Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 16-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Overseas difficulties

Hi guys, am about to go overseas with work, LA, London this time, have noticed in some places in the hotel I'm in (used to happen in Hong Kong but OK there now) I can't get AFF due to the 'site not liking the IP area or something. Very upsetting, I have to rush out for counselling! Anyway, I think the denial message sez something about writing to you guys for a fix.
Any ideas?
PS. I'm sure there's info on this on the forum but haven't looked.
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Other rides; '21 Jaguar F-Pace, '21 Ford Ranger FX4-MAX.

Last edited by FPVS3; 16-06-2015 at 07:29 AM.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Overseas difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
Hi guys, am about to go overseas with work, LA, London this time, have noticed in some places in the hotel I'm in (used to happen in Hong Kong but OK there now) I can't get AFF due to the 'site not liking the IP area or something. Very upsetting, I have to rush out for counselling! Anyway, I think the denial message sez something about writing to you guys for a fix.
Any ideas?
PS. I'm sure there's info on this on the forum but haven't looked.
Yep...

Lost track of the countless countries this happened in....

Right pain in the rear end!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Yep...

Lost track of the countless countries this happened in....

Right pain in the rear end!
So which is the bigger pain in the rear end.

Wading through endless spam to find anything useful on the site or having to send an email to admin@fordforums.com.au to ask for the particular block to be temporarily removed?

There is a reason that IP ranges are blocked - we don't do it unless the range has actually been used by multiple spammers attempting to gain access to AFF. Currently there are about 13,000 IP addresses or ranges blocked - a few are all the way down to the fourth octal (i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) while about 1/3rd are still at the second (xxx.xxx.*) and a further 1/3rd at the third octal (xxx.xxx.xxx.*).

When requests are received we can usually move from 2nd to 3rd octal to fix the issue.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem logging in from the USA but FF Admin fixed it immediately when I notified them
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Wading through endless spam to find anything useful on the site or having to send an email to admin@fordforums.com.au to ask for the particular block to be temporarily removed?

There is a reason that IP ranges are blocked - we don't do it unless the range has actually been used by multiple spammers attempting to gain access to AFF. Currently there are about 13,000 IP addresses or ranges blocked - a few are all the way down to the fourth octal (i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) while about 1/3rd are still at the second (xxx.xxx.*) and a further 1/3rd at the third octal (xxx.xxx.xxx.*).

When requests are received we can usually move from 2nd to 3rd octal to fix the issue.

Cheers
Russ
OK, thanks Russ, will try it out.

Cheers
Ritchie
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Old 16-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I had the same problem logging in from the USA but FF Admin fixed it immediately when I notified them
Ta,
Ritchie
Old 16-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Depending on what you work's policies are like you can just VPN into work from OS and then browse to AFF.
Old 16-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Depending on what you work's policies are like you can just VPN into work from OS and then browse to AFF.
Shhh
Old 16-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Had issues in Europe recently, but only on ipad, android phone worked ok but was too small and annoying to read.
I just went Cold Turkey and was happy not to be laying under one for 6 weeks.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I now live in the UK and often come across this issue. I bet Russ and the other admin team get sick and tired of my requests to unblock an IP address over here.

Once you let them know it is usually sorted within a few hours.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Cheers
Russ
That's all well and good but when I had the issue in Korea I asked a friend to email AFF via the 'contact us' with my details and the issue and got no reply.

Perhaps you can include a 'contact webmaster' on the block page if at all possible?

This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I used to spend half my life overseas. When this issue happened a quick message to admin and it was sorted within hours usually.

No matter where you are in the world, sometimes you need a FF fix.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
That's all well and good but when I had the issue in Korea I asked a friend to email AFF via the 'contact us' with my details and the issue and got no reply.

Perhaps you can include a 'contact webmaster' on the block page if at all possible?
I thought there was?
When it's happened to me in the past, a quick message to admin has always had it fixed quickly

Edit--->maybe it still allows PM and I've used that to contact admin.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:

There is one already. No such requests are ever ignored but it is of no use asking a third party to send the email as using the web form includes the IP address you are using at the time which is the critical piece of information to unblock it.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
There is one already. No such requests are ever ignored but it is of no use asking a third party to send the email as using the web form includes the IP address you are using at the time which is the critical piece of information to unblock it.

