Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #901
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

The plan was to build what we know as the ZB commodore locally.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #902
Vormund

The other car was either Equinox or the Cruze, both on Delta 2 platform. This was to take them to 2022.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #903
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
The other car was either Equinox or the Cruze, both on Delta 2 platform. This was to take them to 2022.
and in 2022, GM then would have announced the closure of the Elizabeth factory, with Holden in the same position as it is now.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #904
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Holden to auction several heritage cars from collection

Some significantly historic Holdens are up for grabs in a surprise auction

Eight separate listings on an online auction site suggest Holden is clearing some space in its heritage garage, with several ‘first’ and ‘last’ versions of some of its models joining some notable cars in being sold off.

According to the listings, the auction is set to begin on midday, November 18.

MOTOR has contacted Holden (and Manheim, which is undertaking the auction) in search of a reason for this sudden and rather unceremonious sale.

MOTOR has been able to certify via Manheim that the auction house has agreed to auction a specific set of Holden’s heritage cars in a sale.

Amongst the cars for sale is the first-ever Holden VFII Commodore Motorsport Edition, resplendent in Holden’s traditional red and showing only 9km on the odometer. The starting bid for the six-speed auto is listed at $65,000.

Car number one of 1200 built for Australia (another 151 went to NZ) is listed with 'SOLD ON BEHALF OF HOLDEN AUSTRALIA' in its description, as are the others Manheim is offering for auction.

Similarly, the first VFII Director, the Calais-V based executive sedan, is up for grabs (also starting at $65,000) also with just nine klicks on the clock.

The first copy of Holden’s acclaimed VF series, built in 2013, is also for auction, with a $30,000 starting bid and a mere 56km on its odometer. Also a six-speed auto, the first VF is a Calais-V painted in Prussian Steel.

Its VEII predecessor is also represented here, with the last VEII built (a 2012 SS-V in Chlorophyll Blue) up for grabs with a $45,000 opening bid.

If something a little rarer might take your fancy, Holden is also offloading its first V2 Monaro CV8, this one with 3742km travelled under the power of its 5.7-litre LS1 V8.

Bidding for the CV8 is set to begin at $40,000.

Some cars which have also undergone significant achievements are also included in the auction, like the 1995 Commodore VRII rally car driven by Ed Ordynski to victory in the 1995 Round Australia Trial, covering around 19,000km. The odometer shows 47,306km and bidding starts at $12,000.

A 1990 Barina which Holden used for a world record economy run and as a Round Australia Trial car is included in the auction, with a $5000 starting price.

Lastly, A 1980 VC Commodore driven around the country in 10 days by two motoring writers, Evan Green and Matt Whelan, features as the oldest member of the auction lineup, with $10,000 as its starting bid and with a relatively low (given where it’s been) 20,235km showing.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hol...ection-auction
Old 08-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #905
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

hmmm .. commodore sales numbers have just jumped up for Novembers stats.....!

is this a sign that the end is near? clearing the decks so to speak ?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 08-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #906
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Could be a sign that the end is closer than people think...
maybe making room for the first and last ZB sold.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #907
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, let's be honest, the Holden brand was only ever a post war marketing exercise aimed at giving Australians something to be proud of and in return secure employment.
It's not necessary anymore.

That it lasted 70 years is more of a surprise.

Whether GM continue to stay in our market is the bigger question for mine.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #908
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That it lasted 70 years is more of a surprise.
They almost died in the 1980s

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 08-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #909
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Are they that desperate for cash?

Read in the carsguide today that a ZB Calais has a redbook valuation of 17% after 5 years. Holy jeezus. They burned customers resale values hardcore by chopping the hell out of the RRP of the ZB, to clear that huge stockpile they had.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #910
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Are they that desperate for cash?

Read in the carsguide today that a ZB Calais has a redbook valuation of 17% after 5 years. Holy jeezus. They burned customers resale values hardcore by chopping the hell out of the RRP of the ZB, to clear that huge stockpile they had.

