Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #301
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Where was this at? Byrne Ford? Is it made in China?
China doesn't build RHD.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #302
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where was this at? Byrne Ford? Is it made in China?
Yeah Byrne Ford, but Metro Ford have two in stock now as well. Not sure where it’s made but I’d guess Germany too. Be interesting to see how it goes...
Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #303
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I don't really understand why they have even bothered with the Ambiente, they certainly don't seem to be interested in selling it by the sound of things......

“It’s a lower-priced, obviously entry-level model,” he said. “But private buyers aren’t looking for that, and we’re not looking to do big fleet deals on a car like that.” “Ambiente is not in as a fleet special or anything like that and we don’t think it will find a lot of private buyers anyway – there’s just a small batch that came in that we’re retailing."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #304
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like leftover parts inventory from the previous gen Focus that they want to get rid of.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #305
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I'm wondering if it was a stuffed up order on Ford Australia's end. Not the first time they have done this with Focus.
Mustang GT

Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #306
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I don't really understand why they have even bothered with the Ambiente, they certainly don't seem to be interested in selling it by the sound of things......

“It’s a lower-priced, obviously entry-level model,” he said. “But private buyers aren’t looking for that, and we’re not looking to do big fleet deals on a car like that.” “Ambiente is not in as a fleet special or anything like that and we don’t think it will find a lot of private buyers anyway – there’s just a small batch that came in that we’re retailing."
Could it be that the profit margins on it are non-existent/small ,so it's hardly worth selling? Just gives them a lower price entry point that looks good on paper, and might bring some people in the door where they can try to upsell to the Trend?

Or just some excess production they have taken on to clear some stock from the UK.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #307
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Could it be that the profit margins on it are non-existent/small ,so it's hardly worth selling? Just gives them a lower price entry point that looks good on paper, and might bring some people in the door where they can try to upsell to the Trend?

Or just some excess production they have taken on to clear some stock from the UK.
This AMBIENTE model is just odd, really odd.

90kw and 150nm at 4500 rpm just is pathetic compared to all other brands.

Think you may be right its just a dump of stock that wouldn't couldn't sell in some other RHD market.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #308
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Think you may be right its just a dump of stock that wouldn't couldn't sell in some other RHD market.
Don't be so sure about that. The Focus is assembled in Thailand and the engine is built in India. So, there's a massive RHD market for a basic Focus model. It still doesn't explain why we have it here. Seems totally unsuited to this market.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #309
CatonaPC©

Australian road test of Active: https://www.caradvice.com.au/762838/...active-review/
Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #310
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
The Focus is assembled in Thailand.
Not anymore. Both the Fiesta and Focus aren't even sold new in Thailand now, it's a Ford Everest / Ford Ranger affair only. They seem to have followed the path of Ford US though by offering the Mustang too.

Great review on CarAdvice for the Active, it really seems to tick lots of boxes. CarsGuide have their review live too, but it isn't as glowing. Funnily enough the Focus ST-Line came dead last in their recent 'sporty hatch test.' It's just weird as the car they had on demo is the same as the Drive.Com.Au test, where the car was praised immensely and came first?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...5-evolve-74829
Old 07-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #311
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Not anymore. Both the Fiesta and Focus aren't even sold new in Thailand now
Well, that will teach me to rely on Wikipedia!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #312
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, that will teach me to rely on Wikipedia!
Yeah be interesting to find out where the SA focus Ambiente is made. youa re right on the motor -a dragon motor made in India.

I note you have a LZ 2015 and are switching to a SA model Focus Active.
It is an impressive thing that Active.
I also have a 2015 LZ but I cent stretch to Fords premium pricing regime will probably go to a Suzuki swift sport or a Zb Commie next.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #313
CatonaPC©

Quote:
It is an impressive thing that Active.
I also have a 2015 LZ but I cent stretch to Fords premium pricing regime
Don't be discouraged by the price. This is one nice car. Sure, you can buy something with the same features for cheaper, but it's not a Ford. And is very distinctive from the usual run-of-the-mill Asian makes. If it is out of your budget, just hold off for a little while longer until the car has been around for a while; you might get a better deal.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #314
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't disagree with you. The Focus is a great car. I had a 2003 a 2006 a 2008 and now a 2015. But...…...they all cost about 22k.
I need the extra (35-22) for my retirement!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #315
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. The Focus is a great car. I had a 2003 a 2006 a 2008 and now a 2015. But...…...they all cost about 22k.
I need the extra (35-22) for my retirement!
If you’re flexible on specs / colours on a Trend, pretty sure you could wrangle a dealer to mid $20’s, maybe even lower. Dealers also have registered quite a few for loan cars so there will be a flock of demos online soon I’m sure. They’re not exactly flying off showroom floors. That’s what I’d be doing
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #316
cappie

Can someone explain to me how to keep my autoheadlights turned off?
Whilst the car is on I turn the headlight switch to the off position, I then turn off the ignition, lock and leave the car, I then unlock the car and the switch is back to auto. How can this be disabled?
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #317
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I just noticed the Mk IV Focus is now known as the SA here in Australia.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #318
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
I then unlock the car and the switch is back to auto. How can this be disabled?
There is a setting for auto lamps delay. Perhaps setting this to zero might do the trick.
Old 15-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #319
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it seems a few on here have had their Focus for a few weeks, any feedback from owners, negative or positive? I've had a good look at some of the competition (no driving) and interested to hear thoughts. Not a huge fan of car reviews as I feel like they just as biased spec guides these days.
Old 15-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #320
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
So it seems a few on here have had their Focus for a few weeks, any feedback from owners, negative or positive?
Only had ours for a week and a bit, so too early to say. I have an Active with the Driver Assist Pack.

