Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2023, 08:58 AM   #31
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrpo View Post
Yep, the government fails to acknowledge 1200 to 1500 people are going to die in vehicles every year regardless.

I would say manufacturers have done their part around the modern cars with ABS, TC, SC, better suspension, radial tyres etc. The modern car is leaps and bounds from a 1950s model but speed limits are still the same. Poor roads in design and surface still prevail much the time, and governments just want everyone to drive slower and increasingly dumber so the speed camera click away.

If governments are that concerned with loss of life perhaps they could force manufactures to govern vehicle road speeds via satellite. Not many votes in that I imagine.

I feel a little uncomfortable saying it, but I have become one of those impatient lawless stupid drivers, and I'm 52. Where I am at least 75% of the road users do 10 -15km under the limit, and it seems the more powerful, prestigious, or sporty the car the slower they drive. These are not red or green P platers, they are open licence drivers of considerable time. But when you strike it 3/4 of the time it becomes a problem.

So I have taken to overtaking on double lines where practical, or get on the horn behind them, and of course tail gate. I figure if its acceptable for me to get fined for doing 4km over the limit, then its acceptable to harass people who do 10 or more under. Kind of a mutual road user respect thing.

I am not saying I am perfect and had thought it was my age (52) making me grumpy. But nowadays driving for a living it became painfully obviouse just how many people have been beaten into submission by the over use of speed cameras. Furthermore could not care less if they hold up other road users regardless of or whatever state of fear they are in.

The trick is to learn how not too be effected by these stupid people, harassing then is like pulling into the drive way, putting on your seat belt, or any other part of driving a vehicle. With intent, attention, and concentration.

So I would say the governments efforts to save lives and reduce accidents has a counter effect. Its like they have created driverless cars but still have the human running the show.
The closer you get the slower I go

I set cruise control to 100 which is actually 96

I listen to country music on the wireless

I'm in my mid 70s

I do all this to stay alive because SHE is in the passenger seat watching my every move
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 09:12 AM   #32
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Queensland drivers could be quizzed on road rules when they renew their licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Cav will fail both....
Fat chance
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #33
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I'm in my mid 70s

I do all this to stay alive because SHE is in the passenger seat watching my every move
Yep, that's something I've noticed when out on the freeway, the amount of modern cars travelling slower in the go lane. Usually catching and passing them in the analog Falcon doing the speed limit. (verified)
Happens to often to be just bad driving.

The earlier point about merging onto a freeway at 70-80km/h really gets on my goat.
Especially when driving a truck trying to bring it up to merge speed.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #34
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

This'll never happen, its just a talking point for a tried out old Govt who are only focused on one thing, the Olympics that onone wants....

They have so many issues on their plate too. Hospitals, Doctors Maternity, Roads, Housing, the Wellcamp issue & more.
Then there is the cost of power, they created. There is also the huge rain forrest area chopped down for a wind farm up north.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 12:16 PM   #35
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
This'll never happen, its just a talking point for a tried out old Govt who are only focused on one thing, the Anna Games that no-one wants....

There I fixed that for ya!!!!

Terry
tbro4123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #36
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, that's something I've noticed when out on the freeway, the amount of modern cars travelling slower in the go lane. Usually catching and passing them in the analog Falcon doing the speed limit. (verified)
Happens to often to be just bad driving.
I blame the adaptive cruise control in newer cars.
Set it 100kmh, get mesmerised by slower cars that you are following, then when you wake up, you realise are travelling at 80kmh.
Only used it once in a rented car. Hated it, and went back to 'driving' cruisecontrol-less
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Set it 100kmh, get mesmerised by slower cars that you are following, then when you wake up, you realise are travelling at 80kmh.
Only used it once in a rented car. Hated it, and went back to 'driving' cruisecontrol-less
We had a rental hybrid Camry in Perth recently and we noticed that with its cruise control, you set it to 110 and then suddenly you're doing 73 because the car is maintaining distance from the car in front thats travelling slow.

I hate that ****, give me normal cruise control.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 12:51 PM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Recent Kona I rented, managed to turn everything off but still had a stupid big blank screen blocking my vision.

