Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2023, 11:35 PM   #2431
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Oh, there wasn't investers in the 60/70/80's for eg ?.....and a fact.
The proportion of investors doubled in the 20 years since the early 90s. Not sure what's happened in the last 10 years, but I'd be surprised if it hadnt continued to rise.

https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/...c-housing.html
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 12:19 AM   #2432
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

that true I suppose, point I was trying to get across that we/me/you/them/kids have battles getting into buying property no matter when for there is always 1 or 5 others that have more $$$.
Lets not forget interest rates had been in a "peach" for around that time, especially post GFC 07 once things settled back again so could say 16yrs.
You didn't have to have a lot up front no matter who you were and age.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #2433
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Lets not forget interest rates had been in a "peach" for around that time, especially post GFC 07 once things settled back again so could say 16yrs.
You didn't have to have a lot up front no matter who you were and age.
Exactly. Let's not forget the Media and all the Current Affair viewers banging on about the interest rate rises. Did all these clowns think the term of there mortgage would stay at 1% ? We have been warned many times that the good times couldn't last forever...........
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 09:23 AM   #2434
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
We have been warned many times that the good times couldn't last forever...........
Good times??

Mortgage to income ratio is the highest it's been and 3% on $500000 is more than 17% on $50000.

The good times have been gone for many years.
Old 17-02-2023, 09:55 AM   #2435
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Good times??

Mortgage to income ratio is the highest it's been and 3% on $500000 is more than 17% on $50000.

And in 1985 I was earning $28k pa and now I'm earning Zilo's kid's-type money. Check
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #2436
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Good times??

If you haven't made a quid in this country in the last 15 years you
are seriously doing something wrong..........
Old 17-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #2437
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't read one media report where anyone has said rates shouldn't rise. I called it here back in Nov 2021 that it should have risen. People are cheesed off with the behaviour of the RBA, and rightly so IMHO.

Lets break it down.....

RBA has conceded that it was a mistake to make the 2024 forecast. Fair enough, think we can agree that was a fail. Did not revise the statement when they had data to suggest that the forecast no longer held true. Big fail. Data suggested that rates should have started to rise around Nov-Dec 2021, but they delayed the decision due to looming federal election. Given they are not supposed to be swayed by politics, that's another fail. Being late to the party, and now having to dish out 9 in a row playing catch up, possibly going on to 12 or 13, risks putting the country into recession, which is going to impact more than just recent home owners, massive fail.

Responsible recent home owners probably factored in 3 or 4 rate rises in a given year, not 9 going on to 12 . Not sure telling those people to "live within their means" will go down too well. Maybe I'll increase my rent 30% in a couple of months and tell my tenant to go live within his means. The RBA has given very little time for households and government policy makers to make adjustments.

Would love to see stats on spending and contribution to inflation vs age groups.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #2438
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

No one sounded the alarm bells for us back in the 80's/90's when we were crucified. It was just accepted casualties.

Rates go up 3% and suddenly the RBA/Federal Gov-Co are burnt at the stake. Go figure...
Old 17-02-2023, 09:10 PM   #2439
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are negatively geared it means your costs are more than the income you make for that property. Renters think that you as an investor should just be a good sport and take it on the chin

As I said before, play the game, not what you think it should be. By the way I'm not an investor and have none other than my own place but starting to rethink that.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 09:28 PM   #2440
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Haven't read one media report where anyone has said rates shouldn't rise. I called it here back in Nov 2021 that it should have risen. People are cheesed off with the behaviour of the RBA, and rightly so IMHO.

Lets break it down.....

RBA has conceded that it was a mistake to make the 2024 forecast. Fair enough, think we can agree that was a fail. Did not revise the statement when they had data to suggest that the forecast no longer held true. Big fail. Data suggested that rates should have started to rise around Nov-Dec 2021, but they delayed the decision due to looming federal election. Given they are not supposed to be swayed by politics, that's another fail. Being late to the party, and now having to dish out 9 in a row playing catch up, possibly going on to 12 or 13, risks putting the country into recession, which is going to impact more than just recent home owners, massive fail.

Responsible recent home owners probably factored in 3 or 4 rate rises in a given year, not 9 going on to 12 . Not sure telling those people to "live within their means" will go down too well. Maybe I'll increase my rent 30% in a couple of months and tell my tenant to go live within his means. The RBA has given very little time for households and government policy makers to make adjustments.

Would love to see stats on spending and contribution to inflation vs age groups.
You can blame the RBA as much as you want but in reality, people should know their own limitations and capacity to repay variable loans, also people should also be aware economy can be volatile at times.
As an example, who foreseen the Covid pandemic, the Russian Ukraine war which has greatly impacted budget blow outs and the rising costs of living.

In my opinion the feds are trying to deflect some of the blame onto the RBA as they are failing to keep inflation under control in this country.

To be honest the RBA is making decisions that has to be made whether we like them or not.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 10:44 PM   #2441
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
You can blame hold the RBA to account as much as you want but in reality, people should know their own limitations and capacity to repay variable loans, also people should also be aware economy can be volatile at times.
As an example, who foreseen the Covid pandemic, the Russian Ukraine war which has greatly impacted budget blow outs and the rising costs of living.

In my opinion the feds are trying to deflect some of the blame onto the RBA as they are failing to keep inflation under control in this country.

