Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2023, 08:11 PM   #31
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Manual sporty SUV options

Maybe one of the last Nissan Jukes (previous generation) with the turbo 1.6? Not a pretty face, but should go quickly enough.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2023, 08:22 PM   #32
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
A few reasons...
We prefer manuals
My kids are reaching driving age and I want them to learn in a manual
We prefer manuals
I've had this discussion and reluctantly come to the conclusion...

.. that we are dinosaurs

no point in teaching the kids manual if there ain't any out there for them to buy and drive. In Vic at least, they are only restricted to auto on their Ps and can jump into a manual the day they come off them.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 08:26 PM   #33
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose Simon
But
Why can’t we buy manual Puma s and Escape s

They exist in Europe

There is no buyers here … but there actually is … sadly Ford was one of the first to get rid of manuals

I ve got a Puma. Honestly it would be such a better car if it had a six speed manual. I change my driving to suit the dct.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2023, 10:02 PM   #34
Swordie

Mazda CX-30
Mini Countryman
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2023, 10:48 PM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
There is no buyers here … but there actually is
If there were enough of them, they'd sell them. Clearly, the market has moved on, just like it did from LPG, CRT TVs, cassette tapes, etc
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 06:12 AM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
A few reasons...
We prefer manuals
My kids are reaching driving age and I want them to learn in a manual
We prefer manuals
naddis I have the same mindset but......
My 2 eldeset kids have full license nowadays, I grew up with manuals, infact my Sprint 8 I ordered in manual and love it....connecting me with the past.
My 2 boys I taught in manual with the same mind set, since they have ended up with autos due to many reasons, mostly not enough choice and we in the burbs compared to your location if I'm right.
Are my boys better drivers having had manual experience ? am I looking at things how it was long before when manual cars we're way better than the early days of autos ? auto boxs of the past are nothing like todays for eg.
My last 18yr old daughter right now preffered auto due to the pressure coming for the test result coping with traffic, she didn't care about manual so she set the path.
Arranged her having alot of lessons, all in auto as well doing most of her 120hrs with me.
Looking for cars soon for her auto has alot in the market to buy whereas look at the issue your looking into now.
By the time your kids get into their 20's what manuals will be around to buy.

Not many manuals to buy today as we've checked, the general population have moved on, less sedans/wagons etcetc....it sucks but we're in the minority.

Good luck whatever you end up with it will be interesting to see what you end up with.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 06:48 AM   #37
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

From my point of view, I would just like to teach my kids a life skill. They may never need to drive a manual, but at least they'll be able to do it if the need arises.

On another note, every single work vehicle at my workplace is manual and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So there are instances when a manual licence is needed. Manuals aren't dead yet.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 06:58 AM   #38
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer for sure, always good to know a skill that is going by the way side.
I was going to mention some industries still have alot of manuals as your involved with.
Wonder when that time changes, yer not dead yet thats for sure but time will tell sadly.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 07:13 AM   #39
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving manuals will end up being like riding a horse, 150 years ago most people would have known how to ride one.
Nowadays most people don't, but there's still a lot of people who do.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #40
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP - How badly does the I20N Scrape? I know it may seem silly but have you looked at Toyota GR Yaris? They have 25mm more ground clearance than I20N (and yes, I looked it up...lol). I know its only 25mm but if the I20N only just has an issue, you never know. GR yaris is manual only and will be every bit as sporty, and quicker in a straight line by a decent margin, than I20N.

Its sad the manuals are slowly being killed off, and Im glad my manual SS is a keeper. Always said I am dead set on teaching my son Manual when he learns how to drive, but he turned 9 this year so we are still 6+ years away from that and the way its going, by then, even if I teach him he probably wont even be able to buy one!!

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
OP - How badly does the I20N Scrape? I know it may seem silly but have you looked at Toyota GR Yaris? They have 25mm more ground clearance than I20N (and yes, I looked it up...lol). I know its only 25mm but if the I20N only just has an issue, you never know. GR yaris is manual only and will be every bit as sporty, and quicker in a straight line by a decent margin, than I20N.

Its sad the manuals are slowly being killed off, and Im glad my manual SS is a keeper. Always said I am dead set on teaching my son Manual when he learns how to drive, but he turned 9 this year so we are still 6+ years away from that and the way its going, by then, even if I teach him he probably wont even be able to buy one!!
Would not be easy to get hold of one. Sold out new, and second handers would be excessive $$$$$$.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #42
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can buy a used GR Yaris anywhere from mid $40k to mid $50k depending on Year and KM. Crappy thing with that market though, is that a heap of them only paid $40k for them new when Toyota did that special for the first 100 (or was it more, I cant remember), with the rest paying full fat $50k+ for them..

What may help OP is that he would be able to sell the I20N for thousands more than he paid for it new.. They where $39K odd on the road new. Dealers are asking $45k for demo's and used ones are all low $40k's. Its because Hyundai stopped taking orders for them because they couldnt make enough. I tried to buy one (instead of the Tuscon I ended up with as a daily) but the dealer said not allowed to order, but I could purchase the demo with 4k km for $46k...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 11:55 AM   #43
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why has no one suggested hitting the hump at speed and jumping it instead...

serious note, I'm assuming you have tried the very simple idea of approaching slowly at a sideways angle like most people would do with low cars and speedhumps. This won't make a huge difference if the driveway is narrow, but it might make just enough if the car only just touches
Old 13-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #44
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Is there opportunity to put in another driveway? If there's no other cars available that suits your needs and the current driveway/car combo remains an issue, then we need to to look at other solutions.

