Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 31-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Dingo1963
Starter Motor

Default Wet rear seat and foot well

Have a BA and last night drove in torrential rain for 6 hours. This morning I noted the wet carpet in the right rear passenger floor mat. Further investigation identified very wet rear seat bench on right side also.
A check under the car/wheel arch, did not identify any obvious entry points for the water.
The car does not leak if just sitting in rain.
Anyone have this happen, if so what was the fix?
Appreciate member feedback.
Dingo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wet rear seat and foot well

The rubber seal on the boot wiring harness is notorious for leaking water into the car - more so if you park facing downhill.

Park it nose-downhill, pour a watering can full of water down the rear glass, and 1/2 hour later open the boot and check the levels in each side pocket where the boot hinge is - if the RH one is a lot lower than the left, then that's what's leaking.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

As said the boot hinge area can leak, especially if it gets blocked with leaves and crap...but this shouldn't do it while driving along.

Other possibilities are roof gutter rails, was your car ever a cop car or had lights on top etc, sometimes they leak up there under the black strip.

Also had one leak in through windscreen, it filled up back first but access point was actually front windscreen, check the black strip around the edge, the glue is under here, sometimes you can see a line where it is not sealing properly. It is normally on the bottom edge somewhere and while driving the water gets forced up and in by the airflow, hosing it wont show anything.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Dingo1963
Starter Motor

Thanks guys,
I was so buggered after the drive, I left the car in the driveway (downward slopping and facing). With the overnight rain, it probably did come through the rubber.
Your feedback is appreciated.
Dingo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo1963 View Post
Thanks guys,
I was so buggered after the drive, I left the car in the driveway (downward slopping and facing). With the overnight rain, it probably did come through the rubber.
Your feedback is appreciated.
Thats most likely what caused it. Also there is a sealed body joint directly under/behind the rear glass on each side that may not be sealed too well. If it dams up behind the rear window because of the car facing downhill, water from the bootlid and rear window will most likely run straight into the car from there and down onto the rear seat and footwell.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to step into a puddle after big storms, all fixed after changing one of my door seals that was deteriorated, so probably worth checking they're all in good nick too.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The rubber seal on the boot wiring harness is notorious for leaking water into the car - more so if you park facing downhill.

Park it nose-downhill, pour a watering can full of water down the rear glass, and 1/2 hour later open the boot and check the levels in each side pocket where the boot hinge is - if the RH one is a lot lower than the left, then that's what's leaking.
+ 1 - my BF 2 leaked badly until I sealed the boot harness properly. Thereafter I always parked it nose up hill as well.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #8
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate my BF RTV had like 3" of water in the rear foot wells every time we got a decent down poor took me ages to find the problem.Because it was a country car the front guards were full of mud and up in behind the inner guards above the sill.If you know what I mean.Washed out about 6kilo's of mud and no more worries.The mud sealed it to water and the water just kept rising until it found some way into the cabin.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post