Old 16-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I'm in my mid 70s

I had cruise control set on 113km/h by GPS on the Pacific Motorway out of Sydney last year and I was getting chopped by people left right and centre.

I only come across NSW HWP twice, once in Forster chasing some guy on a dirt bike in the industrial estate and a cheeky speed trap just out of Nambucca Heads BP - Chrysler 300 SRT headlight poking out of the bushes facing me.

I didn't mind driving around Sydney, everyone moves with pace and intent, people move off from the lights the moment they go green, rather than it goes green and 5 seconds later people start moving like in Melbourne.

Certainly a much better experience on their roads commuting around than what you get in Melbourne with everyone doing under the limit across multiple lanes.

Even in WA, heading towards the SW corner from Perth, all the freeways in mint condition and the people move at a faster pace, except for the odd slowpoke.

People rag on QLD drivers but I didn't have any dramas with them the two times I've driven up there, aside from me not following their ridiculous indicate left rule when going straight through roundabout.

Adelaide, they have the easiest roads to navigate but they love road rage, trying to cut people off in merging areas as well as no indicators and turn in roundabout from any lane, maybe its just the VIC plates on my car and I'm fair game.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-04-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 16-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I had cruise control set on 113km/h by GPS on the Pacific Motorway out of Sydney last year and I was getting chopped by people left right and centre.

I only come across NSW HWP twice, once in Forster chasing some guy on a dirt bike in the industrial estate and a cheeky speed trap just out of Nambucca Heads BP - Chrysler 300 SRT headlight poking out of the bushes facing me.
Imagine all the ones you didn't see.

Old 16-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #41
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:

Adelaide, they have the easiest roads to navigate but they love road rage, trying to cut people off in merging areas as well as no indicators and turn in roundabout from any lane, maybe its just the VIC plates on my car and I'm fair game.
It's not the VIC plates. The last thing you want to do in Adelaide is indicate your intention to change lanes because that ensures some inconsiderate d/head will do their best to box you out. Hence the no indicators and cutting off.
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #42
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We had a rental hybrid Camry in Perth recently and we noticed that with its cruise control, you set it to 110 and then suddenly you're doing 73 because the car is maintaining distance from the car in front thats travelling slow.

So.
Scenario 1
Lets say that you have a tired ankle from too much driving and also heel pain....again from too much driving.
You leave the Gc at 420 am to get to Bris for a 530 am work start.
You have 60 kms of lightly trafficed 1 and Logan motorway.
M1 set to active cruise at 110
Logan set to active cruise at 100
The whole 40-45 min 60 km trip didnt touch brakes or accelerator once.
Yes you have watch speedo and round up anyone driving slower.
Scenario 2
Local arterial rd two lanes each way divided road 70 km hr speed limit.
Cops with radars too frequently.
Set cruise at 70 if joe fxxxkwit in car in front is only doing 64 car drops to 64 and keeps set braking distance. No speed ticket no unwanted expense.

Most modern cars ahve option of setting active cruise control or normal cruise control.
I hate normal cruise control.
Active cruise works well in motorway work for light and middling traffic volumes.
In heavy traffic I switch it off.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 03:17 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
So.

Active cruise works well in motorway work for light and middling traffic volumes.
But it won't allow you to get up someones jacksy, flashing your lights for them get out of your way.

Old 16-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #44
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
That adaptive cruise control **** needs to be banned. Its friggin dangerous.

In the rental Hybrid Corolla we had driving back from Margaret River to Perth I had cruise set to 110km/h. Up ahead someone pulled onto the highway from a side road (a poorish decision on their part). There was no danger of a collision, I had plenty of time to do a headcheck and merge into the next lane without worry as I've done a million times before.

But this ****in car... As I was halfway across the centre line, 100 to 150m from the car, the stupid ****in thing slammed on the brakes, emergency stop style. Dropped from 110 to 60 very quickly. Almost caused a pile up behind me.

I had to swerve back into the lane I came from because the poor L-plater behind me swerved into the lane that I was moving into to avoid me.

If I had some pebbles in my jocks then I'm sure this L-plater had some runs down his leg.