To be fair I don't think Mondeo fairs any better.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #911
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Surely it's not that bad. 17% is the lowest I have ever seen.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #912
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

quick check on car sales comparing Calais Wagon & Mondeo Titanium Wagon ( between 2018 / 2019 with less than 40,000 ks ) has a 4 grand difference in price in favour of the Mondeo for the cheapest available models of each. mind u there are 28 Mondeos compared to 68 Calais available,
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #913
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Could be a sign that the end is closer than people think...
maybe making room for the first and last ZB sold.
My thoughts also.

Wouldn't mind that Monaro to be honest.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #914
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
yeah but ZB sales would have to be ten times greater than Mondeo.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #915
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need a new family bus and was checking out the Acadia today at a small Holden dealer. Love the car. But the interesting thing was while there for 20 mins a couple of other families came into look at the Acadia and someone checked out a Colorado. Can’t draw any conclusions, but lately looking at other car makers yards it’s been pretty dead. Maybe life in the old girl yet.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #916
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The media doing it's usual job of telling people what they should think. Smacks of desperation.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...ac68d6a1ba4fef

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #917
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The media doing it's usual job of telling people what they should think. Smacks of desperation.

Yeah I saw that. Trying to drum up some extra sales... media still married to the Holden brand.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #918
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Need a new family bus and was checking out the Acadia today at a small Holden dealer. Love the car. But the interesting thing was while there for 20 mins a couple of other families came into look at the Acadia and someone checked out a Colorado. Can’t draw any conclusions, but lately looking at other car makers yards it’s been pretty dead. Maybe life in the old girl yet.
I think that the most compelling part of your story is how many other buyers
you didn't see at the Holden dealership. A few yeas back, Holden dealerships
would be abuzz with people coming and going, be it to look at new cars or to
get cars serviced or buying parts, don't see much of that anymore.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #919
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome

It is strange that they keep doing their part trying to support Holden, like they are still australia's own. That died the day the last VF went out the door at 'Lizbeth.

They are no more australian than any other brand, except the badges, which could be replaced with Chevrolet ones in a heartbeat.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #920
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
It is strange that they keep doing their part trying to support Holden, like they are still australia's own. That died the day the last VF went out the door at 'Lizbeth.

They are no more australian than any other brand, except the badges, which could be replaced with Chevrolet ones in a heartbeat.
Well look at that, we agree on something, who'd have thunk.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #921
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Not making excuses, but i guess it depends when you're looking.

With money tighter these days quite a lot of families are relying on 2 wages which in some cases can be rotating shift work, so the old days of shopping on a Saturday or late night shopping when the yards stayed open isn't as easy to do and weekdays are almost out of the question unless all the stars line up, this is why a lot of dealers offer to bring the car to you as it can be a logistical nightmare trying to arrange a time when it suits both partners.

I know when we bought our SZ last year we watched the car online for almost a fortnight before we could get a day when we could both go look at it and that had to be between my split shifts on a day when the Wife was off and even then it wasn't a simple process as I was given an additional last minute run which gave me 2 hours of wait time that just happened to be close to the dealer or it would have been another 2 week wait until the stars lined up again.

My neighbour does about an extra 10hrs a week after the dealership he works for just taking cars to customers who cant get to him, he's always bringing different cars home, which is a bonus for me as I get to drive the latest without the dealer hassles you get when you walk in off the street.

They've still been selling around 4k a month until recently which is more than many other brands, so people are still looking, the biggest problem is the size of the dealer network is unsustainable now that the numbers have tumbled.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #922
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not making excuses, but i guess it depends when you're looking.

With money tighter these days quite a lot of families are relying on 2 wages which in some cases can be rotating shift work, so the old days of shopping on a Saturday or late night shopping when the yards stayed open isn't as easy to do and weekdays are almost out of the question unless all the stars line up, this is why a lot of dealers offer to bring the car to you as it can be a logistical nightmare trying to arrange a time when it suits both partners.
When I was doing Driving Interstate and we wanted to buy something my wife would look at it when she had time I would the do the same when I got home.

