Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default MORE One eyed car reviews.FPV GS /Holden SSV

just lookin at the dec copy of wheels where they do the comparison between the new FPV GS and the special edition SSV. The win does go to the ford in the end.. but not before them coughing and spluttering there way thu another anti ford drible.

For starters they go on numerous times through the article that the ford is slower of the line then the ssv. When u look at their drag stats they are IDENTICAL all the way to 60 then the ssv pulls amway fractionally, ending up with a comfortable win of a 2 tenths or so. So how did they work that out.Noobs.

But my biggest problem is the photos they use in the articl. i counted 6 holden dominate pages and 0 FPV dominate pages photograpically.Just to clarify to any pessimists, by this i mean photos with the holden at the front in full veiw an the FPV in the back gound..often even in a blur.
Now u would think withe FPV being the new title contender tothe allready existind ssv, they would perhaps show the FPV f a little more......

sorry bout the winge boys but it seems never ending with these clowns but i love a good winge for some reason :togo:

1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

I stopped buying wheels. My theripst suggested it to combat my high blood pressure and bad mood swings. Since then I have been fit as a fiddle.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The magazines never seem to learn that the engines feel different in both cars. I drive a lot of V8 VEs and they "feel" quite quick/light. Thats not to say they arent quick but compared to the Fords it feels a lot quicker. Its been proven that both cars are quite identical in performance.
They never seem to get this across probably why you hear all the Holden boys going on about how slow the Fords are.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Must have been another GM media special, the FG XR8's have been beating the SSV's let alone a 302 (Cough 315) powered version GS.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
For starters they go on numerous times through the article that the ford is slower of the line then the ssv. When u look at their drag stats they are IDENTICAL all the way to 60 then the ssv pulls amway fractionally, ending up with a comfortable win of a 2 tenths or so. So how did they work that out.Noobs.
Yep I noticed that when I was reading it in the shops, then I put it down and walked away.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
Yep I noticed that when I was reading it in the shops, then I put it down and walked away.
I used to walk up and buy Wheels and Motor. Now, i flick through for relevant articles.

I looked at the article, and although the win went to the FPV, just (i might add), reading it and their criticism of it and favouritism of SSV would make you think otherwise.

Oh and their 0-100kmh for the GS was about a second off from Motor did in the same car last month.

So, in the end, it was a no buy for me.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
I stopped buying wheels. My theripst suggested it to combat my high blood pressure and bad mood swings. Since then I have been fit as a fiddle.

We must go to the same therapist.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
qwiksix

I was reading that article at a carwash place. The way they were gushing about the Holden, and the times etc, I nearly fell off my chair when they gave the nod to the Ford in the end.

There didn't seem to be any reason or logic behind giving the win to the Ford at all. I guess they are just after some shock jock reaction. Maybe they should get Kyle Sandilands to do their reviews...
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^maybe it was a typo
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
BLKWDW

I used to be a one eyed holden supporter but of me furthering my knowledge of the so called dark side even i can now appreciate the good stuff that comes from the ford factory. Even i can see the platent favourtism of the holdens compared to fords in these magazine's despite who they give the win to.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
BLKWDW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Maybe, over the years, my hide has grown thick.

I didn't find the article to be too biased at all, well, not for Wheels mag anyway.

Like most comparos, whether they be car related, about boats, technology, houses, or whatever, it's someone dudes opinions. Only very rarely do I come across a comparo that is obviously impartial. Generally, you can call BS by the third or fourth paragraph, and that's ok, that's why we have our own brains, our own opinions, and can call on our own experiences.

I keep reading 'round this forum, guys that have fitted an exhaust or an intake, to a 4 or 5 year old XR8, that can now blow away a VE GTS, or a clubsport, or whatever. Their passion and brand loyalty is obvious, and we respect them for that, but the content of their comparo? More than a few of us can make our minds up.

The mags are nothing more than entertainment in my opinion.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

I didn't find the article to be too biased at all, well, not for Wheels mag anyway.

Like most comparos, whether they be car related, about boats, technology, houses, or whatever, it's someone dudes opinions. Only very rarely do I come across a comparo that is obviously impartial. Generally, you can call BS by the third or fourth paragraph, and that's ok, that's why we have our own brains, our own opinions, and can call on our own experiences.

I keep reading 'round this forum, guys that have fitted an exhaust or an intake, to a 4 or 5 year old XR8, that can now blow away a VE GTS, or a clubsport, or whatever. Their passion and brand loyalty is obvious, and we respect them for that, but the content of their comparo? More than a few of us can make our minds up.