I'm totally against driver aids of this type. Of any type these days really. Anything after ABS and DSC is completely questionable. All they do is desensitise drivers and make them lazy. Drivers rely on them too much and ignore the task of driving safely.

"Why did you merge into me you idiot, I was right there you should have seen me" Said the poor crash victim. "Oh, my lane change warning didnt tell me there was a car there so I went" said the lazy mofo.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #45
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah ebd can be savage -I am always ready to use the brake ahead of the acc.
EBD saved my bacon one day. An L plater merged right into my lane with out checking and my ebd came on and saved the day.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:28 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
That adaptive cruise control **** needs to be banned. Its friggin dangerous.

In the rental Hybrid Corolla we had driving back from Margaret River to Perth I had cruise set to 110km/h. Up ahead someone pulled onto the highway from a side road (a poorish decision on their part). There was no danger of a collision, I had plenty of time to do a headcheck and merge into the next lane without worry as I've done a million times before.

But this ****in car... As I was halfway across the centre line, 100 to 150m from the car, the stupid ****in thing slammed on the brakes, emergency stop style. Dropped from 110 to 60 very quickly. Almost caused a pile up behind me.

I had to swerve back into the lane I came from because the poor L-plater behind me swerved into the lane that I was moving into to avoid me.

If I had some pebbles in my jocks then I'm sure this L-plater had some runs down his leg.

I'm totally against driver aids of this type. Of any type these days really. Anything after ABS and DSC is completely questionable. All they do is desensitise drivers and make them lazy. Drivers rely on them too much and ignore the task of driving safely.

"Why did you merge into me you idiot, I was right there you should have seen me" Said the poor crash victim. "Oh, my lane change warning didnt tell me there was a car there so I went" said the lazy mofo.
Yep we were on the same trip in the same car - its absolutely ****e. Its also gutless AF and its like driving a park bench that handles like an inflatable jumping castle in cyclone Tracy.

Last night, going up the Crown Casino multilevel car park, up the ramp with the speed humps, it was a touch wet as it was raining.

Mates new Volvo, we're doing 5km/h cause speed humps, the moment the car detects the slightest amount of wheel spin happening as it went up and over the speed hump, it instantly cuts the throttle for about 5 seconds while the TCS light flashes so every time we go over the speed hump, the car just stops responding to all driver inputs on the throttle

So over the speed hump, then sit there for 5 seconds, then move off, then over the next speed hump, sit there for 5 seconds, then move off again

AEB can **** off I reckon, thats why the manual Subaru WRX is good because its a new car without that BS, it only has normal cruise control and gauges which have a real needle and numbers on them - perfect.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #47
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it won't allow you to get up someones jacksy, flashing your lights for them get out of your way.
Normal cruise control will let you drive right over the top of them the ultimate punishment for underspeeding.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #48
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep we were on the same trip in the same car - its absolutely ****e.

Last night, going up the Crown Casino multilevel car park, up the ramp with the speed humps, it was a touch wet as it was raining.

Mates new Volvo, we're doing 5km/h cause speed humps, the moment the car detects the slightest amount of wheel spin happening as it went up and over the speed hump, it instantly cuts the throttle for about 5 seconds while the TCS light flashes so every time we go over the speed hump, the car just stops responding to all driver inputs on the throttle

So over the speed hump, then sit there for 5 seconds, then move off, then over the next speed hump, sit there for 5 seconds, then move off again

AEB can **** off I reckon, thats why the manual Subaru WRX is good because its a new car without that BS, it only has normal cruise control and gauges which have a real needle and numbers on them - perfect.
You didnt get the memo Franco most new cars you can use either active or normal cruise.
My 32k Puma has that option.
And digital speedo shirts all over dial speedos.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #49
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post

Exactly why my industry is booming , if everyone did what they were supposed to, I would be on the dole.