A second driveway means you're not wasting money on reconfiguring the current one, possibly even adding value to the property in the process. Just an idea.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 04:26 PM   #45
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about laying down a shallow edged version of a speed hump at the point where you need the wheels to rise and the underside of the current car clear the crown of the driveway. You could make it from concrete, or one of those rubberised type or even lay a steel plate down with a bend in it and something bracing the centre so the steel plate doesn't bend down as it's driven over.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #46
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
What about laying down a shallow edged version of a speed hump at the point where you need the wheels to rise and the underside of the current car clear the crown of the driveway. You could make it from concrete, or one of those rubberised type or even lay a steel plate down with a bend in it and something bracing the centre so the steel plate doesn't bend down as it's driven over.
Yes, this is what I was planning on doing if we don't change cars. Something along the lines of those speed cushions. The speed bumps that are basically a platform.

That seems cheaper and easier than ripping up the driveway.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yes, this is what I was planning on doing if we don't change cars. Something along the lines of those speed cushions. The speed bumps that are basically a platform.

That seems cheaper and easier than ripping up the driveway.
Is it the whole underside of the car scraping including the rockers under the doors, only the rocker panels, or just the exhaust, transmission etc. hitting ?

If its just the underside mechanicals parts, the cutting of a small section of concrete out only (say 1m long x 0.5m wide) within that area will do. I remember some super steep garage approaches will sometime have what looks like a small pit with shallow steps in it just where the centre of the underside passes over giving clearance for transmissions, exhaust etc.

My uncles place has something similar just at the garage door threshold. Roller door has a small extension on the bottom panel in the centre.

My own beavertail truck has a similar problem while i was loading the Falcon onto it, the rocker cleared the change in angle while the exhaust flange and trans crossmember would scrape. A small centre section was removed giving it clearance

Dr Smith reference.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #48
Swordie

Kia Stonic - there is a manual option.

https://www.kia.com/au/cars/stonic/features.html
Old 14-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Kia Stonic - there is a manual option.

https://www.kia.com/au/cars/stonic/features.html
There is nothing sporty about one of those.
Old 14-04-2023, 12:07 PM   #50
HONK
*Honker*

All "SUV's" and Americanized "trucks" belong in the dump.
That is all.

HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2023, 12:10 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONK View Post
All "SUV's" belong in the dump.

That is all.
This coming from the guy who's cars are always wrecks that are falling apart, and filled with the cheapest replacement parts you can get.

Old 14-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #52
HONK
*Honker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
This coming from the guy who's cars are always wrecks that are falling apart, and filled with the cheapest replacement parts you can get.

Good one.

HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #53
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
There is nothing sporty about one of those.
I agree to certain extent. A small engine manual would be fun around town. You will get the chance to wind the gears out and push the engine to it limits. That's the fun of the manual and small engine. A manual 5.0 Mustang will be doing around 100kmh in second gear. I think you don't need to do high speeds to have fun. Modern cars are much easier to drive over the limit than cars from years ago.

There's not much available in terms of manual sporty SUVs on the Australian market. There would be allot more range in Europe. Manuals are much popular there.
Old 14-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I agree to certain extent. A small engine manual would be fun around town. You will get the chance to wind the gears out and push the engine to it limits. That's the fun of the manual and small engine. A manual 5.0 Mustang will be doing around 100kmh in second gear. I think you don't need to do high speeds to have fun. Modern cars are much easier to drive over the limit than cars from years ago.

There's not much available in terms of manual sporty SUVs on the Australian market. There would be allot more range in Europe. Manuals are much popular there.
If it's to replace an i20N than it's not even remotely in the same ball park.

74 kw and 133 nm would struggle to even get up a decent hill. Nothing fun about being a mobile roadblock.
Old 14-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

To replace something 150KW/275NM and does 0-100 in sub 7 seconds?

I'm aware that the OP has requested a unicorn, but all the suggestions floating in are like no one even considered or knows what an I20N is in the first place

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-04-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #56
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it's not an SUV, but to my eye the fiesta ST has higher ground clearance than the i20N
Old 14-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #57
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd also suggest an Audi Q3 but they are all 10 years old for a manual
Old 14-04-2023, 05:15 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
it's not an SUV, but to my eye the fiesta ST has higher ground clearance than the i20N
NLA

What about a Subaru WRX? Its got a bit more ground clearance - also not a SUV but it comes in manual.

https://performancedrive.com.au/2022...ew-video-0801/

Quote:
2022 Subaru WRX RS – THE SPECS

Engine: 2.4-litre turbo flat four-cylinder
Output: 202kW@5600rpm / 350Nm@2000-5200rpm
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Drive type: All-wheel drive, centre LSD
Wheels: F & R: 18×8.5, 245/40
ANCAP: Not tested
Tare weight: 1516kg
Power-to-weight: 7.50:1 (kg:kW)
Official fuel economy: 9.9L/100km
Economy during test: 10.2L/100km

Fuel capacity/Type: 63L/95 RON
Power efficiency: 20.40kW:L/100km
0-60km/h: 2.71 seconds*
0-100km/h: 5.93 seconds*
60-110km/h: 4.12 seconds*
1/4 mile: 14.08 seconds at 159.7km/h*
Max acceleration: 0.927g
100-0km/h braking: 2.84 seconds at 37.35 metres*
Max deceleration: -1.236g
Decibel at idle: 45*
Peak decibel at 60-100km/h: 82*
Priced from: $50,490
Old 14-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #59
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you search on carsales for new/suv/manual there is practically nothing, and certainly nothing I'd call sporty
Old 14-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
if you search on carsales for new/suv/manual there is practically nothing, and certainly nothing I'd call sporty
Thats because SUVs are for old people who make noises when they get in and out of cars, people who have given up on life, accountants and or mothers doing school runs.
4 users like this post: