Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default So what is "Deflation" ?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1227063772773
Can't say I've heard of "Deflation" before, other than a tyre going down..........

Old 19-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Default Re: So what is "Deflation" ?

Inflation is prices rising, deflation is prices falling.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For some people. Their assets can depreciate/deflate instead of only rise/appreciate in value. This is refereed to as deflation in the context of the general market.
Old 19-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am all for deflation. It will bring the value of the currency up, and everything in relation to it down. In simplified terms, everything becomes cheaper, and currency actually becomes a good investment, rather than investing in commodities like land, oil, gold etc. It's hard to do because in order to do it, there has to be less supply of currency and people would complain there isn't enough to be distributed to everyone. Most people look at $5 and say it's worth $5. They don't look at in terms of $5 could be worth 10L of milk or 5L of milk. They think in terms of "I just want more money." So they print more money, it becomes worthless, and you need more of it to buy things (inflation). Inflation encourages property investments and gives investors a sense of security. I'm more for flooding the market with resources, limiting supply of currency, and making everything cheap. Even though wages would decrease.

Last edited by chevypower; 19-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just posted that same news article up om another forum......Its looking like Europe is in for some hard times maybe even a GFC round 2???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GFC 1 was simply the transfer of debt from private hands to public hands...

GFC 2 will be a whole lot worse than GFC 1

Deflation was the precursor to The Great Depression - I don't think that was enjoyable by those that lived it.

Look at Japan deflation and now stagnation ... again, not ideal.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Some of you blokes must be fortune tellers or something.
I was having this exact discussion at work without even knowing about this thread!
I asked the exact same question, as a workmate and I were talking abut the ups and downs of the world.
Needless to say, I am now a little bit wiser..

Ed
Old 21-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What is Deflation?

Hmmmm, that would be a soft on.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will I lend money, if I get nothing back = who is going to lend and if so how much will they bother to.

If I get payed less, I can only buy less = ?

When they loose control over it, inflation will take off like it did in Germany after WW1.
Now they only had to deal with a 200% inflation not 20 or 30 % but only 200 %
Now that took a person like Hitler to stop that 200% and turn it around and he strengthened that nation to be so powerful that it scared the daylights out of the wealthy bankers that they had to created WW2 because there goose was cooked without a bloody war, as Germany would of wiped the floor with them down the track with out firing a shot.

It works like this, one is very wealthy and is only just a sly filthy cunning little criminal low life with no regard for others, just like a common criminal, as he is just a parasite who lives on the misery off others ( a blood sucking Vampire !! ) Dead to the world and their is the problem you see. one has to deal with such parasites because they will lead all others into hell. they are Diabolical blighted and malevolent as their works prove it.
Now did they led others astray with their workings, and who was looking out for the majorities best interest ? another bunch of Vampires ?
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
zdcol71
zdcol71

What the HELL have I just read, and can someone pinch me and tell me I'm on a car forum!!!
Old 21-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71 View Post
What the HELL have I just read, and can someone pinch me and tell me I'm on a car forum!!!
Pressing the release valve and letting air out in a tyre is called deflation.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Will I lend money, if I get nothing back = who is going to lend and if so how much will they bother to.

When they loose control over it, inflation will take off like it did in Germany after WW1.
Now that took a person like Hitler to stop that 200% and turn it around and he strengthened that nation to be so powerful that it scared the daylights out of the wealthy bankers that they had to created WW2 because there goose was cooked without a bloody war, as Germany would of wiped the floor with them down the track with out firing a shot.

It works like this, one is very wealthy and is only just a sly filthy cunning little criminal low life with no regard for others, just like a common criminal, as he is just a parasite who lives on the misery off others ( a blood sucking Vampire !! ) Dead to the world and their is the problem you see. one has to deal with such parasites because they will lead all others into hell. they are Diabolical blighted and malevolent as their works prove it.
Now did they led others astray with their workings, and who was looking out for the majorities best interest ? another bunch of Vampires ?

what?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Is that medication just a placebo?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I am all for deflation. It will bring the value of the currency up, and everything in relation to it down. In simplified terms, everything becomes cheaper, and currency actually becomes a good investment, rather than investing in commodities like land, oil, gold etc. It's hard to do because in order to do it, there has to be less supply of currency and people would complain there isn't enough to be distributed to everyone. Most people look at $5 and say it's worth $5. They don't look at in terms of $5 could be worth 10L of milk or 5L of milk. They think in terms of "I just want more money." So they print more money, it becomes worthless, and you need more of it to buy things (inflation). Inflation encourages property investments and gives investors a sense of security. I'm more for flooding the market with resources, limiting supply of currency, and making everything cheap. Even though wages would decrease.
Be careful what you ask for.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

castellan actually makes a good point because it was Germanys instability and inflation woes (among other things) that helped Hitlers party to power and thus WW2.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #16
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
castellan actually makes a good point.
Old 21-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
XW-BAXR6T

All im gonna say is this. Good luck to those of you who have large mortgages or debts...

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #18
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deflation, seeing a picture of Pauline Hanson naked...........
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David View Post
Deflation, seeing a picture of Pauline Hanson naked...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miij4vtTIV4
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #20
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
dare i click it?????????
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #21
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Most Aussies are so ignorant and hopelessly stupid it would take years for them to understand and that's only if they were willing to listen, but they are not willing, thinking she will be right mate type of foolishness.

History proves it all, and if you lack understanding of the history you will certainly repeat the same mistakes.