We didn't feel that we had to both go at the same time. It's not that hard.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #923
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
When I was doing Driving Interstate and we wanted to buy something my wife would look at it when she had time I would the do the same when I got home.

We didn't feel that we had to both go at the same time. It's not that hard.
Agreed, but everyone is different.

When we bought the Picanto i'd seen it in the local shopping centre on a Thursday afternoon, spoke to the Wife about it when we both got home and went down to look and test drive that evening, unfortunately the Kia dealer didn't do late night shopping hours so we looked at a few on the yard and she told me to test drive myself.
Luckily the following day I had an hour spare so I called in during work hours in the bus, turns out the salesman was a driver in a previous life so we made small talk about the industry and I used it to my advantage, told him work was slow and I needed a cheap runabout and that i'd love the 3k dearer GT line but didn't know that it was a good move considering, he said what would it take to get you into one, I gave him a list of the extra's I wanted, my budget and he came back with a good price drive away.
I signed on the line and collected the car a week later.
I was on the yard in business hours for all of 20 minutes if you overlook the test drive.
I took it in for its first scheduled service last fortnight on a Monday, wandered around the yard whilst waiting, didn't see another customer other than others having services in the hour and a half I was there and Kia is one of only a few showing growth, go figure.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #924
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah it means nothing, just that day I went to Toyota and Honda they were both dead so I was expecting a ghost town at Holden. Anyway it doesnt mean much the rest of the week they may not have a single customer. I dont know. Just interesting seeing people looking at cars there and someone in an office looking like they were buying.

So much of the market is business, rental and government buyers anyway and they are not looking on a Saturday like us private buyers.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #925
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah it means nothing, just that day I went to Toyota and Honda they were both dead so I was expecting a ghost town at Holden. Anyway it doesnt mean much the rest of the week they may not have a single customer. I dont know. Just interesting seeing people looking at cars there and someone in an office looking like they were buying.

So much of the market is business, rental and government buyers anyway and they are not looking on a Saturday like us private buyers.
You only have to read posts from people like Timanhaley about how bleak Holden dealerships are, it may be different in Western Australia or South Australia where you have a lot more commercial fleet sales on your door step courtesy of mining but on the East coast, most things regarding Holden have changed immensely in the last two years,I've never seen a brand close up so quickly short of Opel.

With regard to October sales,
Quote:
Sales were down irrespective of buyer type. Private sales were down 5.2 per cent (35,395), business fleet sales fell 8.2 per cent (34,822), rental sales fell 27.2 per cent (6083), and government purchases dipped 7.3 per cent (3065).
I can see where a lot of the business appears to be fleet but I wonder how much of that hides vehicles as part of salary packaged, a subsumed group of vehicles presenting as work vehicles but actually someone's weekend getaway vehicle..

Last edited by jpd80; 11-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 13-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #926
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Holden expands it Maven car rental service to the general public.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/807458/...ntal-customer/

Translation - "we can't sell the cars, so will we rent them out instead".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #927
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Holden expands it Maven car rental service to the general public.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/807458/...ntal-customer/

Translation - "we can't sell the cars, so will we rent them out instead".
The cost to rent them is about what it would cost to get a loan for one. Only a bonehead would rent one long term.

There are exceptions like business's that might need a short term rental etc. But it's as financially sound as a rock for someone wanting a new car.
Old 14-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #928
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cost to rent them is about what it would cost to get a loan for one. Only a bonehead would rent one long term. .
The millennials that the 'scheme' is aimed at ……... are they the same ones who
seem to be always holidaying overseas, buying the latest phones, eating takeaway and Uber meals, complaining about rental costs, and not being able to afford to buy a house ? But there is always the Bank of Mum & Dad.

Climate change is going to make us all extinct by the time Greta finishes travelling the world extolling her views, but if it works for Holden in the meantime, smart move.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #929
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
limate change is going to make us all extinct by the time Greta finishes travelling the world extolling her views, but if it works for Holden in the meantime, smart move.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 14-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #930
hayseed

This Might Give Holden a Leg up..!! If It happens that is..??

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/che...O6k1tFqkaPrMj4
Closed Thread