Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default LS Focus (LX) Sedan Audio System??

Just wondering how many speakers+size+quality (I'm assuming not the greatest quality, like most factory speakers...) I know the sedan has speakers in the front+rear doors, but not sure about other locations (rear shelf??)

Also, is it possible install a aftermarket head unit (and buy a new facia to fill in the extra DIN space) and still use the factory steering wheel controls?? I had a look at the Aerpro site for harnesses for the LS Focus (see link below - enter Ford 2005 Focus to get to the right page)...they sell them, but it doesn't mention anything about using steering wheel controls

http://www.aerpro.com.au/vrg.php

Also, have anyone heard anything about changing to the Factory Sony Focus headunit as fitted in the UK Focus in Oz?? As per link:

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115473

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 31-03-2006 at 10:42 PM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Forest Bear

Six speakers in total. All mounted on the doors.

A really good car-audio installer will be able to do just about all you might want. Better speakers, head-unit, rewire the steering controls etc. But. You may find that he/she don't want you around when he works the magic because you might get a heart attack just watching and hearing the butchery required to achieve desired car audio set-up.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Thanks Forest Bear

I've seen the speakers on the doors in some pics of the interior...towards the front of the door at the bottom - where abouts is the third set?

Also, if known, what size are they??
Old 31-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Forest Bear

The front has a tweeter in each of the A pillars next to the side mirrors. They're classified as speakers. Then four large speakers in each of the doors. So thats six speakers. The larger ones are probably 4 or 5 inch speakers.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks again Forest Bear!

Have now discovered speakers in doors are 5x7's

Luckily with later model Commodores using this size you can find them easily enough. Would rather use 6.5's though...
Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
Parasite

You should be able to fabricate an MDF spacer to accomodate 6.5" round speakers
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Thanks again Forest Bear!

Have now discovered speakers in doors are 5x7's

Luckily with later model Commodores using this size you can find them easily enough. Would rather use 6.5's though...
Hmm... the ones in my hatch are 4 inch I think. Are you sure they are 5x7s? I wouldn't think Ford would do 2 different speaker sizes.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The LS door speakers arent too bad quality at all they just don't like having alot of bass run through them, tomorrow i'm installing 2 12 inch subs with the stock door speakers and i'm running the bass thru them and the treble thru the doors.

when it's all done i'll post some pics and i'll also give a short review on how it sounds, much easier than screwing around with the headdeck and door speakers too much...
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

A simple speaker change and sticking with the factory headunit will DRAMATICALLY imporve your sound quality whilst retaining full factory head unit and remote on the wheel. Zetec20's idea sounds like a good solution without being too costly, I used to have a 10 inch 600w sub wired into my old Festiva, it could still go into my car now, just need a simple amp but it's on the agenda.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I used to have a 10 inch 600w sub wired into my old Festiva, it could still go into my car now, just need a simple amp but it's on the agenda.
2 things wrong with this.

1) you had a festiva, and have admitted to it.
2) you had a sub in said festiva.

i thought you looked a little funny last time matt.........
Old 02-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

3) The Festiva was manual
4) Your Focus is auto
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good comebacks by both of you. Luv it!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
3) The Festiva was manual
4) Your Focus is auto
5. Manual is for those who constantly need to feel a stick in their hands.
6. Yes it is, cos im lazy.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

7. You saying your missus doesn't like the feel of stick in her hand?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #15
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Maybe she's forgotten
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol quiet kids, we did the boot install yesterday with the 2 subs and the monoblock amp, i'll try and tidy up some of the currently crazy wiring this afternoon and get some shots to post up here, the subs aren't completely run in yet so they're still a little too punchy but they're more than loud enough at the moment. They've also turned the non-supportive seats into massage chairs!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #17
BlackLS

Its pretty difficult for a new head because the standard head unit is wider than the standard din-width. A 7" LCD touch screen would fit pretty nicely though
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #18
kcbworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Its pretty difficult for a new head because the standard head unit is wider than the standard din-width. A 7" LCD touch screen would fit pretty nicely though
anyone seen any of them for sale? it would be interesting to see what is actually available.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Thats why I'm considering a factory premium-sound head unit, per pic + link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Late-Ford-Focu...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.ford.co.uk/spg/getImage.a...28_0_19548.jpg

The installation is also discussed here: http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115473

Regardingthe speaker sizes...I'm only quoting what I've already read...I hope I'm wrong!! I would like them to be 6.5 inchers.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Taken from ffoc.co.uk:

A quick guide to putting together a good, basic system.
First off - a few things to remember. The speakers in all models of the Focus are 5" x 7" ovals. Autoleads make an adaptor to fit 13cm speakers for the Focus, and they do one for the Mondeo that allows the fitment of 17cm speakers which works well in the Focus. Also, you can make your own out of MDF to fit any size speaker up to 17cm.