Ignorance is bliss some say. but when one comes a over t well
4 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
All im gonna say is this. Good luck to those of you who have large mortgages or debts...
I couldn't care for low interest rates. I see loans as no different than the dole. If not worse (using other peoples money to invest and indulge in commodities, rather than bread and water).

The only difference between banks and welfare is it's to feed you toys and greed and not bread and milk.. but yes most importantly you have to pay it back but..

That's kind've the entire problem, a lot of people don't as the law allows them to forclose on their debt and **** the world over and create a GFC. Scumbags with 95% LMI's risking/expanding everything on the brink getting way to ahead of themselves willing to risk it all at the expense of literally everyone.

Over-investing is the entire reason the GFC occured after all, if people can't pay it back don't lend it out simply because you're an apathetic pathetic bank who's willing to bring the world down and go into a GFC by giving loans to anyone off the street... as you're covered by the mortgage insurance and other arrangements that allow you to pass the buck onto the public..

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 22-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most Aussies are so ignorant and hopelessly stupid it would take years for them to understand and that's only if they were willing to listen, but they are not willing, thinking she will be right mate type of foolishness.

History proves it all, and if you lack understanding of the history you will certainly repeat the same mistakes.

Ignorance is bliss some say. but when one comes a over t well

dun diggit we don dard dot ourselvs anther bluddy communist!
Old 22-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This is exactly how the German people felt in relation to the zionist movement in Germany after the first world war. Racist Jewish Lawyers, Doctors, politicians at the top the German people were so downtrodden and robbed from their own country such a radical movement/one of the worst atrocities of all time was accepted by the public. If you were alive back then you could understand the need for the war (although nazi's are *** crazy with their propaganda/views and all).

So eventually it's only natural that Coles, Woolworths, Rupert and Gina will eventually push our very public into another final solution, if they keep milking/pushing the public to the brink like they once did 70yrs ago.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 22-09-2014 at 01:42 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Who said this thread couldn't get more wacky?
Old 22-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deflation is what should happen to prices when the government removes a tax or charge or tariff, and the input costs to companies become lower, so they can "deflate" their prices, lowering them, to encourage customer purchases because they can still make a profit.

You know, the same way that we've all seen electricity prices sharply dropping once the carbon tax was removed, or the way all imported cars will surely become cheaper when there's no locally made cars anymore and the government will therefore drop all protectionist tariffs and taxes as there's no local industry to compete with...

...erm...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Deflation is what should happen to prices when the government removes a tax or charge or tariff, and the input costs to companies become lower, so they can "deflate" their prices, lowering them, to encourage customer purchases because they can still make a profit.

You know, the same way that we've all seen electricity prices sharply dropping once the carbon tax was removed, or the way all imported cars will surely become cheaper when there's no locally made cars anymore and the government will therefore drop all protectionist tariffs and taxes as there's no local industry to compete with...

...erm...
Same thing with prices of refrigerant and carbon tax, it raised the price through the roof on r134a for cars, the prices of a regas went up through the roof to match.

But they didn't come back down when the carbon tax was removed and r134a went back to normal pricing.

Funny that.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #28
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why govt will do everything they can to stop deflation (including fubar everything)

you buy an investment (property for example) for 100,000. in 50 years time the house is worth 5 million as a result of inflation. but the actual value of the house hasnt actually increase very much in real terms - lets say its worth $130,000 in real dollars (price of the dollar when you first bought it).

So it really hasnt gone up that much in real terms but........ the govt wants you to pay tax on the 4.9 million profit you made . Are you starting to see the picture......

it gets better (for the govt)

When new money enters the system, the govt typically gets to spend it first (and the banks). So they increase the money supply but get to spend the money at pre inflation rates. You me and the postman typically get our extra money after inflation has increased prices (has you boss ever said, "hey, looks like inflation will be 10% next year, I had better get that pay rise in now" - dont think so.

and finally there's an even bigger kick in the nads. If the govt said they were going to tax every one 4% (or more) on every dollar they had (in the bank, in your pocket, in the back yard - doesnt matter) every one would go nuts. But this is effectively what they do via inflation. In 10 years your $100 might only be worth $50 - why? because some one made more $$$ available and who ever made those dollars is effectively taxing every one else that is holding dollars.

Now when you have deflation, things sort of work in reverse - like your house that you paid $100,000 for is only worth $80,000 in 50 years time. You get to claim a loss and pay less tax.

Which govt would allow that - none. Thats why the US has printed (i mean quantitative easing) about 3.5 trillion bucks since 2008.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^ which is why property is a "pretty safe" bet for investment. Government will do all it can to ensure property never becomes more affordable any sudden drop in property value would be an economic collapse.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR View Post
dun diggit we don dard dot ourselvs anther bluddy communist!
Seeing as what I wrote got wiped what I put before.

I will put another way, I look down on radicals and communist, the far left wing and it's cunning foolish narrow minded filthy little sicking grubs and also the far right wing scum bags I understand them to be the same underhanded type of criminal filthy little moronic grubs as the far left, but just set on another agenda of madness.

So if you say could bend the left and right wing around and make a circle say, then give it a face like that of a clock, 12 O'clock is where the left and right meet and the far left mob start from 12 and go to 3 O'clock and the far right start at 9 O'clock and go to 12 O'clock ?

Well I could be ok with the subject from 3 O'clock to 9 O'clock, so I can swing there but never on the others.

I support sound ethical capitalism our monarch and Christianity because they have foundations for a future of hope.

Does that make me a communist ? no not even a socialist !