To be honest the RBA is making decisions that has to be made whether we like them or not.
Slight correction made above. Have said many times before, the issue isn't about needing to raise rates - I said they should have done it sooner, its about how it was done.

Covid - they get reports from the banks frequently, and would have known that deposits were being stashed and that the economy was flooded with cash from covid bail outs. Hey, you could even magically pull out $20k from your super, tax free, if you wanted to. Yet they never revised their forecast...fail.

Ukraine war - no amount of interest rates hike is going to fix cost of living increase due to the war, so not in the equation.

Had to have a laugh at the guvnor's forecast today...

Quote:
"There is a risk that we've gone too far and don't need to do anymore, that the economy will slow more than we expect," Dr Lowe told a parliamentary hearing on Friday.

"But there's also a risk that we haven't done enough, that inflation proves more persistent and doesn't come down. And our job is to try and balance those."
well, you can't go wrong with that forecast. Confidence fully restored. Bet the bond traders at the private lunch had more of an insight than that.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 18-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #2442
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

I'm just glad i dont have to pay rent.

Found out the townhouse two doors down is perma rented for $720 a week !!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2023, 05:41 PM   #2443
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

8 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #2444
John 13

Is it really a matter of interest? Considering eight nearby houses including ours, are occupied by twelve people. Most of these would be three to four bed one bath all on reasonable sized blocks. The area is within eight kilometres of the CBD. I estimate that up until forty years ago these same eight houses would have been home to at least twice as many people. Housing shortage ! Go figure.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #2445
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The bottom is in! Prices are starting to going up!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #2446
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s a big call. Just had someone else (angling to buy) telling me it will be September.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2023, 06:13 PM   #2447
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Yeh, no chance, still more cuts coming. People aren't hurting properly yet, that'll come though.
Old 24-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #2448
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh, no chance, still more cuts coming. People aren't hurting properly yet, that'll come though.
The committee who aren't very good at forecasting reckon full effect of rates won't be seen for 12-18 months. Borrowers, on average, are 12-18 months ahead on their payments. Although, with rates continuing to rise, its going to eat into that safety net a lot quicker.

Not seeing a slow down in spending. The big shopping malls are still chockers. Reckon the small independents will get hit first as people look to big chains for savings.

Rides (past and present)

Old 24-02-2023, 07:03 PM   #2449
prydey
Rob

RBA will keep going until inflation starts to ease or reverse. Blind Freddy can see that needs to happen.
Old 24-02-2023, 07:28 PM   #2450
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
RBA will keep going until inflation starts to ease or reverse. Blind Freddy can see that needs to happen.
Not quite. They'll be factoring how much of the inflation is coming from overseas, because they cant control that. The last thing they want is a recession while inflation is still ticking along.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2023, 11:56 PM   #2451
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It seems crazy but a bloke at work was saying the same thing today.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #2452
Techno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Anyone selling up to take advantage of the market or are people still happy to try get in or invest in a second property.
not in a million years
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2023, 06:39 PM   #2453
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the folks who aren't very good at making forecasts, aren't very good at interpreting data either. That or they were just batting for the blue team.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-...tion/102020610

Quote:
One of the biggest decisions the current board has made in recent times was the unveiling a 0.25 percentage point rate hike in May 2022, taking the cash rate from an historic low of 0.1 per cent to 0.35 per cent. It was the first time the central bank had raised rates since 2010.

A key part of its justification was that there was evidence of strong upwards pressure on wages growth.

Close to a years' worth of official data now shows that evidence was misleading — wages were not rising to any great degree.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the December quarter rose 1.3 per cent, bringing annual inflation to 3.5 per cent.

To be clear, before the Reserve Bank made any move on interest rates, inflation was already well outside the bank's own target band of 2 to 3 per cent.

The RBA eventually decided to lift the cash rate at its May meeting, several months after inflation showed signs of being a problem.

Rides (past and present)

Old 26-02-2023, 06:52 PM   #2454
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes... Sydney Inner West. People over the road rejected offers of $2.7m in December and sold last week for $3.25m. There was a flurry of bidding at the end. It wasn't even officially listed by the agent.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2023, 08:23 PM   #2455
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yes... Sydney Inner West. People over the road rejected offers of $2.7m in December and sold last week for $3.25m. There was a flurry of bidding at the end. It wasn't even officially listed by the agent.
Hmmm something tells me that dwelling was well and truly not for 1st home buyers.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #2456
zilo
BANNED

Next Tuesday will be fun...another RBA meeting.

If it gets to 6% i might put some money back in the bank instead of under the mattress.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #2457
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

If it gets to 6% i might put some money back in the bank instead of under the mattress.
They were thinking about 0.5 rise last month, but went with 0.25. Reckon they'll go 0.1 to 0.2.

Deposit interest of 6% will see mortgages hit +7.5%. And at that rate, someone on an average income taking out an 80 LVR loan on an average house price, will be putting 90% of their monthly wage to service a P&I......same as 17% in the early 90s.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #2458
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Well, you are being a mug to yourself if you have not already done so, the last 6 months I've been making good money with bank interest.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2023, 09:13 PM   #2459
Techno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Well, you are being a mug to yourself if you have not already done so, the last 6 months I've been making good money with bank interest.
Must be the first time you have made money with bank interest in more than a decade
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2023, 09:22 PM   #2460
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Where is dave289? Many years ago he had a lot to say about this subject.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/search...rchid=13647869

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post