Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Pit Lane Performance

Pit Lane Performance Pit Lane Performance, tuning for power and satisfaction. Website Link

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. 
Default PWR Stepped FG Intercooler Review

As some of you are aware, we recently purchased a PWR intercooler for Bels G6ET.
At the time of purchase we asked PWR to weld a boss on either end tank so I could do some testing accross the cooler.
We chose this cooler as it is a bolt in replacement cooler, but we had to trim some plastic from the lower inner edge of the front bumper bar, nothing visible at all but thought it was worth noting, otherwise all fitted as advertised. We aslo fitted a set of Herrod polished pipes and joiners th replace the weak factory items.

The car had previuosly been fitted with a Nizpro 4" exhaust and a set of FG F6 injectors and a quick tune, not a complete tune, but just to get things close.
The cooler and pipes were then fitted and the car rerun on the dyno with exactly the same tune in it as per previous runs.

The first chart shows the difference in inlet air temps as seen by the ECU, this has been recorded directly from the OBD2 diagnostic port via our dyno
and although the turbo is still running in closed loop boost control, it also shows the increase in boost at mid rpm and has highlighted that a port job is required on the wastegate to get the boost back into control.

This run was done with the dyno's pressure sensors fitted to the boss's we had fitted to actually measure the pressure of the air going into and out of the cooler, the difference on the air exiting compared to the air entering is the intercooler pressure drop or loss.

We have not tested any other coolers this way for pressure drop and we have seen better intake air temps but they were on coolers that required cutting of the car to make them fit.

Just for the record, we paid for this cooler, it was not supplied for testing by PWR, our findings are exactly as recorded

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. 

Great guide Mick thanks for sharing I know Boosted is considering one of these coolers....

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang ET:11.10
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Boosted
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in conclusion Mick is this cooler a worthwhile upgrade, for no cutting and controlling IAT's, in something that is only going to max out the the stock FG XR6T/G6E turbo(320rwkw)? Also what temperature was the stock cooler getting to in the upper range, your graph stops at 54 deg C, but it looks like it was going hotter? Thanks.
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. 

If you want to cut the car to make things fit there are coolers out there that will control air intake temps better, but as a bolt in replacement this works extremely well.
Some people do not care about cutting the car, but it may affect the roadworthy or even front impact collision by cutting things up which both may affect a possible insurance claim.

The drama with logging through the obd2 is sometimes the information may be a little slow to read as in the case with the stock cooler run, another couple of hundred rpm may have given a more complete temp indication, but to give an idea, just follow the trend of the lines and the difference would be that.

Old 18-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
fpv09
Starter Motor

Default Re: PWR Stepped FG Intercooler Review

I just got one of these great quality. Question- The car is an FG and is already tuned. I have added turbo side box and it's not over boosting. Will I be okay without another tune? and if it doesn't boost spike more than 1-2 psi, that I might gain with less pressure drop from the PWR cooler install.??
fpv09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the question should be when can i get a tune... surely everything will run better with a tune.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
fpv09
Starter Motor

I wont be able to get to the city for about 3 mths for a tune, and hoping the cooler will help in the next few mths as it heats up. Definitely will get a tune to make the most of it, yet will it be okay for the time being as long as it doesn't over boost or ping, if I hear either, will flash it to my 95 tune from the current 98 one. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 18-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

flashing it back to 95 octane would be a backward move.
You would be better off leaving the standard cooler in place and putting up with the ecu pulling power from the excess heat, rather than changing the system and risking possible damage

This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
fpv09
Starter Motor

Ratter is this a really bad idea, even with the conservative 98 tune I have now? Is over boost and leaning out the main concern? I might be able to go to another tuner nearby to get afr checked just to be safe,.. for now. What's your thoughts. Really looking forward to fitting it as just saved up to buy the thing, and have injectors already to go in, just waiting on the funds to get a cat. Then injectors,cat,tune and zf tune all in one hit. Thanks ratter.
Old 18-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

changing anything once the car has been tuned can be worse than changing it with the standard tune in place, afr is not the main problem, spark is far more important and which is what can do damage quickly in a boosted engine

Old 18-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
fpv09
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice ratter. Guess it'll look nice on display at home for a while.
Old 18-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
JanaXr6t
Starter Motor

For around 300-350rwkw in a 2012 fg turbo mk2, would the PWR stepped be good enough or a process west stage 1 step?
JanaXr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will not get 350 rwkw from the stock FG XR6 Turbo, so if that's the number you were after then you will need to do more mods to get there, but either cooler should be able to get you there if you have the right supporting mods

Old 18-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #14
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: PWR Stepped FG Intercooler Review

Isn't that figure achievable with E85 though Mick?

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
JanaXr6t
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
You will not get 350 rwkw from the stock FG XR6 Turbo, so if that's the number you were after then you will need to do more mods to get there, but either cooler should be able to get you there if you have the right supporting mods
Oh im not just talking about cooler,

My plan is PWR heat exchange, PWR or PW stage 1, 1000c injectors, turbo with upgraded flapper waste gate etc and hoping for a screamer pipe haha 4inch dump 4inch cat with custom 4inch mid and rear pipe, turbo side intake, battery relo, 550L fuel pump whatever the tuner recommends, and a few other mods and tune for between a safe 300-350rwkw with around 600-700nm but dont want to get into the stage of upgrading my gearbox.

Later on ill do my tail shaft and get a twice hat diff set up with maybe a cyro shaft. AND!!!! a good high stall converter.

lol i hope that will be good enough.
Old 23-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will need to fit a larger turbocharger or run on E85 to go anywhere near 350 rwkw

This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
JanaXr6t
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
you will need to fit a larger turbocharger or run on E85 to go anywhere near 350 rwkw
I said between 300-350, ill be happy with 300 lol ifi need to upgrade the turbo, ill just get it high flowed and bigger rear housing etc, but then ill be running 400rwkw and i dont need that kind of power, 300rwkw would be all i would need, but i just want to know if the PWR intercooler would be good for 300-350rwkw. I know its not some insane amazing 1000hp cooler, but its for street use and ive never done track, dont even plan too lol
Old 24-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
petchyboy

If it helps I run the pwr stepped cooler with 355rwkw and its good for what it is. Certainly not the best but if you're not wanting to cut the bar then it's a great solution. Doesn't seem to get massive heat soak on a normal day but struggles on warmer days even after one bootfull. For your power it will be ok if you don't flog it constantly. Not sure on prices of coolers but if it's only 100-200 more fore the next step up, do it. Buy once, buy right!

If you are certain you wont track it or take it to the drags then the pwr will be fine, but you never know what you will want in a years time

I sometimes think of getting a big cooler but that means more cash for that and a 3200km trip for a retune with ratter.....So I'll see you in December again Mick, hell the car is still in melbs after that left side 'dent' ��

Nathan
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im getting a few more mods done to my ute in the coming months, chasing around 400rwkw. I will be adding dump / cat combo, surge kit, turbo side intake and bigger turbo. Will my pwr cooler be okay for that or should I upgrade to a process west stage 2?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #20
Migna
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ratter, can you get away without the port job with the nizpro 4"? Or is it something that must be done to prevent problems?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #21
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not if you want to keep lower boost levels