Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 28-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default xm sedan upgrade info needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, a friend has just finished doing this car up before xmas and has found it is no good on Hiway due to the 177 and 2speed auto,he wants to put an old 250 and borgwarner 3 speed or c4 auto in,
does anyone know whats needed to make the upgrade easy,i.e.do we have to change to floorshift? what tailshaft? will motor bolt straight in?
any help would be appreciated.
cheers Nick.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...lesxmrhside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...alesxmseats.jpg

OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

My brother and his mate just did an XM ute conversion to a xflow 250 and BW40 3sp auto.
The engine went in fine with thermo's but the box was a drama as the tunnel is too small and the box was tight against the floor.
They still haven't sorted it yet.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Changing engines wont affect the revs at 100kmh. The final drive on a 2sps & 3spd box is still 1:1. Of course a 250 will be a lot more driveable due to increaesed power.
Id be looking at changing diff ratio. XP Fairmont had 3.2:1 but are hard to find. A 5 speed manual would be a better way to go.
As far as fitting a C4 or BW35 it will fit but you need to open up the tunnel entrance to fit. I have just done this with my XM, its not that hard.
250 will clear the bonnet but you need different mounts.
Gearshift can be column, mine is. Or floorshift but if you have front bench its a bit tight. Tailshaft on BW35 is the same length, not sure on C4.
Heres a pic that may help
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the motor was fully rebuilt and cruises fine at 100kmh, the problem is hills,fairly steep long hill will see it drop back to around 40kmh with the two speed, so friend can get early iron head 250 cheap and thought it would be easy fix, would a different auto on original motor fix it?
Old 28-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Blown66
If its not blown it sucks

You can buy from Castlemaine Rod Shop a gearbox crossmember that will suit C4, BW35, 4spd single rail & toploader this will also allow you locate the 250ci with standard engine mounts as it has slotted mounting plate for th transmission mount.
Me personally I would be slotting in a little windsor/c4 and be done with it, the engine mount conversion is also available from CRS to do this as well.
Blown66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

3 speed auto on the original 170 can be done, but you need to find an adaptor plate to suit the narrow block 170.
Old 31-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
unclefarty

Redxm sugested a five speed, I've got an xm with 170 & 3.5 diff & five spd. it's the best all rounder I've got, give it some serious consideration.
unclefarty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just told him about redxm's and others info and he's ringing the early ford guy in Victoria for info and prices,p.s. i think his son wants auto only,just a side note,do any of you blokes have a pair of windscreen wipers for the XM?
cheers Nick
Old 31-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I would have a pair here. Ill drag em out over the weekend and see what they are like.