Russ

I did also send an email to the suggested address on the above site and got nothing.

The 3rd party was a backup due to the nil response to my email.

Old 17-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

I did also send an email to the suggested address on the above site and got nothing.

The 3rd party was a backup due to the nil response to my email.
That is the apache test page? Did you send a email to the Fedora Project team?
Old 17-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
That is the apache test page? Did you send a email to the Fedora Project team?
No I did not. And contacting them would have achieved nothing by the looks of things.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server_Test_Page

Quote:
About the Fedora Test Page

Installations of the httpd package in Fedora include a Test Page that greets visitors when the server is not properly configured. Despite the information that the page presents, this tends to confuse many people.

Website Visitors

Why am I seeing the Test Page?

When you attempt to visit a website and encounter this page, it indicates that the owner of the website you are visiting has not configured that website. They have installed the web server software on a system equipped with Fedora, but haven't finished setting it up. Fedora Project is not responsible for that website and cannot correct the issue. If you can track down the owner of the website, you can ask them to fix the problem.

Website Administrators

Why am I seeing the Test Page?

If you are the owner of a Fedora web server, and you are seeing the Test Page when you visit your site, it means that your configuration is incomplete. You will see this message anytime you do not have an index page in your document root. By default, the document root is /var/www/html, but your configuration could point to anywhere on the system.

How can I make this page go away?

To remove the page, you have two options. You can place a directory index in your document root, such as an index.html in /var/www/html, or you can disable the Test Page in your server's configuration. The latter can be done by commenting out the lines in /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf.

Old 17-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
No I did not. And contacting them would have achieved nothing by the looks of things.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server_Test_Page
So why did you post that, I'm a bit confused.....
Old 17-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
So why did you post that, I'm a bit confused.....
It shows that contacting the Fedora mob as you asked would have been useless.

Old 17-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It shows that contacting the Fedora mob as you asked would have been useless.
I know who Fedora are, I know what Apache is. I don't know why you originally posted that Apache test page. Never mind, I'll just move along........
Old 18-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #21
xbgt75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know who Fedora are, I know what Apache is. I don't know why you originally posted that Apache test page. Never mind, I'll just move along........
Its just like being at work
xbgt75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgt75 View Post
Its just like being at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
In that case, 2 intelligent people such as yourselves will know what is displayed on the screen from another country when AFF doesn't like the IP address then?

Old 18-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
In that case, 2 intelligent people such as yourselves will know what is displayed on the screen from another country when AFF doesn't like the IP address then?
That is the page that is displayed when you first install Apache. It's just the default index.html page that tells you the server is up and running. The developer/sysadmin replaces that page with real website content.

Not sure why you saw that, I've not seen it on AFF before but it could have been some strange redirect happening.
Old 18-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
That is the page that is displayed when you first install Apache. It's just the default index.html page that tells you the server is up and running. The developer/sysadmin replaces that page with real website content.

Not sure why you saw that, I've not seen it on AFF before but it could have been some strange redirect happening.
You can add to your list that it is also the page you see overseas when AFF doesn't like place you are accessing it from.

Old 18-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's not the page I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is the screen you see when your IP address is banned

Old 18-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That's interesting. Myself and others have got the screen I put up. I have never got that screen.

Old 18-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #28
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's interesting. Myself and others have got the screen I put up. I have never got that screen.
Like I said, that screen is the dummy index.html page that a non-configured web server has. It would be strange to see it happen from AFF. What you may have found is that you are connected onto a different network and it's redirecting you to some other server that is displaying that page.
Old 20-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #29
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm in an airplane at work so wont work, however did work in hotel in LA and here in London
Old 20-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #30
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
I'm in an airplane at work so wont work, however did work in hotel in LA and here in London
Yeah, id hope if your in the pointy end of the plane you're not surfing the next anyway!