Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default Look what the mailman gave me 2day

Im gonna put it in 2moro. Lets see what diff it makes

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
tabaccs

Is nice.. How much?

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

200. posted

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 20-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

for all those people in the world that lack the intelligence to figure out what the hell they are IE me... would you mind explaining rofl. im guessing some sort of cam pully system.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Underdrive pulleys.

As I understand it, designed to "underdrive" accessories (air con? alternator? power steering?) that "rob" power from your engine.

They are also lighter than stock, and therefore theoreticaly less rotating mass to move.

I just always worry about what impact it has on the effectiveness of those "accessories"

But I stand to be corrected
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

As usual melbzetec is spot on. They are underdrive pulleys. The smaller one is the smaller crank pulley and the bigger one, the bigger water pump pulley.

This is to keep the stock belt. Earlier UDPs were just one smaller crank pulley and a smaller belt.

PROS: The pulley is supposed to give a 4-5 BHP increase. May be a bit more towards the bottom end. The engine also reaches the powerband faster coz of lower rotating mass

CONS: The stock crank pulley has a built in harmonic balancer which the aftermarket ones lack. This balances out any harmful vibrations during high speed operation (around 4000-6500 rpm). But my car rarely sees that sorta rpms, hence the punt

Even though the accesories are underdriven, theres hardly any diff, unless u got a very powerful sound system. Even if u got one, U might notice slightly dimmer headlights, if u got the system at full blast. Thats it.

Anyway as said Im going to put em in 2day. So in a few hours time ill (we'll) know if it was of any worth.

Old 20-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
simonr
Focus Rookie

Wow, How much to put it??

Let us know what gains u get!?
Old 20-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Took it to ford first. I hate to say this again n again. But y do ford have to be soooooooooo bad in customer handling. They gave me a big lecture abt why i shudnt b doing this and how they think it wudnt bring any gains....blah blah blah.....and guess what? they wanted my car for atleast 4-5 hrs...." u dont understand what kinda work is involved...its not as simple as u think.....dunno who told you its just gonna take an hour......" :

SOOO much so that I said ill try somewhere else. Then went to ultratune. Explained them once, tried giving them the instruction sheet that came with it...they said " its not rocket science we'll figure it out" They didnt even look at the sheet.

20 minutes later (yes just TWENTY) and 50 bucks spent Im driving back home...Hows that!!!!!

Ok its definitely made a difference in the way the car revs...revs pickup quickly and pulls strongly esp in low revs. 2000 rpm in 5th gear doing 80...just a little press of the pedal, I can feel the car really PULL to 90, than just amble.

Gains? Dunno may be 5-8 bhp at around 2000-2500 rpm (thats where the car feels a lot stronger) may be more. Theres a dyno chart in focus sport site which is for the single pulley. The crank pulley in the twin pulley system is slightly smaller. So the gains wud be a little more than that

The steering has become a bit tighter and feels a bit more direct. I like it
Am I happy?...VERY VERY happy

Old 20-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
Took it to ford first. I hate to say this again n again. But y do ford have to be soooooooooo bad in customer handling. They gave me a big lecture abt why i shudnt b doing this and how they think it wudnt bring any gains....blah blah blah.....and guess what? they wanted my car for atleast 4-5 hrs...." u dont understand what kinda work is involved...its not as simple as u think.....dunno who told you its just gonna take an hour......" :

SOOO much so that I said ill try somewhere else. Then went to ultratune. Explained them once, tried giving them the instruction sheet that came with it...they said " its not rocket science we'll figure it out" They didnt even look at the sheet.

20 minutes later (yes just TWENTY) and 50 bucks spent Im driving back home...Hows that!!!!!
Never take it to Ford man I thought that was know especailly if you are modifying.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Yeah my guess was they'd know better abt the car than others. I cant see what their prob is. Im sure i wudve ended up paying twice that at ford which I was ready to. Even then y such fuss?

Where is the "Customer is the king?"

Old 20-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Marshy79

Good news on the easy install.... utlratune ive only delt with once.. .and man i was impressed.

Glad you got a fair deal and things were easy sorted.

Bad news for Ford once again.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
simonr
Focus Rookie

awesome man! was thinking of doing this myself.. but i thought it rendered your accesories barely usuable...

I shall seriously consider forking over some of my next pay day!
Old 20-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
simonr
Focus Rookie

For everybodys reference

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=3 Installation Guide

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=19 <-- Underdrive Pulleys