k. Still slow compared to most things, but blinky the traction control light has blinked a few times. And the thing is still loaded, so not running light, tyres are near new (last service). Im hessitant, because im used to living in the slow lane, but maybe i can pick more normal gaps to pull into traffic, not giant gaps. Its deffinately not fast. Its still slow as hell, but faster then very slow.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #1050
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This post doesn't involve "ladies in lifts"... :p

Went to look at a tradie van for a mate, he needed an engine donor for his. This was WAY better than the existing vehicle, and only a thou. Done.

What's so good about this? Well, the repair's part of the slow meandering required for XR6 "Foster Ute" to return to me... And I finished up talking classic Aussie Fords with the seller - had a few about the place!