Also, a quote from John Ruskin:

"It is unwise to pay too much but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money....that is all. When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the things it was bought to do."

Remember that! Spend wisely over time and the end result will be spot on

Head Unit
A good CD head unit will start the system off nicely. Spend around £200 or so if possible and think about your current and future plans when choosing. Look at the number of pre-outs, the pre-out voltage, security (removable face?) etc etc
Good brands to look at are: Alpine, Blaupunkt, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood and Pioneer.
To fit an aftermarket head unit into the Focus, you will also need an ISO Adaptor (converts Ford specific wiring into standard used by most units) and a Facia adaptor, to fill the hole left by fitting a smaller unit. ISO adaptor will set you back around £15, Facia adaptor will cost around £10 for a black one or £15 for a silver one.

Would our SA built Focus be any different in regards to speaker size?

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 03-04-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #21
Parasite

I would get new speakers before a head unit. You might like the improved sound just from this change. If not then buy an amp to drive them properly.

A new head unit would be the last thing on my shopping list because without the first two items I think I would be unlikely to be able to pick the difference in quality.
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Not doing anything just yet (car hasn't even been delivered yet!!), but am just looking at my options.

For me, changing the factory speakers is ALWAYS the first thing to do when making any changes to the factory system...planning on replacing speakers + speaker cable first, then work from there..
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #23
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hold on hold on, when i took off the rear door cards the other day in my car the speakers were definately not 5x7 ovals they were 6 or 6 1/2 inch....
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
hold on hold on, when i took off the rear door cards the other day in my car the speakers were definately not 5x7 ovals they were 6 or 6 1/2 inch....
If thats true I'll be VERY happy. If/when you get another chance to get the door cards off again could you measure??
Old 13-04-2006, 12:14 AM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

LR have 5 x 7's, for LS I don't know what they have. They're round though from memory...
Old 13-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #26
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
LR have 5 x 7's, for LS I don't know what they have. They're round though from memory...
...thats a good start
Old 13-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #27
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol i don't need to pull the cards off again for a while, all you gotta to is pull off the plastic cover on the handle and undo 2 screws, and the rest of the door card just pulls off, don't be afraid to use a bit of force because it requires it
Old 14-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #28
BlackLS

LS Focus: Rear doors are almost certainly 6.5", mounted on a platic pod (or the pod is part of the speaker construction. These are Mid-Low drivers.
Front foor: Another mid-low driver, 6.5". Up near the door pillars are tweeters.

There your standard stock cardboard speakers, and if you were to upgrade the sound, id choose to do replace the speakers. Get some nice front splits and 6.5" woofers for the rear if you can find one. If you have audiophiones constantly in the back, perhaps think about splits in the back as well (on the pillar face the tweeters towards the back seat and not into your ear.) These are my next mods.

Upgrading your stereo, Zetec20 has mentioned to me the new xr5 willl be using the Sony 6 stack, so check these out first. if you want LCD, go onot ebay and search "Lilliput touchscreen". You'll also need a carputer so checkout mp3car.com as well (theres tutorials on how to mould a screen into your dash.

If you just want to use a DVD/MP3 head unit and the screen, mount the head unit down near the ciggarette lighter(power supply) in that area. (youll need to cut)
Old 14-04-2006, 02:45 AM   #29
BlackLS

PS Russ, most aftermarket head units come with IR remotes, so you shouldn't have to worry about wiring the steering column mounted controls up.
Old 14-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #30
kcbworth

If i can get a hold of the Sony 6 stack that comes with the XR5T does anyone know if it will be able to hook up to the Aux input in the glovebox?
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post