It doesn't matter how many driving aids a car has, they are no good if you don't know how to use them correctly.

the problem is giving these stupid people a licence in the first place, it should be like a demerit point set up 3 at fault crashes in a set period and you lose your licence and have to resit it.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 03:38 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You didnt get the memo Franco most new cars you can use either active or normal cruise.
My 32k Puma has that option.
And digital speedo shirts all over dial speedos.
Which button do I press to turn off radar cruise control

I like my ute, cruise control is my right foot and ABS is also my right foot
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #51
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have said the correct way to use a lot of them is turn them off.
As in Franco s volvo story there is a little button to turn tcs off.
Lane centreing in another one switch off.
Active start stop switch off.
But aeb ebd blis (blind spot assist) reversing camera s are all useful -the key is rely on all factors just not tech.
Frequent mirror checks safe following distances using left and right mirrors as well as camera screen when reversing etc etc.

Another one is peeps driving with is with those hearing thing os to listen to music etc missing traffic noises which might be a clue to something untoward.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:42 PM   #52
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

lift foot off accelerator.
touch foot brake lightly 3 times.
turn wipers on
and wind windows down.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:42 PM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Normal cruise control will let you drive right over the top of them the ultimate punishment for underspeeding.
What's cruise control ?

Nah just need to practice my pit maneuvers more.

Old 16-04-2023, 03:45 PM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

I like my ute, cruise control is my right foot and ABS is also my right foot
and proper wind up windows, but still looks a little to modern for me.

Old 16-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
and proper wind up windows, but still looks a little to modern for me.
They even work when the car is off, wow!
Old 16-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #56
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2023, 03:49 PM   #57
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One less electrical unit to fail.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:52 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My point is I shouldn't have to turn them off every time I start the car, or have to turn off TCS when going over speed humps on a wet ramp - my Focus has TCS and its not on a hair trigger like the Volvo variant where it comes on the moment it detects the slightest amount of wheel slip.

Mazda is another brand which used to make great drivers cars pre and during their 'zoom zoom' era, then they drank the kool-aid and started making absolute potato cars devoid of all steering feel and programmed drive by wire to kill throttle response and make it real doughy and **** to drive.

The 00s Mazda 3 was a fantastic fun little car to scoot around in, then the 2016 era stuff they nerfed the crap out of all the good stuff in the Mazda 3 and 6 and now they're gormless potato cars.
Old 16-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #59
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What’s he got
An xc40
?
In the Fords a lot of this stuff you can switch it off once and you don’t have to do it each trip lane centreing being one
Old 16-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #60
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah ebd can be savage -I am always ready to use the brake ahead of the acc.
EBD saved my bacon one day. An L plater merged right into my lane with out checking and my ebd came on and saved the day.
I can understand features like that have a place in the unexpected. But they shouldn't be designed to completely remove control from the driver, which in this case it did.

When I saw the other car pull out my foot was hovering over the brake pedal. I checked my mirror, blinker on, head check and started to merge. The entire time my foot was over the brake. I was ready for something stupid to happen.

I would have fully merged into the next lane without issue until the car decided I was doing something unsafe and took control away from me. As I said, something I've done safely a million times before.

And this was with the thing set at a least sensitive too. At maximum sensitivity it was just a ridiculous hinderance. It was constantly on the brake keeping 200m between you and the car in front.

It works on a presumption the driver is a moron and is driving poorly. No allowance that the driver is fully in control and knows more than the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Exactly why my industry is booming , if everyone did what they were supposed to, I would be on the dole.

It doesn't matter how many driving aids a car has, they are no good if you don't know how to use them correctly.

the problem is giving these stupid people a licence in the first place, it should be like a demerit point set up 3 at fault crashes in a set period and you lose your licence and have to resit it.
We had a VF SS in Melbourne a few years back and I was stunned how many aids were built into that car. Collision warnings, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, too close to whatever warning. The thing just beeped and beeped, it was like I was sitting in a hospital ward. After about 10 mins novelty factor I had to switch everything off. ****in BS trying to tell me how to drive. The only worthwhile feature was the HUD, that should be standard in every car.

As a people and a species we are apparently smarter than we have ever been. But in reality it seems we are regressing into stupidity, but at the same time maintain an arrogance that this is not the case.

The Courier Mail had a 10 question quiz on road rules recently, in wake of this licence quiz. I was stunned at the amount of people picking the wrong answer.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post