Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default One more inch of a wheel - what a difference?!

I had to take off my 17" mp3s (coz im getting them painted) and put on my stock 16"s. Boy what a difference!! Its like driving a totally different car. The ride is so supple and the steering so light. But then grip levels have gone and I cant tell what my front wheels are doing. Its like driving a family sedan :

Ok, its not as if I didnt know all this in theory. But strangely I hadnt noticed such a diff when I went from 16 to 17.

Honestly I cant wait to get my 17s back

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Lagom

What tyres are you running on the 16"s and what tyres are you running on the 17"s?
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

goodyear nct5's on the 16"
Yokohama S306 on the 17"

The goodyears are only slightly more worn than yokohamas...But yeah I know itll play a part in the grip levels

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 26-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Mick K.

I'm still waiting for some compatible 17" to come onto Ebay so am persevering with the stock 16s at the moment and was interested in your comparison.

Does anyone say anything good about the NCT5s? Dry grip is OK, but wet grip is pretty scary. My opinion is your difference in tyre quality is a bigger factor than the different wheel size. How about pressures - have the 16"s been sitting around for a year and dropped down to 20PSI or something ? In any case, you will have some additional tyre wall flex in the 16" one, so handling will be degraded a bit due to this.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Yeah they had, but the first thing I did was to inflate them to 29. And as I said, I know why theres a difference between the ride comforts of the 2.

But it was quite surprising to FEEL the difference

Normally I dont give unsolicited advice. But I suggest you go for a new set of wheels instead of waiting for them on ebay. I got my 17s from ebay for 560 or something. But now I have to repaint them (another 720 down the drain)coz its gone to the dogs. But I didnt end up losing though coz the tyres they came with, were surprisingly good.

Unless u get a REAL good bargain on ebay its a waste of time. Especially now that the stud pattern has changed I cant see too many ppl selling their LR compatible 17s.

Just my thoughts. Upto u

Old 26-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I just went to 17"s from 16's, turn in is noticeably better and they're a little more stable, but the fact I have Continental SportContact 2's on the 17"s (from Michelin Pilot Precedas) is probably the biggest factor as to why my jaw drops now every time I turn a corner, these tyres are breathtakingly amazing.
Old 27-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Yep thats my next set of tyres.......thats for sure

Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
Blue_ST170

I had them and now ive got the michelin PP2's which are the new version.

They're amazing in the dry but not as good as the old ones in the wet.......

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Ok Ive got my wheels back. They are metallic grey ( used to be white)

Some pics

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/P3030008.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...t/P3030009.jpg

Im gonna paint my brake calipers red. So better pics soon

Old 24-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
jono26
Starter Motor

im sell a set of 17 inch chrome mags from my focus! i want to get bigger ones. they have only done 3000km.
jono26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
tabaccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono26
im sell a set of 17 inch chrome mags from my focus! i want to get bigger ones. they have only done 3000km.
any pics?

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post