First off, I really don't recommend anyone buying a Focus without opting for the Driver Assist Pack. I really think it should have been standard across the range, but Ford clearly want to keep the entry level price of each model under a certain price point, and hope buyers opt for the extras. Most buyers, I presume would. Even if your budget is tight, an extra $1250 for safety pack won't make too much of a difference to your repayments.

Compared to the LZ Trend, the Active initially feels completely familiar. Handling and road holding is very good. The delay in gear selection from R to D to R isn't apparent in my vehicle, but a couple of other owners have experienced a delay.

Initial gripe: the driver side mirror can block out a significant view of traffic from your right, especially if you're height challenged. This is not an issue exclusive to this car, as plenty of other makes are just as bad or worse. One way to minimise this is to raise the seat height.

Overall, this car is a gem. There's plenty of legroom up front and rear, unlike the LZ, where the rear legroom was compromised. I can say that after a week of ownership that there isn't much to not love about this car.

I might also suggest that those in the market for an ST-Line hatch take a look at the Active. I've driven both and there is little difference between the two. but the Active sits higher and might suit anyone whose driveway might be a bit challenging for a low slung car like the ST-Line; even the Titanium is a bit on the low side.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #321
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well that didn't last long!

https://www.caradvice.com.au/767928/...ithin-a-month/

Adds weight to my theory that the Ambiente was a botched factory order.
Mustang GT

Old 20-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #322
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Well that didn't last long! Adds weight to my theory that the Ambiente was a botched factory order.
The leaked dealer bulletin from the 2018 Focus launch listed the Ambiente, saying it would be launched early 2019. But it listed no further details. My guess is Ford we’re forced to take the car (a lot of the Ambiente models appear to be January build) but somehow got out of making it a full time model.

Let’s be honest, Focus sales are dismal. Looking at the prices dealers have demo models listed on Car Sales for is depressing, surely they’ll either just drop the model or actually do some solid advertising? It’s a great car that just needs some extra standard equipment and a solid marketing campaign...
Old 20-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #323
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford did some advertising before the car launched and now it’s zero. IMO the Focus brand has been ruined by the transmission problems. It’s going to be very hard for Ford to get past that even if it’s a good car.

Just go to Ford’s social media posts and you’ll always find people banging on with negative comments about the transmissions. Whether it be people just being negative or disgruntled owners who didn’t get help from Ford. It still happens.

The owners that think it’s a great car would help Ford with sales if they just told friends and family. Word of mouth is everything these days.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #324
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is so hard to build a good reputation but so easy to loose it. Most of our former local manafacturers have not yet made a good adjustment to being pure importers.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #325
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
It is so hard to build a good reputation but so easy to loose it. Most of our former local manafacturers have not yet made a good adjustment to being pure importers.
Holden in particular (Ford are doing better). Toyota have hardly been affected.
Old 22-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #326
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus should have a 4 cylinder engine not a 3 cylinder motorcycle engine. Longevity will be interesting.
Old 22-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #327
CatonaPC©

Question Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Focus should have a 4 cylinder engine not a 3 cylinder motorcycle engine.
Why? Plenty of very reliable 3-cylinder motorcycle engines out there. In any case, this engine has been around for a while now as the 1.0L Ecoboost which had some initial problems sorted out by now. The 1.5L is based on that engine with further improvements. Time will tell of course, but there is no reason to believe a 4 cylinder under would be any more reliable just because it's got an extra piston.

Last edited by CatonaPC©; 22-06-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 22-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #328
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why? Plenty of very reliable 3-cylinder motorcycle engines out there. In any case, this engine has been around for a while now as the 1.0L Ecoboost which had some initial problems sorted out by now. The 1.5L is based on that engine with further improvements. Time will tell of course, but there is no reason to believe a 4 cylinder under would be any more reliable just because it's got an extra piston.
Nothing wrong with 3 cylinder motorcycle engines, in motorcycles. The engine doesnt have to haul the same weight as a car..
Old 23-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #329
mickjf
Starter Motor

So after mulling over whether or not to get a small to mid sized hatch as a second family car and one my now L plate son could drive I decided to pull the trigger and get something. Goal was a base model, decent size for 4 passengers but as many safety features as possible.

Mazda 3 & Corolla - Simply too small in the back seats so crossed off immediately
Focus Trend - Great size, driveline and handling but at $30k+ simply too much for what it is plus insurance would be $1.4k with my son listed next year
Hyundai i30 Go - Good size, good driveline with safety pack $25k and $500 a year cheaper in insurance than the Focus

In the end I went with a Kia Cerato S auto with the safety pack for $22k on road. Driveline and handling are average (but acceptable), but the included safety and other features combined with the 7 year warranty and the cheapest for insurance made it the obvious choice.

I know Ford & Mazda are claiming that the market is heading upspec to justify cutting base models and hiking prices on what used to be their mid spec models. But so far their sales aren't exactly growing, whereas Kia and Hyundai are. I'm sure there is more profitability compared to the cheaper Koreans, but if they have to resort to discounts to shift cars then that will evaporate quite quickly.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #330
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjf View Post
I know Ford & Mazda are claiming that the market is heading upspec to justify cutting base models and hiking prices on what used to be their mid spec models. But so far their sales aren't exactly growing, whereas Kia and Hyundai are.
You make a claim that Ford and Mazda sales are not growing. Can you specifically state where you sourced your information? Bear in mind, that both Ford and Mazda have only just recently introduced new models, so it may be too early to say if their sales are not "exactly growing".

All the best with your new Kia.

Last edited by CatonaPC©; 23-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.