Very true..
At the end of the day there are many factors we need to consider..
Brand loyalty will dictate the majority of sales regardless of magazine outcomes, and those few consumers who will genuinely cross shop brands will test drive and research further anyway, so really magazine articles serve only to stroke (or crush) fragile ego's, fuel pub debates and provide entertainment, or simply provide a starting point for interest, but nobody with that much money to spend would purchase solely off the back of a favorable magazine review or pretty fanboi commercial.. surely......

Old 13-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Deco28

Enough with the media special dribble.

All I hear is people going on about that, SHOW ME where the proof is.

I really want to know.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

I agree.
I read the said article and took it along with any other published article or TV based program.
They are not gospel, they are simply giving their opinion on the cars based on those vehicles given to them on a certain day.
It isn't biased, it just they're writing things you don't agree with, natural for people with a strong preference for one brand. Some of you guys, like the Holden crew need to realise the Falcon and Commodores are far from being a perfect car and there will be criticisms.

I was more surprised by the fact the Falcon was given the gong.
Old 13-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i switched from wheels to street commodores. less holden bias in street commodores
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Very true..
At the end of the day there are many factors we need to consider..
Brand loyalty will dictate the majority of sales regardless of magazine outcomes, and those few consumers who will genuinely cross shop brands will test drive and research further anyway, so really magazine articles serve only to stroke (or crush) fragile ego's, fuel pub debates and provide entertainment, or simply provide a starting point for interest, but nobody with that much money to spend would purchase solely off the back of a favorable magazine review or pretty fanboi commercial.. surely......
Why waste money on WHEELS MAG............If you want to read about FORD BIAS........ just log on here and go for your life.........

In my own personal experience with both FPV and HSV products.........there really aint that much in it......I would happily have either product in my garage.....the biggest debate is really about which colour scheme is prettier.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Chopped
as in chopped

Maybe they are both good cars.
Old 13-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Maybe they are both good cars.
Yep, exactly my point..............whether these ridiculous articles declare one the winner and the other the loser is pointless. Great V8's , glorious performance , fantastic aural delight and the absolute blatant disregard for Global warming..........makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside !!!!!!!!..........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They loved the Ford, gave the win to the Ford, yet they are biased against the Ford? Huh...?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Just got back from Peter Warren after having a nice leisurely browse around. They had a black GS parked out the front. I must say, I love the look of it.. inside and out. I really don't rate the looks of the SS or SSV's and, regardless of seat of the pants feel, I couldn't own a car I didn't like the look of. GS wins before I even turn the key. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
I stopped buying wheels.
Iv also stopped buying wheels and motor. Both rubbish.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Iv also stopped buying wheels and motor. Both rubbish.
Me too!
The only car mag that is worthy of the time to read from cover to cover most editions is Australian Muscle Car Magazine!
Has had articles on most everything thats been races on our shores!
Love it!
Wheels, Motor?
What are they?
Old 13-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

the reviews dont matter. if you like the ford you will buy it and the same goes for the holden.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yeah it just sucks tho because i still like to read as much info about all the new performance cars , especially the comparoes and there isnt much else around to fill that market.Seeing the insides,engines,running gear, new features and photos of these beasts in action is so hard to find else where so easy . that why it sucks so much. ahh well :togo:
Old 14-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, Im fairly lucky - wifey works at the local library and I am rewarded with every new monthly copy the library purchases of AMC, Motor, Wheels, Street Machine & Performance Ford before it hits the bookshelves.

Interesting to read - but purely for entertainment & lotto dreams only.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that there isn't much in it for straight line performance.

I'll have to read the article before I comment but generally I find Wheels (and Motor, in particular) to be reasonably biased-free.

It's the flogs that blog their way to fame (i.e. the so-called "journalists) on Carsguide and Drive that get my back up with their blatant pro-Holden write-ups.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
lightninGStrike FPV

Did you see the difference between insurance premiums. How they worked that out is beyond me :
Old 14-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Interesting that there isn't much in it for straight line performance.

Without pointing out the bleeding obvious there's far more to these cars than standing start straight line performance, and without having read the article does it also show rolling acceleration (a better performance indicator for cars like this IMO) or just standing start..?

Old 14-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Without pointing out the bleeding obvious there's far more to these cars than standing start straight line performance, and without having read the article does it also show rolling acceleration (a better performance indicator for cars like this IMO) or just standing start..?

calm down..dont jump the gun..in case u didnt notice, 80-120 is still done in a straight line haha. And every ford v holden performance comparo in history in these mags has more than just the 1/4 mile time bro

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 14-12-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 14-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
calm down..dont jump the gun..in case u didnt notice, 80-120 is still done in a straight line HA. And every ford v holden performance comparo in history in these mags has more than just the 1/4 mile time bro
You really make some bizarre posts at times...